1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

cr123 vs. cr2...what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by EEtheSea, Apr 27, 2010.

1. EEtheSea

EEtheSea Empty Pockets

newb question here...but what are the advantages/disadvantages of a cr123 vs. cr2? thanks in advance.

2. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

Very simply put: a CR123 is slightly larger and contains more energy than a CR2. Apart from that the two batteries share the same technology. As an average the capacity of a CR123 is 60% higher than the one of the smaller cell.

If you favor runtime you should prefer CR123 based lights while if you want a very small size CR2 is your choice.

3. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Availability is also a factor.

I've never seen a set of CR2's for sale in a Brick/Mortar store. The only two I have are the ones that came with the light I bought from Wally-world.

4. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

Both are common camera batteries before pocket-sized point-n-shoots started coming with proprietary rechargeable batteries. You should be able to find CR2's wherever 123's are available. At least that is the case for me. CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, WalMart, Best Buy, Miejers and Target is where I can buy my CR2's from. I have a Coleman Maxx 2xCR2 that I feed and am going to get either the Nitecore EZCR2 or Quark MiniCR2.

I like the CR2 form factor. Not quite as chunky as 123 and with less capacity. Still is as expensive as the 123 though. :shrug: