1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Craig Grabowsky's 7 "C's"...or...How prepared are you?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by SAKplumber, Sep 19, 2015.

1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Our new Member Craig Grabowsky shared a little about himself and and article he's written on survival. Excellant Craig! Well done, sir. (and thanks for your service to the USA, and Liberty and Freedom around the world)

I took this as a good oportunity to refresh myself with the items in my EDC bag. Clearly this example is a great guage of one's EDC for "in pocket" as well as GHB's & BOB's, even SIP (Shelter in Place) preps, etc, but today's lesson for me was GHB/BOB.

I carry an EDC bag mainly for convenience throughout my day to day, but also have a bit of GHB type contents. it was this that I thought I'd test against Craig's suggestions here: (OP from Craig's Introduce Yourself thread, My introduction...stop by and say :wavespin: , will ya')

The following post will be the 7 C's list to compare to yours...

Last edited by thePlumbah, Sep 19, 2015
    Ataki, baccar-3, Gilatabar and 6 others like this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Copy this post to make your own comparison:

1. Combustion
    2. Communication
    3. Consumption
    4. Container
    5. Cordage
    6. Cover
    7. Cutting

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

1. Combustion - Fire:
      Full size BIC lighter/ Exotac Nano
      Tender: Towel fluff/cotton filter disc replacements for the Aquamira FrontierPro(?)/dehydrated towels/gauze/ internal strands of the paracord mentioned later
    2. Communication - whistle/mirror/light sticks/Nitecore flashlight (SRT7, IIRC) that has flashy modes, including grean, red, and blue leds
    3. Consumption - Other than the "bandana" (Buff) I'm a litle light here. I mean I do have some nuts in there, but I suppose they would make better bait in a survivoal scenario
    4. Container - ziplock type bags(seperating some iFAK items)/Afore mentioned Aquamira FrontierPro filter(multi use type: ie straw/bottle filter/gravity abilities) I usually have a bottle of some sort with me, but since its not specifically in the bag I'm not counting it. Also, in an urban environment such as mine I can adapt anything from the refuse (ie to-go cup, soda or soup cans, water bottles)/the CamelBak H.A.W.G., has a 3 liter hydration bladder
    5. Cordage - have an Mzil's parafob, but just addded nearly a 100' hank (?) of black paracord, plus I have two kevlar @Gearward spools tp accompany my Tec Accesories Retrieve Tool (Come on Craig Grabowsky, I can't believe that didn't make the list!?
      [​IMG]Nick4305;)
    6. Cover - Towel/towels (ie Buff, handkerchief) Space Blanket (I plan to add a super thin backpacking tarp one day)/ an SOL 1-2 person emergency blanket seen later in post #17 when I found it
    7. Cutting - SwissArmyKnife (model SwissChamp)/RayMears model Gransfors Brucks Outdoor Axe

Last edited by thePlumbah, Sep 20, 2015
    Gilatabar, masofnos, Nick4305 and 2 others like this.
  4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Ha! I see your reserved and add one of my own. I'm in the process of editing a GHB video that will fit nicely here.

Later Edit:

There is always a knife, MT, flashlight, and bandana on my person, but what follows is what's in my EDC bag. I never leave the property without this bag. For instance, my in-laws live less than two miles up the road and even for a short trip like that, the bag rides along.

I've listed what's in the bag as of today, but the vid is a couple years old and is ever so slightly different ATM. The current bag is the foliage MOBIUS pictured in the beginning if the video, but I don't like it as much as the Jumbo mainly due to some pocket issues.

Anyway.

Combustion- Three Bics, 12+ DIY fire starters, tea candles, 3 lantern candles, stormproof matches, magnesium fire starter w/ferro rod, duct tape, MRE TP

Communication- HAM Radio, work issued cell/PTT, signal mirror, whistle, LED Mini Maglite, light sticks, signal mirror on the compass, ShiningBeam modded Romisen RC-T602 X, and I think the case can be made for listing the orange AMK Heat Sheets again in this category

Consumption- (I'm including food in here as well as the means to get it) a couple each of 5 Hour Energy, Cliff Bars, Slim Jims, I wouldn't include it here, but since Craig did, a bandana

Container- 27 oz. Klean Kanteen, Sawyer bladder, 450 ml Ti cup, 2 Altoid type tins, Katadyn H2O tablets, Sawyer Mini filter

Cordage- 30' of 550, 30' of 950 Technora

Cover- AMK Heat Sheets, mylar blanket, cheap poncho

Cutting- EMT shears, EESE 3, Laplander saw, SAK classic, SAK Explorer.

First Aid Kit- IFAK/Blow Out Kit plus a boo boo kit

As for the two internal Cs, While I'm getting older and have lost some fitness due to a mobility injury, I have a physical job, am active in the outdoors, walk three miles most days, and have always had the mental toughness to see things through to their conclusion so I think I can still get id done in a pinch. Confidence in my various skills I have in spades.

Here is a video of the EDC bag.

OK, so that's the EDC bag. If I'm traveling more than 10 or 15 miles from home, my so called GHB comes along that is filled with redundancies.

