1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cruse ship carry ideas?!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by NeverAnonymous, Feb 11, 2013.

1. NeverAnonymous
    • In Omnia Paratus

NeverAnonymous Loaded Pockets

Going on a cruse soon, and they don't allow knives or a leathermen. Looking for some ideas!

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

What about a SAK?

3. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

I have brought my Swiss tool on every cruise I have been on, In my checked luggage.

GHS likes this.
  4. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

SAK or multi-tool. I take on with me in my checked luggage any time I travel.

Take a flashlight and extra batteries as well!

5. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Flashlight that you can tether to your belt or a belt loop. Wouldn't want that to go overboard.

Very awkward picture, but you get the point.
    [​IMG]

SAKplumber and NeverAnonymous like this.
  6. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

booze in mouthwash bottles? from what i understand, that's the common practice. you couldn't pay me to go on a cruise as that breaks the deal i have with the sharks: i stay away from their ocean, they stay outta my yard. just sayin'.

7. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pay close attention to the registry of the ship you're cruising on. Once you're in international waters, you're essentially in the country whose flag is flying on the back, and the captain is bound to enforce the laws of that country.

So...a SAK under 3" is probably fine. Any flashlight is fine, but you never know when those Li-Ion cells will get you in trouble, so stick with AAs. Some captains will let you use ham radio gear, others won't.

Take extra Purell. And Immodium (or whatever you use for the trots.)

powerring and vegassprky like this.
  8. NeverAnonymous
    • In Omnia Paratus

Like the idea, but I'm defiantly only 17... ;)

defuse kit likes this.
  9. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I'm defiantly 16, but the government keeps trying to make me almost 30. Scoundrels!

10. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

:rofl:

11. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Keyring scissors and a small prybar. You don't need much - if anything goes wrong, call the purser's desk and it will be taken care of, fairly quickly.
    Maybe a cigarette lighter, flashlight and a hat or protections from the weather in case of a power failure.
    Enough tools to maintain your laptop or fix your glasses.

A multitool is either grossly inadequate or too heavy.

You don't need much. Most cruises are not adventures in anything, unless you are on an actual adventure cruise.

12. Kones

Kones Loaded Pockets

Given the current news, I'd suggest powerbars, spam and toilet paper

13. Erasergirl

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

an inflatable raft, MRE's and PFDs!

14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was just going to say - check out the cruise ship horror stories and then decide.

A flashlight on the belt at a minimum, say another two in the bags with spare batteries. A couple of empty bottles you can fill with water and keep available in the room. Baby wipes and hand sanitizer for personal hygiene in the field. If you're feeling really cautious, put some long-term snacks in the bottles for packing, then leave both snacks and bottles of water in the room.

What the captain doesn't know won't hurt him - I'm not suggesting a Rambo-sized hunting knife, but a reliable pocket knife and multi-tool wouldn't be bad. Just be discreet.

15. NeverAnonymous
    • In Omnia Paratus

Maybe in a ccw pocket

16. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

My wife likes to travel light (purse-less) when we're onboard. I still carry my purse. =)

Room Keys: While I put mine in my wallet, my wife wears her around her neck on a lanyard. On Princess, key cards now come pre-hole-punched for that purpose.

Comms: FRS/GPSS radios are probably ok. We've brought them on board in checked luggage and used them on the ship before without any trouble. Discretion probably helps.

Knives: don't get me started

Water: We like to bring a Klean Kanteen insulated bottle. Our room steward keeps the ice bucket topped up, and we refill pretty much whenever we eat.

Meds: Do you, or those you'll be with, get seasick? Ginger remedies, Bonine, and Rx patches are worth a shot if so. These are all available on the ship at higher prices. It also really helps to have a balcony room to get fresh air and look at the horizon during a seasickness attack, but those may be limited and/or price-prohibitive depending on your ship.

Packable Windbreaker: We each bought one before our kiwi cruise last fall, and they came in handy many times. It's amazing how chilly the sea breeze can get. :cold: Similarly, I was glad I had my wide brimmed hat, Buff, and gloves.

Now getting a little off topic as far as EDC gear goes, but anyway:

Paracord: as useful as ever. String up impromptu laundry/drying lines, hold doors open, keep things from making noise as the ship moves, etc.

Electronics: ask your cruise line about the power in your room (voltage, plug type, etc) if you're an electronics geek like me. It helps that consumer electronics are increasingly 100-240V compatible or USB-chargeable, so it's a lot easier than traveling 10-20 years ago. I bring a short 4-plug power strip because they never have enough plugs for my gear. My flashlights pretty much all run off the same LiFePO4 CR123s, so I don't need to carry too many primaries or extras.

Laundry supplies: get those little self-contained detergent pods if you plan on doing laundry. Again supplies are available on the ship, but this way you can choose your detergent (e.g. if you have allergy issues) and save some money.

Horror Stories: Don't worry about it. News is news because it's unusual, not because it's commonplace. Statistically speaking, the most dangerous part of your cruise will be the drive to the port.

Expectations: You're going to be nickeled and dimed. They'll try to sell you a bunch of stuff every chance they get. It's less annoying if you're expecting it!

While cruising isn't for everyone, every cruise line offers a different experience so shop around until you find your groove or decide you really hate it. My wife and I are in our 30s, and we love cruising with Princess along with their 50s to 70s crowd because we like having quiet, relaxing vacations. Norwegian was great but they had plenty of screaming kids, Cunard would be way too formal for us, Carnival would have too much drinking, etc.

Have fun!

Wolfhound0023 likes this.
  17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ooooh...I'll have to think about a Carnival cruise after all...;)

EtA: I'd like to point out that Kirby's "don't panic - statistical anomaly" EDC list far exceeds my "ya know, watch the news and here are my suggestions." :frantic:

18. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

I sailed on the Norwegian Sun over a year ago and was able to get my LM Wave onboard in checked luggage. When I sailed Celebrity cruise line this past December I had my SAK confiscated even though it was in checked luggage. I had to sign a form and had it returned to me after I returned home and made it through customs; at least it was returned to me. So I guess it depends what cruise line you're sailing on as to what you may be able to get on board in your checked luggage.

19. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Considering what's been going on with that Carnival ship, I would think hygiene products, and a couple boxes of Power/Clif Bars and several lbs. of beef jerky.

Sriracha likes this.
  20. Ktowngunner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ktowngunner Loaded Pockets

Flashlight that stays on or near you, backup in the bag with batteries. I've carried a small leatherman (juice) and never had a problem. +1 on the water bottle idea. We put some power bars in ours while traveling then when we got to the room filled up the water bottles. Every day we replaced it with fresh, should something happen (which is EXTREMELY rare), you have fresh water in bottles in your room.

I'd also throw in a good book or two, some sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, and some of your favorite music... ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!! :D