1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CUSTOM I 5.11 I MOAB 10 I BACKPACK I

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Stockwellington, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Stockwellington

Stockwellington Loaded Pockets

Bag is For Sale Currently 7/6/2019

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/fs-custom-5-11-moab-10-backpack.140577/

[​IMG]

Like many of us, I have been trying to find the 'perfect' bag for years. I think now I have mine. But getting there was a long road trying out bags from Incase, Alpine, Jansport, Camebak, and GoRuck.

My first foray into the 'military style' was this GoRuck 10L Bullet. I stumbled onto them by chance and was really impressed with the build quality but after a year I decided it was too Spartan for my needs, sold it, and went back on the hunt.

[​IMG]

Then I found these forums. And in turn the 5.11 MOAB 10 sling. I was hesitant because of the single strap but pulled the trigger and purchased one. The build quality really amazed me. The fabric was much more comfortable compared to the GoRuck, but still felt durable.

[​IMG]

About 6 months went by and I loved everything about the MOAB except the sling strap. Then, thanks to the forums, I found the CamelBak Mil-Tac HAWG. It seemed so similar to the MOAB1 0, except it had that extra strap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I picked one up after some searching, I was set on the 2013 model in the Foliage color. I put the MOAB up for sale.
    However, I was disappointed with HAWG. The front admin compartment was too high on the bag and when weighed down would cause the bag to fold over on itself. I EDC my bag and my load out is minimal. So this meant that I was never going to fill up the HAWG to help support that front pocket from behind. I also didn't like having to unbuckle the clips to get in that front pocket, which is where 90% of my use was on the MOAB.

So I sold the HAWG and canceled the MOAB auction and went back to searching the forums for ideas. Then I found a post by mikshir who had converted his MOAB into a backpack. I decided this was the only course of action for me.

I noticed that if I could get a donor strap from another MOAB10, I could attach it and run it into the other sling mount using the Duraflex clips that are on that bag. I promptly emailed 5.11.

I contacted two different 5.11 reps simultaneously about my request: a replacement sling strap for my bag. I inquired about purchasing the parts. One rep said nope, not possible, sorry about your luck. But the other said, "We don't have that color but we do have a black one, I'll send it out. I was excited that I had made some progress and it looked like I would be able to make this happen. Even if the colors would be off. I assumed I would figure something out.

Two weeks go by, no packages. Then one night, UPS knocks and deliver a box from 5.11. It's a big box. I open it and find a brand new complete MOAB 10 bag in Storm gray. Talk about customer service. I was amazed!

[​IMG]

Now that I had all the pieces, I was ready to get this thing built. I removed the strap from the donor bag and my original bag. I realized I was committed at this point, staring at my two strapless bags.

[​IMG]

I took the original bag and both straps to a shoe repair shop. We did some test fitting with the straps pinned on and decided how far apart they should be attached to the bag, which was about 1.5". And I'll note, the new straps are sewn to the same area as the sling was from the factory.

[​IMG]

I have removed the pocket on one strap and am contemplating removing the other. I never use these and thought they were eye-sores.

[​IMG]

Overall I am really happy with the it. The bag is begging to be modified with the way it is laid out. I was fortunate to get a free strap to make this conversion. I would never have bought another MOAB 10 just to cannibalize it. What would really make sense is for 5.11 to offer a backpack variant.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

*UPDATES*

I took the bag to Colorado with me and it's performed great.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Stockwellington, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. clandr1

clandr1 Loaded Pockets

Pretty dang cool.

3. mikshir

mikshir Loaded Pockets

Well done! And I'm pleased at your luck on getting a donor. Now that you have a strapless moab10 it might be worth getting an inexpensive donor for 2 straps for a 2nd go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Nice mod there. I liked the Moab 10 but as a sling pack it never rode right on me. So I went up to the Nitro. I'd actually be intrested in a 2 strap Moab 10.

Well. Would have been. I have a Direct Action Dust now.. but if they had a 2 strap Moab before I bought it...

