1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Current State of the World

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by egp, Apr 18, 2021.

1. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

A part of EDC, is protection and how to survive, I'm curious how concerned people are with the way things are going, the constant protests/riots, misc. violence in the streets, the random shootings, which are now targeting everyone or anyone. There's a couple random threads about things we carry in our vehicles, how prepared are you if something happens while out in your vehicle.

Wife and I were running some errands today, sitting at a traffic light she suddenly jumped and yelled, when I turned, there was a road rage incident happening not 50' away, not sure what precipitated the incident, but a guy had gotten out of his car and was punching at the side window on the car ahead of him. While I normally drive with my head on a swivel, this caught me off guard for a moment too. Natural instinct was to run the red light and clear the area, which fortunately the light changed anyhow. When we got home, I started to go back through some books in my bookcase regarding vehicle E&E as a refresher.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Where I live (Holland) there is nothing going on apart from a few anti lockdown protests. I follow world news, and it seems to me the US is in a very bad place now. It's like watching an empire crumble before your eyes. Of course, I don't live there. So maybe it's not as bad as the media want you to believe. Can you tell me if there is any truth to what the media are saying, or is it over hyped?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

post tenebras and Bad Company like this.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What you likely see are just a few places in turmoil. For every one of those events in those places, there are likely 10,000 other places in which those events have not occurred in that manner; nor will they ever; just as in any other country in the world.

The US is a VERY large county and what you see on the media is just a microcosm: a “snippet” designed to ensnare your attention for various reasons too complex to adequately describe in this tiny forum post.

I was in one of those places that the media loves to focus just very recently. The fellow professionals that accompanied me were in a very highly heightened state of preparedness.

In that particular very small section of that municipality, a few blocks, it was similar to isolated places in several parts of the world during their worst times. Unfortunately, I’ve been in those places as well and some of them were right here in the US and this is just one of them.

There is a very visual component of the news that further underscore the severity of the event. Accompanied by high-decibel audio, it makes the event that much more indelible to those from afar absorbing the isolated catatonia as representative of the totality of a nation undergoing the present rigors of cyclical civil unrest.

Travel a mile from that site and it is “business as usual.”

Last edited by 0dBm, Apr 19, 2021
    #3 0dBm, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    kikaida, FiaOlleDog, jag-engr and 3 others like this.
  4. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

"If it bleeds.......it leads."
    ~mainstream media~

FiaOlleDog, jag-engr and ccwaters like this.
  5. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Just as I thought. Blown out of proportion, so to speak. Not in those places, obviously. But the media want us to think that the US is burning...

jag-engr likes this.
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Blown INTO proportion: theirs. It’s what sells subscriptions.

Just like every other county in this world, the US will always be “burning” in some small way or fashion. I lived through it during the 1960s and that passed. This period will pass as well.

A small amount of anarchy is a good reminder of the good that exists and that we must not allow that good to perish into oblivion. We worked too hard to achieve it. I’m in the company of good men and women who will NOT allow that achievement to be undone; at least not without a dedicated fight.

surefire7, A.B. and jag-engr like this.
  7. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

I believe there are multiple parts to all of it, depending on where you live in the U.S., it is very much "if it bleeds it leads", and many things are overhyped, but, in other areas, it's a very real.

A big part of the problem on that end, I believe lies with a comment made by a Circuit Court Judge recently regarding the media bias, how so much of the media have become mouthpiece, almost propagandists for one side of the aisle, and helping to ferment the problems. We have a political situation brewing in which we have members of Congress inciting violence, and their comments being dismissed by leadership, while that same person(s) has called for the impeachment and prosecution of others. I hadn't intended for this discussion to become a political one, or an attack on the media, although that needs to happen.

