1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CRKT Techliner Refills

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Fred_Miller, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Fred_Miller

Fred_Miller Empty Pockets

I have a few of the Ti2 Design Techliners that use the Uni Jetstream refill. Decided to jump on a CRKT version that ships with the Space Pen refill. I just don't like that refill so I swapped with a Schmidt Easy Flow 9000. I get the occasional leakage out the nose of the refill and sometimes it stops until I remove it from the pen and put it back. I am guessing the magnets interfere with the ink? I know this was an issue with early designs and some inks. I will start trying other refills but anyone have any experience with this model yet? My bet is the Uni Jetstream version in a Parker style refill will work fine.

2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence. The situation arising with only 1 refill may just be a defective refill, or it may, in fact, be related to the design of the pen. I would try a different Schmidt Easy flow refill to double check. If it leaks again, 2 is a trend.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'll go out on a limb, @Fred_Miller that the Space Pen refill you had was: black ink, medium point, and gave a blobby result? Pretty common with that refill. FWIW, the fine point Space Pen refills with blue ink perform much much better and many of us go that route.

I use Schmidt refills often, including the Easy Flow 9000. I second @Tesla... you may have just gotten a lemon for some reason. Although I'm not sure why he's saying it could be related to the design of the pen... What do ya say @Tesla? Can you clarify? Would love to know...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Since the pen uses magnets, @Fred_Miller my be inferring that the ink in the Schmidt refill has some ferrous or other magnetic component and that that is causing the leakage. I doubt that to be the case, but can't rule it out, as I don't own that pen, myself. I personally don't like the Space Pen refills in ANY point or color configuration. I prefer my ink dark and easily applied, whereas the Fisher ink is thick but not dark. I'm guessing that @Fred_Miller feels the same. The blobby thing wasn't that big a deal to me. I do admit to owning 3 pens with Fisher refills, but they are targeted for backpacking, and special purpose uses, not day-to-day.

5. Fred_Miller

The refill I poached from another pen so it was working. I will try another however. My main issue with the Space Pen refill is the thick heavy formulation of the ink.I found I have a tendency to bear down to get the ink to flow, causing hand cramps. I normally use Fountain pens and roller balls for the lighter perceived touch. Though the Hybrid or emulsion inks seem to work well with my heavy hand.

The early pens were built around the Uni 207 refill and the Jetstreams would stop working so they changed the magnets to allow that ink to flow. I was just suspicious that this magnet (which isn't the same as Ti2 one) might be affecting the ink.

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Never have dealt with a magnets/ink issue such as you gents are discussing. Must be above my 'pay grade'. ;)

@Fred_Miller: I have been known to also hang out on the Fountain Pen Network; http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/ . Many folks there DO use and carry pens other than fountain pens; someone there may be able to shed light if you want to pursue further....

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

7. Fred_Miller

Update: Two different Easy Flow refills have the same issue. Something about the ink or the ball and socket construction doesn't seem to work well with the magnets. I have a few Uni Jetstream Parker style refills and that works fine. Maybe it's because the EF9000 has a broader point than the Jetstream, maybe it is the ink. Anyway. It now works and I am happy.

Tesla and twin63 like this.