Thesteve_global likes this.
  5. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

Very nice mode. How well does it ride on your back? And how did you remove the strap, did u cut it off or undo the stiching?

Sent From Another Dimension

6. Stockwellington

Yeah, that's the plan. I've see a few bags that might work for <$40, which is my target range.

I would really like to use the factory attachment points for the straps on the bottom. Get a couple female ends for new straps and use the male bottom ones the bag already has, if that makes sense..?

[​IMG]

How are the straps attached at the bottom on your conversion?

JoeyJelly likes this.
  7. Stockwellington

It rides perfect. I'll get some pics soon. I used a sharp blade and cut the threads holding it on. It was simple, just needed to be mindful of not cutting the actual fabric, just threads.

8. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Sweet! Makes me think that's what 5.11's version of a TAD Litespeed would look like.

With your strap-less MOAB10, have you thought about trying a Hill People Gear shoulder harness? Would be interesting.

9. Stockwellington

No I haven't heard of that company before. Just checked it out, looks promising. And the color looks like it would be a close match.

[​IMG]

I was looking at a Drago bag because my local gun store stocks them, and they are right around $40.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

send the photos to someone at 5.11 and show them your work. maybe they'd take some suggestions with those great pics you have.

very well done, i must say. that is one helluva job you did.

Stockwellington and steeps like this.
  11. Stealth digger

Stealth digger Loaded Pockets

that looks like the perfect bag and i want one. i use a Moab 6 everyday and it is fantastic but some days i wish i had more space. I owned a moab 10 for a couple months and loved the layout of the bag but not a sling.
    Great job !

Stockwellington likes this.
  12. ShortRound131

ShortRound131 Loaded Pockets

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread...

I thought I was the only one with frankenstein bags.... I did something similar to my Moab 6 recently. I didn't like the single strap and wanted to wear it like a messenger bag.... So I cut off the single strap and attached a shoulder strap I had from another bag. I never liked the way the bag sat on my body with the strap.

You can still see where the main strap used to be in the photo and I need a nicer way to attached the strap to the Moab, currently have cable ties to do the job.

I like the way the bag feels on the body now and have been edc'ing it to work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. BeardedDane

BeardedDane Empty Pockets

Oh my lord that thing is a beauty! Well done sir, Well done!

14. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Very well done!

On that note, the only thing I dislike about the HAWG is the straps. I thought of taking the straps off of a Linchpin and putting them on my HAWG.

15. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

How would you say a two strap Moab 10 compares to a Tactical Tailor Concealed Carry Backpack? Pros and Cons?

16. gnarley.jeep84

gnarley.jeep84 Loaded Pockets

Very nice! I have been looking at the Moab 10 lately for an EDC but I love the two strap option. 5.11 needs to get on this.

17. Stockwellington

I think it might be tough to find someone to answer that question. As far as I know, there are only two people with this MOAB setup and one of them doesn't have any experience with that TT bag. Maybe mikshir does.

mikshir likes this.
  18. mikshir

mikshir Loaded Pockets

I have the TT ROP and the modified MOAB. I use both. The ROP is small and light and I keep it in the car as a backup spare (and it gets a lot of use in that capacity). My MOAB rotates in as my work EDC.

Comparing, the MOAB is better suited as EDC, has copious webbing and a fantastic tall admin area that in a pinch I can strap as a beavertail. It is also heavier as a bag made out of the heavy 1k dinier material. It is also full clamshell in the main pocket which I prefer in general. It is in my opinion the more versitile in features and design compared to the ROP. But I like and use both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

steeps and Stockwellington like this.
  19. Wizard Nick

Wizard Nick Loaded Pockets

Trolling this thread and I agree with the sling issue, I have a Moab 6, but if you like the 10 how come you just didn't get the Rush 12. I have the Rush 24 and use the straps to piggyback my Moab 6 when I am carrying heavy....just wondering

20. Stockwellington

I like the slimmer profile of the MOAB compared to the Rush 12. I believe it's 18L compared to 24L.

[​IMG]

Photo from this thread: http://edcforums.com/threads/looking-for-a-new-sling-bag.118334/