Combustion- small book, MRE TP and matches, stormproof matches, tinder, Bic, ferro rod, alcohol pads, Ranger bands, 10 mil spec gel fire starters

Communication- signal mirror, 2 light sticks

Consumption- bandana, two field stripped MREs, emergency fishing kit, sail needles, sewing needles

Container- Nalgene USGI canteen, canteen cup, H2O tablets, Katadyn Hiker Pro filter, Pelican case

Cordage- 100' 550, dental floss, sewing thread

Cover- poncho, AMK Heat Sheets Emergency Bivvy, mylar blanket

Cutting- EMT shears, LM Kick, sharpener

And more medical gear. There is also a GearPods multi kit in there which is, if you believe GEARPods a stand alone survival kit in and of itself.

Here is a video of my GHB.

Just generally, I think my EDC bag is pretty squared away if we use Colonel Craig's post as the standard. If the GHB is in my clutches during a moment of need, I think I'm doing even better.

That said, there is always room for improvement.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Sep 20, 2015
    Tristar777, Gilatabar and thePlumbah like this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

finished post #3 ;)

I think I'll add my Endura4 Combo Edge Black Blade, Black FRN :D

...brb

Gilatabar, ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Done. Also, I intend to add a Mor's Pot and a secondary combustion type biofuel stove soon :)

Gilatabar, T.H.Cone and ManVsLawn like this.
  7. T.H.Cone

Dude, that's called a campfire.:D

Gilatabar, thePlumbah and ManVsLawn like this.
  8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes, I know, but I'd like a cleaner burning fire in a container. :)

9. T.H.Cone

Ah... fire ring?

Or, if you want clean, how about a dakota pit?

Gilatabar and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I like the Dakota Pit but I want something portable.

11. T.H.Cone

I know... but you know how I am.:bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:

Gilatabar, ManVsLawn and thePlumbah like this.
  12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bumping this thread up because it occured to me that my truck EDC bin is getting a little stuffed.
    I saw that because I have a two person SOL bivy I would add to my bag, that shoulda been in the truck, but I can't find it.:unsure:I saw it the other day in my garage stash o gear and realized that it musn't be in my truck, as I had thought, since it was very unprobable that it would be in two places at once. Since then, I have moved it, but I can't find it, so its becoming more probable that it isn't even at one place at once. :confused:
    Hmmm...I'm sure I woulda put it in the Truck Bin or else somewhere I would be sure to find it...which occurs to me wasn't the best place for it:unsure:

13. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

ModKitty - I pulled everything last weekend. everything. I managed to slim down and re-organize a lot.

Now y'all go and post this. My OCD senses are clicking and I feel the need to do it over with this list in front of me.

I also managed to misplace a black Vic huntsman that I had bouncing around as a backup. I have checked every bag and 'spot' afterwards but it is now, also, not in one place at once.:(

Two steps forward, one step back - Just like that cat in the Paula Abdul video.

Gilatabar, thePlumbah and moostapha like this.
  14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I shot a nice video (perhaps) and then saved it before realizing that camera didn't record any sound. :p No video for you!

15. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I'm on a bit of a downswing myself, motivated by a renewed hatred of both backpacks and 10lb shoulder bags.

I really need to go ahead and build better vehicle kits, but I think I make the cut for edc....very Urban EDC. I think traveling outside the perimeter (I-285) into the suburbs is an adventure that requires planning.

1. Combustion - tinder tabs, bic lighter, and a ferro-rod just because it's cool. I don't use them except for grilling.
    2. Communication - phone, momentary flash light.
    3. Consumption - cliff bars, cash.
    4. Container - little baggies and purification tablets. Usually a hydroflask as well, but it stays in the car.
    5. Cordage - 75' of 750# test kevlar. Paracord is too bulky/heavy.
    6. Cover - teksaks for my phone and car key, tiny poncho that I don't plan on ever using. Usually, when it rains, I swipe a trash bag if I'm carrying my laptop.
    7. Cutting - utx-70 and a skeletool cx. I used to carry a JR Necker, but the need just isn't there.
    [/quote]

And for the additional stuff, I carry a gun, a minimal first aid kit, and a minimal trauma kit. And some duct tape and other odds and ends.

16. T.H.Cone

I just edited in a full answer into my first post (#4) so... feel free to be entertained and enlightened.:)

ManVsLawn, Gilatabar and thePlumbah like this.
  17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I found it!

[​IMG]

Since its so lightweight and space isn't an issue I decided to keep the regular space blanket in the bag as well. Between the two I should be able to creat some shelter fairly easily...especially sine the SOL blanket has the directions printed right on it :giggle:

18. T.H.Cone

LOL, DP! DP! You must have been deleting it while I was trying to Like it because I got the "red" message saying I didn't have permission. Why my you ruin my fun? BTW, you deleting it doesn't change the fact that I saw it with my own two eyes.:)

That chick looks so happy to be safe and warm, doesn't she?

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nice. As it happens your post reminded me that the CamelBak I carry has a 3 liter hydration bladder, and I do have a Nitecore flashlight (SRT7, IIRC) that has flashy modes, including grean, red, and blue leds.

I shall incorporate that into my above list :)

ManVsLawn, Gilatabar and T.H.Cone like this.
  20. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd noticed that too. :rofl: The guy on the one person blanket package looks like he's baked half out
    of his mind... :rolleyes:

ManVsLawn, Gilatabar and T.H.Cone like this.