1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Crystal replacement?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Tromba, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Ok watch people help me out.

I have this watch as my beater. I use it for outdoors activities, camping, exercising, etc. I love the watch except that it has an acrylic "crystal" which is showing signs of wear. It has a few pretty deep scratches in it.

I am fairly certain that I could send it back to timex and pay to have it replaced. I am more interested in replacing it with a mineral glass or maybe even sapphire for better durability. The problem though is the irregular shape. It is a circle with a flat bottom. I did a little bit of searching from sites where you can buy crystals but I didn't have any luck.

Can it be found? Is it possible to get one custom done? At that point would the price even be worth it?

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Everything is possible! I highly doubt you will find sapphire precut to fit this watch, but one can probably be made to fit. Keep in mind tho that these type of watches can only hold a very very thin glass so sapphire at that thickness might not be the unbeatable material you hope it to be. Also it will set you back a couple hundred dollars at least. Mineral glass would be cheaper but you will run in the same issues only less so. Honestly i think that with a watch in this pricerange you are better off just buying a whole new unit and maybe see if you can find a bumper frame for it like gshocks have.

3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Given the price your watch is selling for at the moment, getting the crystal replaced is going to be vastly more expensive than just buying a new watch for $40... I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of the crystal equalling a new watch, and that is ignoring the cost of actually getting it fitted.

What would be worth investigating would perhaps be polishing up the current crystal yourself - have a look into products like polywatch which are designed to do exactly this with a bit of elbow grease. Depending on how bad the scratches really are, you may not get a perfect 'as new' finish to it, but it should definitely let you clean up a lot of the more minor marks.

MojoMarine and Tromba like this.
  4. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Thank you.

5. MojoMarine

MojoMarine Loaded Pockets

You can also visit a boating supply store... look for acrylic plexiglass scratch remover/polish. Comes in a spray can.. it is used to renew plexiglass boat windows which are the same material as your plexiglass crystal. This will save $. But do not go crazy... the stuff works and may remove the "character" your watch has earned over the years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Is this the same stuff I see ads for on late nite TV for DIY cleaning the fog off headlight lenses on cars?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David