I find that in every city there are different situations that arise on the daily, that should honestly be something of concern, things that are not reported in the media, or more often downplayed in the media because it doesn't fit their narrative.

surefire7 and A.B. like this.
  8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Even though I live in a very peaceful corner of the world, the “state of the world” around me has affected my behavior to some degree.
    Not so much with regards to EDC though, but rather more in the direction of prepping. I hate to use that word, because it’s bound to kick off some associations that are very far off from what I’m doing.
    I’m just trying to build up a common sense level of supplies so we can comfortably sustain some days without food, water or power. Not a EOTW scenario by any stretch.
    There hasn’t been any issues with supplies yet, but Covid has shown how fragile the supply chain is, and increasing political tension on trade agreements doesn’t improve the situation.
    Just based on probability, severeness and how easily it can be mitigated, it seems like pretty low hanging fruit to just buy a couple more items than I need every time I go to the grocery store.

There’s no riots, no protests, no anything. Violence and crime has gone down from a very low normal to be almost non existent. People mostly work from home and keep to themselves. My biggest fear is that all this peace and quiet in the middle of the storm makes people ignorant toward the underlaying problems and susceptible to false narratives that ultimately can lead to bad decisions. Decisions that takes us down the same slippery road of cancellation, censoring and wokeness as we see in the US.
    Not that those discussions are absent in the current climate, but they are at least rational and sensical. For the time being.

surefire7, FiaOlleDog and A.B. like this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Same here. Food, drink and supplies for a few days. I don't have a doomsday bunker somewhere (and if I had one I would say the same thing muhahaha). But that is just common sense...

surefire7 likes this.
  10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Same here is Austria. Apart from some, very rare, and small protests there is not much going on. The only thing that I worry about is, that there is a flare up of public fascism displayed during those. But on the flip side, the number of brown knuckle heads showing up there is small.
    Since the start of the pandemic we only had a toilet paper crisis, for one week. Maybe I’m nearsighted here, but it feels for me that there is more going on in the US. The pandemic came together with the presidential election and with it an even stronger political division of the country. Guess you “feel” all of this together more, when you are living in the United States.
    That said, this is not a good topic to discuss.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  11. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Why not?

12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Political discussions are not part of this forums agenda.

echo victor and Bad Company like this.
  13. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

I agree with @ThaMac above.
    There are plenty of other forums on the internet to discuss politics. It should not be discussed here.

echo victor likes this.
  14. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

To be fair, the OP didn’t start this thread off as a political thread.
    Politics is partly what took us to this current state, but how it affects each of us and how we choose to mitigate these effects, is something that could perfectly well be discussed within this forum. It just requires some basic discipline from the participants

surefire7, FiaOlleDog and kukla like this.
  15. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

THANK YOU!
    I was looking at it as more of a social than a political topic, which to me makes it an absolutely appropriate discussion.

16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Politics took it to what it is, in the US. That’s not the “State of the world”.

17. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Practically any subject you talk about, political can be attached to it,... that's just an excuse to censor folk and end freedom of speech basically.

This is pretty clear over these last 12 months or so by the main media, they are only pushing one narrative, censoring many doctors and scientists even, that's outrageous in my opinion. Trouble is, majority of folk are either stupid or have indeed been brainwashed so can't see it.

I am deeply concerned about all our futures, folk really need to wake up before it's too late,....we got to stop the people who are trying to take the world down this path.

Sewersnoid, kukla and A.B. like this.
  18. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Tallboyjim and A.B. like this.
  19. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

.................and nobody is forced to participate in a conversation.
    But to "cancel" a discussion just because one disagrees or becomes uncomfortable with it is wrong.
    I see this happen frequently on the "Nextdoor" forum, where someone gets their feathers ruffled and they go screaming to the moderator to remove the whole topic, the whole conversation that many people are involved in.
    It doesn't matter that everyone is being civil and following guidelines, it's the subject matter that so offends them that they can't just ignore the conversation (there is a even a button for that!).
    They have to yank the rug out from under everyone else.
    That's some real tolerant open-mindedness going on there.

surefire7, FiaOlleDog and earthman like this.
  20. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

I thought the whole concept of these forums, and EDC in general, was to discuss the items we carry, and how they relate to the world around us. We come here, prepared to survive everything from a papercut to a power outage to civil unrest, and when it gets a little too real, people want to shut it down for being political? So what, we can only discuss certain topics when it is some far off theoretical thing? I say, this is what's happening in our world, let's discuss how our carry has changed or how it's helped us. And if you take it as political (which it never has been and shouldn't be) then nobody is making you get involved.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk