1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cross Country Journeying.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by senorinfinito, Aug 17, 2010.

1. senorinfinito

senorinfinito Empty Pockets

I have a bit of an odd situation. I went through the forums and I couldn't really find another topic that dealt with this, but nothing really fit correctly.

In sum, I'm planning to be on the road for a few months without stopping back home. I'm intending to travel the country (all 50 states if I can make it) and I'm not going to be driving myself, so I want to carry everything I should need. I could be on a bus, train, car, or just hoofing it to get around. I'll regularly be in urban areas, but I may still be out in the middle of nowhere, too.

Given that, the bag should really be willing to endure a lot of abuse from most any type of climate. I'm intending to do a lot of writing, so I don't really need room for a camera (my smartphone should be sufficient for most pictures/videos I'd want to take) and, for safety/weight reasons, I'm going to avoid bringing my laptop with me. Just clothes enough for two-three months of travel and room for notebooks and some food and water. Finally, if at all possible, I'd love to be able to use the bag long after taking the trip as it's not exactly something I am intending to repeat (not a multi-month trip, at least).

I was looking at Maxpedition backpacks and the Falcon II seems like it could be a good fit. Are there any better packs out there for what I would need that I'm overlooking?

2. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

3. traildigger

traildigger Loaded Pockets

The Falcon II is a great pack I'm sure, but don't you think you might want a little more room that that? At 1520 CI it's smaller than the Condor II I have with 1950 CI and I couldn't imagine going 2/3 months out of it. I'd try something along the lines of Mystery Ranch Snapdragon or Big Sky......http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/sc.11/category.10/.f

4. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

I love my Jandd Zoor Alpinist. Plenty of cargo room, but compact enough to squeeze into the overhead compartment every time. It is my primary long travel bag. A tough mother too.

5. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Loaded Pockets

6. Straza

Straza Loaded Pockets

7. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

8. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I've had my Falcon II for several years now. It's a bit heavy (read indestructible), but it's got great organizational features. As a panel loading pack, it's extremely useful for going through checkpoints if you're carrying a computer. As a backcountry pack, you will probably need a light-weight cover to keep out the rain/snow.

9. BCKane

BCKane Empty Pockets

Just a suggestion, but i have been very happy with the Kelty Redwing. I believe it is a bit larger than the Falcon II, but at the same time, you may want to take a few more "luxuries" with you if you are going to be hoofing it for some time.

10. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

The Falcon II is barely suitable for an overnight much less an extended trip.
    You should look more at something the Vultures size if you want to stick with Maxped.
    I think you'll find that the heavier nylon they use adds undue weight to the pack.

I second the nomination of the Kelty Redwing.
    Great travel/hiking pack that can still be suitable for regular use.

11. mlau

mlau Loaded Pockets

Check out onebag.com,

I'd recommend carrying minimal stuff, but investing in higher quality kit.
    For example: quick drying synthetic clothings (especially socks and underwear).

I have the 5.11 tactical pants, and they're great for both casual outings, and somewhat-casual business things. I'd recommend against the 5.11 heatgear longsleeve shirt because it has terrible ventilation. I'd highly recommend a good travel towel, a good scarf and a hat.
    A silk sleep sack is a great addition and prevents bedbug attacks (as I can attest to after a hostel stay in Tokyo).

Unless you're seriously camping in the boonies, I'd suggest against carrying a full camping kit, as most things can be simply scrounged or bought cheaply.

While I have a MEI Executive overnighter (great for business/vacation trips), it's awkward for serious walking. I'd rcommend getting a backpacking backpack instead. Lighter, easier to walk with.

If it's possible, I'd really recommend just packing a small rucksack with two changes of clothes, toilettries, (travel towel), a pad of paper and a writing implement. You can change out your clothes on the road. The writing pad will be incredibly useful (maps, thank you's, random sketches, getting intel.) The small rucksack will be inconspicuous, comfortable, and let you mingle without saying "I'm a backpacker!"

12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I did a "Travel the Continent Trip" through Europe. I spent about six weeks traveling by train, plane and bus. I also did a lot of walking to get to see the sights.

I spent time with friends, at hotels and also sleeping on the train at night while I was getting to the next spot. Sometimes, I would leave my gear in a station locker and then leave for the day to come back and get back on the train.

When I got back to the US, my pick up at airport the never showed and I had to take a shuttle to a hotel near my house and walk the last five miles home.

I still travel a great deal for work and pleasure and have come to expect that a laundromat and pharmacy may be luxuries or difficult to find in some places simply because you don't have 90 minutes to sit watching the Whirlpool or don't know where they are nearby. Since you are traveling the US, this won't be as much of a problem.

There is nothing worse for me than traveling all day, sweating and smelling of my own *** and feet.

I always kept clean, spare under garments and socks (I carry spare socks when I play golf and walking with my bag), small umbrella, two pairs of comfortable shoes, music, phone, and a two pens.

The best solution that I have ever found is a backpack which is so much easier than anything on wheels. I learned to use a convertible pack. And I still travel with a convertible pack for carry-on unless the trip is business only (from the airport to the hotel to the meeting).

Here is one of the packs that I loved. This isn't a sales pitch. Get one from anywhere with the features that you want. You will not be sorry.

http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/75078-Moving-Sale-on-Packs-Lights-Knives!-Prices-Keep-Dropping

13. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

14. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

For a trip that long I woud need to go with my girl Alice. The old Alice pack is hard to beat and a large Alice pack will hold more than you want to take anywhere. I have tried others over the years but I keep returning to Alice. You will find those who love Alice and those who hate her. She has never let me down so you know what side I fall on.

Good luck and have a nice trip.