1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CR123 batteries

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Flexxx, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

What CR123 Batteries do you use?

I also wonder what brand is the more safe version if there is such thing.....

I've been running Surefire and have never had a problem but wanted to here some opinions

I never even new there was any danger of these batteries until I joined this forum, thanks for the heads up. (Now I'm scared to use my lights)

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Stick with USA-made (and Japanese) cells and you'll be fine.

Some cells coming out of China (4sevens, Titanium Innovations) also offer the safeties that are ALWAYS found on USA-made cells, but some users are wary of these cells just the same. I personally believe them to be safe and would recommend them as well.

Be very careful not to buy counterfeit cells. Buy only from trusted dealers such as: Surefire, Lighthound, Battery Station, 4sevens, Battery Junction (don't trust eBay, DX, KD, etc).

3. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info Carrot.

4. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I use Titanium Innovations brand bought from Battery Junction usually. Found a decent deal on Streamlight brand from Home Depot recently. I think they are USA made. (I heard Panasonic makes streamlight, surefire and a couple of others in their USA plant, but I have no way to verify this)

5. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

+1 Battery Junction....good ones, barely over a buck each, and you normally get free gifts thrown in. :)

6. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

1+ on SureFire, Titanium Innovations, & Battery Station (Just got my first box of 50).

7. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

The guy at my Batteries plus store said SureFire, StreamLight, and a few other brands which I don't recall are Panasonic made.

You really shouldn't be nervous about 123 so long as you've read-up and play by the rules. Of course there are always exceptions and there is no substitute general awareness.
    If it's warm for no reason, take out the batteries.
    Never mix new/old batteries.
    Don't try to squeeze every last drop out of the cells. It's not really worth it.
    A lot of the 'danger' and mishaps revolve around the RCR123's. The rechargeable's are picky about voltage and all that relatively complicated stuff. Same general rules apply, but greater care needs to be taken with multiple RCR cells to ensure everything is within spec.
    If you educate yourself and follow the 'rules' they'll treat you right.

8. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Surefire and the other name brand CR-123A are made by Panasonic

9. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

I have used Surefire and Panasonic in the past, but tend to only use Energizer these days as they are normally a tad cheaper in my local stores.
    [​IMG]

10. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

so I suppose $13.50 for 12 streamlight isn't so bad when it's generally $20 for 12 surefire and they are both made by Panasonic. Looks like everybody knew this but me. Oh well, better late than never.

11. Helstar

Helstar Loaded Pockets

Titanium Innovations or surefire. Prefer TI do to cost but the Surefire are 2 for 4.40 so if I am in a pitch I just run up and grab some.

12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Is anybody switching out their 123s in their wireless transmitters (security alarm system)? Any of these batts not lasting long?

13. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

I don't mind getting any brand so long as it is a US made battery (Surefire, Battery Station, Universal Power Group). Will make an exception for the 4Sevens batteries but I have yet to try the TI branded ones.

14. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

I'm using Nextorch (made in China) in my PD20. I understand that using single batteries avoids many of the safety issues (i.e. quick discharge between cells)... but should I be concerned in any way? ??? I'm no flashaholic or whizz on battery construction (more mechanically minded than chemical/electrical) but for "know nowts" like me ... just exactly WHAT are the risk, and on which cells.

Please remember we are all in different economies with different products avauilable, so for us uneducated types what are the real hazards with these items ... AND ... are these hazards only known to the enlightened few, or are they a recognised phenomenon across the industries? Ideslly, I'd like an answer that's non-zenophobic and more brand oriented (if that's possible). After all Fenix is Chinese, and I personally think that the three lmodels I've had dealings with have been excellent pieces of equipment. I'm just summising from different conversations at this stage, rather than having any "empirical" data, and would rather not get of the messy end of the stick.

Apologies for being dumb - but if you don't know, and you don't ask, you don't deserve to konw

15. mlh10475

mlh10475 Loaded Pockets

+1 for Battery Station. I've used Battery Station since 2005 I believe never a problem. I have notice longer life now that they are USA made but that is just my biased opinion and not based on any testing. I usually buy 100 every winter and that get me through a year usually with a few extra. This year I bought some if the Battery Station rechargeable CR123A, I use them in my e1e and saint minimus at work nightly and get great run time on the RCR123's. I've never stacked the rechargeable ones i've always headed the warnings. YMMV

16. rotncore

rotncore Loaded Pockets

I use primarily single cell lights to avoid potential issues with mismatched cells, but I also stick to known makes, although sometimes dealers throw in different batteries from less reliable brands. If used in tandem, Energizer or SF for me. I have mostly Energizers, but some Battery Station and Titanium branded ones as well, and SF cells that come with the lights.

17. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

I use SureFire but I am open to using other quality brands.

18. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

Same here. I've been using the $1.00 batteries from Battery Junction for several years. I always order them shrink-wrapped in pairs for easy storage and less fumbling while swapping batteries.

19. ChopperCFI

ChopperCFI Loaded Pockets

I use Streamlight based on some extensive comparison testing done by a CPF member back in 2004. While the information is a bit dated, I personally doubt batteries have changed much since then.

Link to original spreadsheet data on CPF
    Most useful may be runtime column for each of the three power draws tested.

Following are graphs showing multiple vendors overlaid in a single view:
    Link to summary graph at 0.5A draw
    Link to summary graph at 1.0A draw
    Link to summary graph at 2.0A draw

You can get a dozen Streamlight 123s on Amazon for $18.66 currently.

20. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Another Battery Station user here, although I would consider the 4Sevens ones now as well (free shipping).