1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CRKT Carriers speak up

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jbo, May 3, 2008.

1. Tex8746

Tex8746 Loaded Pockets

I have 3 CRKT KISS knives, I love how reliable and solid they all feel, I am really debating picking up the M16-14SF instead of my Coldsteel (Taiwan) knife. I probly will just becuase of CRKT's reputation and for the same reason I carry a Glock21 I know it will work when I need it to.

edit: just did, M16-14SF in DCU in the mail and on the way. from american-armynavy.com got it for only $58 as opposed to MSRP 130ish

2. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

I have EDCd 2 CRKT knives, unfortuenly I lost my Crawford/Casper and replaced the S-2 Titanium with a Benchmade. Niether models are made any more... a shame b/c they were awesome knives for the price.

I hate all of their M-XX knives, they are blocky and the liner locks are too recessed.

3. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

i have the crkt m16-14sf. Not a bad knife at all. It was a gift.

its kinda big for my purposes as a folder, so i just leave it open and locked. I made a little kydex sheath for it in that role which does its job.

a couple days ago i made a spear point version of the knife as a fixed blade using 1095 steel. Once i finish the handles we'll see how well it does.

but in general i like the flippers as an opening method, and the knife itself serves me well. I'd get another one someday.

4. Tex8746

Tex8746 Loaded Pockets

Thats a good thing, I'm purchasing it b/c I find more often than not it's nice to have a big heavy folder for nothing else other than the presence, my CS has a 4" blade

but then again I guess you could say I'm compensating :lolhammer:

5. Itamimasu

Itamimasu Loaded Pockets

I love my CRKT's. I had a blade break on a Mirage, but other than that no worries.
    I've EDCed Old black betty for like a year or more, and have cut almost everything with her.
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii70/Itamimasu/Oldbb2.jpg[/img]
    And I have an old K.I.S.S. tanto, a Stiff K.I.S.S., and a MAK-1

6. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

I own a couple of CRKTs, but they are way down my list for every day carry. A lot of my other knives would have to break or get lost before I dropped one of my CRKT knives in my pocket.

7. reluctantpawn

reluctantpawn Empty Pockets

I have been carrying a model 21 for awhile since I had to send my sebby back to Chris.[An original carried everywhere for 15 years, the pocket clip came loose and needs replacement.] I have been well pleased and will probably continue to do so in places where it might get lost or reappropriated. It has held up extremely well.

reluctantpawn

8. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

key chaining a tiny peck

9. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

My only EDC knives are CRKT M16's. For work I'll clip on an M16-10KZ and for duty/civilian use it's an M16-14SF.

Never had trouble with the Auto-LAWKS. I actually kinda like it on the 14SF. As big as that folder is, the satisfying 'ker-CHUNK' of it smacking home reminds me of racking a shell into a shotgun.

10. rleikis

rleikis Empty Pockets

I've been carrying the M16-14SF (non Auto-LAWKS) and love it. It was a perfect gift from my brother when he came home from Iraq.

Just this last weekend I noticed the M16-10KZ at walmart for $20 and had to grab it, it's like a little brother to my 14-SF. The only drawback of the 10KZ is that it doesn't flip open via the half-hilt as well as the 14SF does with the full-hiltAfter inspection I found that it has a nasty stick to it via the notch in the spring, but I've been making tweaks to it to loosen up the grab on the notch. It'll be a great edition once I get it worn in just right. Of note I would not recommend that anyone fully remove the notch on the spring since that will increase the surface area and friction against the blade when opening. Having the blade rides on the notch (bump) while the blade opens it is still ideal, but minimizing and reshaping the bump to eliminate that stick is the best modification.

11. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

In order, I've carried:
    Smaller early M16, (long since given to my dad, who carries it now.)
    Mirage Grey Ghost (Still one of my favorite knives. also gave one to my dad)
    and for 4-5 years I've carried various versions of the Crawford-Kasper companion folder. (and fixed too!)

I also own several other models from CRKT, the Guppie, Zilla, soon a Get-A-Way, Used a KISS folder as a money clip for a long time, stiff KISS as a neck knife...

Only recently (the past 7 months or so) I've switched to a Benchmade BM-530 for my right hand pocket due to it's size and weight.

To my mind, CRKT makes the best EDC knives, they are reliable and effective blades, but cheap enough that if they break you can afford to replace them without blowing your life's savings.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone for daily use.

I was disappointed when I tried to visit their HQ office, it's just a business office, no showroom I could find.

12. thefinger

thefinger Loaded Pockets

My first EDC knife was a CRKT Point Guard. I've had a few knives since then (much more expensive knives), but I still put that Point Guard in my pocket at least twice a week. It has the best pocket clip of any of my knives. I'm dying to pick up something from the m16 or m21 line, but I can't decide which one I want first! I've also noticed that the CRKT pocket clips are mounted very high on the handle, which I love.

13. Gulden Draak

Gulden Draak Empty Pockets

I carry reguarly a CRTK Edgie. That's the one wich is self sharpening and has no lock. No lock makes it legal to carry here. I'm awaiting the Spyderco urban for the same reason

14. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

my first folder was a CRKT M16-10K, then a M16-12FDZ, now I want a bigger M21 ... :)

i really like the flipper which acts as a finger guard as well

I found the auto LAWKS to be easy to use and I think it adds some pace of mind as a secondary safety device

15. No_b00st

No_b00st Empty Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4158/ab1rs5.jpg[/img]

CRKT Alaska Bwana gets some pocket time with me. I got this knife on closeout for like $21, quite a nice knife for that price. Very ergonomic, not too heavy, sharpens easily.

16. adorable_harree

adorable_harree Empty Pockets

Count me in. Got a used M16-14D "Operation Enduring Freedom" model last night. Impressed with how it looks and the lock-up. Sigh, another folder to add to my EDC... :) :evilgrin:

17. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

I have a CRKT M16-12ZER (the orange Zytel handle one, with the half-serrated tanto blade), which I don't EDC, but have packed in my Rescue/Survival kit. I love the flipper, and it is this feature along with the sideclip that makes me consider it for everyday use if I had a job that required more knife use. As it is, I get by swimmingly with my Leatherman TTi.

After careful research, I found that the CRKT had almost all of the key characteristics I look for in knife for rough survival use (and I torture these knives.... dirt/grit, seawater, and freezing Alaskan temperatures). I own many different lockback designs and I've never really had a problem with the single locking mechanism failing on me, so, at least for me, the jury is still out on the value added (if any) of the back-up Auto Lawks system (essentially a manual "safety" which you must disengage inorder to unlock/close the blade). Also, for me, the one glaring deficiency which I prefer in my primary survival knife is a lanyard hole (for a dummy cord... it makes a diffence when your life depends on it).

18. ntp3

ntp3 Loaded Pockets

Recently bought a CRKT P.E.C.K. Also have a Dogfish and Sidehawg. I think the CRKT knives made in Taiwan are better made than the ones from China.
    :)

19. wmcamp0

wmcamp0 Loaded Pockets

I had been carrying a Zytel M16 half serrated for a long time, now it is in rotation. Some of my fave knives I own are CRKT. My Ryan Plan B is always with me when I am somewhere that I have to wear a jacket. I would love one of the orange handled M16's but I hate the AUTOLAWKS so I will prolly quit buying their folders till they get rid of that. I also have one of their old Vector boot knives that is a nice piece of work too.

20. socrates

socrates Empty Pockets

Although I'm more of a Spydie fan I do own a CRKT that I'm fond of...the Koji Hara Ichi. I really should get more CRKT's and if ever I do get one soon it would either be a drop point tanto Hammond A.B.C. or a Hissatsu.