1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CR123 and AA Flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SOS24, Oct 22, 2016.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have several Logan actually and there is a specific version,the 17500 model that will accept all sizes of cells with the adapter kit and it works well at that role.

One thing that I never consider or worry about is accidentally activating,they are pretty tight to turn and have little play in the bezel in my experience too.
    In fact it can be tough to use them one handed because of it.

The Peak use a material between the battery and negative contact in the tube that when compressed varies the voltage allowed to the LED and thus dims the light. So in general the harder the light is tightened the brighter it will get.
    This is not a linear or even predictable thing though and in every PEAK that I have works differently if at all and it renders these lights finicky to many including to me!

When one works it is pretty amazing but when it starts acting up it is frustrating for me and it is a hard light to really depend on for dependable and repeatable performance,in my experience.

SOS24 likes this.
  2. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info and assessment. I also would get frustrated by a finicky light. When I need a light, I want to know it is going to work as expected.

3. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

The protac 1L-1AA is a great light and no need for a conversion tube.

The Nextorch TA10 uses the same concept with no conversion tube but is built to handle 16340 and 14500 batteries. Both will also work with AAA and the nextorch can use 10440 as well.

I do use a 3.2 volt rcr123 in the protac from time to time but it gets about 1/3 the run time, but has zero fade throughout.

SOS24 likes this.
  4. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I did finally get the Pro tac 1L-1AA and it meets my expectations so far. The tint is not neutral but it is pretty good overall. The 1L-1AA is a little long compared to other single cell lights but the relatively narrow body makes it easy enough to carry. At $40 the 1L-1AA seems like a no-brainer for a BOB and should make a pretty nice EDC.When I don't want the weight and size of one of my Malkoff MD2s the 1L-1AA should work well for my two light carry EDC.

SOS24 likes this.
  5. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I went with the Nitecore SRT3 and really like it, especially the ring adjuster.

6. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

I've built a light exactly to these specs, a durable light that runs on all chemistries.

Take a Surefire 9P, remove the incan module. Insert a Malkoff M61LL or M61LLL. They generate 80 and 35 lumens, respectively. There was even a M61LLLL that runs forever but hard to find.

9P can run on 3x123. Incidentally 3x123 is the same length as 2xAA. And the module is low powered so it will run on AAs. Not as well, but dimmer - and longer. i.e. M61Low-Low will run not for 10 hours but for 15 hours and not at 80 lumens but 50 lumens. on L91s.

M6LLL is even more interesting, you can probably get 24 hours out of in a Surefire 9P and loaded with 2xAA. If you use Alkalines the runtime is longer, Energizer L91s Lithiums - shorter but brighter.

Here is where things get interesting. Bore the 9P body to 18mm and it will accept 2x18500 Li-ion cells or 1x18650 plus a spacer cell.

I've even run my 9P with Malkoff on 2xAAA - yes you will need a spacer to get them to fit of course. Both a spacer and wrap them in something since they are much thinner than 16mm cells that normally fit in it.

And I've run a malkoff module on 4xCR2 cells - but the module needs to be able to take up to 12V. Most malkoffs take up to 9V.
    Or use 3xCR2 with a spacer cell. That is bizarre, these CR2 cells are rare and expensive and not all that useful for anything, but if you build your Surefire 9P, it can take almost any kind of cells there is - Li-ions like 18650, 2x18500, or 17670 and a spacer or 3x3V rechargeables and of course CR123A and as it turns out 2xAA of any chemistry and even those silly CR2 cells. If you have absolutely nothing else, you can fit CR2 in it or AAA even with the right spacer.

With AA, you will get most lumens with L91, less with alkalines, even less with NiMh. With carbon Zinc 'heavy duty' junk you will get least lumens. Yes, I know, I've run tests. The voltage is very low, M61LLL runs out of regulation which means forever.

Kind of amazing. Running surefire 9P modded with malkoff on absolute junk 'heavy duty' carbon zinc cells that have 1/4 the capacity of Alkalines - does anyone even make those anymore.

I have tons of 18650 cells I got from laptop batteries. I can keep my Surefire clone 9P going for a year just off 18650s with a spacer. Without recharging any.

Once I run out of 18650s, I have a ton of 123. Enough for another year or several.

Once I am out of both 18650s and 18500s and 123s, I have a metric ton of both Lithium AA and Alkalines too - they run dimmer but far longer. Enough for years. That is assuming you cannot recharge Li-ions.

7. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

That is something interesting that I will have to keep in mind.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can also go Nitrolon or cheaper with SolarForce in the same size!

[​IMG]

9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Yeah. solarforce products have surefire beat basically on every aspect. The only reason to use surefire is if you simply happen to have some laying around or if for some odd reason you absolutely must have something with a made in the USA stamp.

10. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

I forgot to add another cell combination - primary 3V AA lithiums. They are a rare beast but they do exist. They are exactly like CR123A cells in terms of voltage and capacity but are shaped like an AA alkaline cell. I've run them in a Surefire 9P with M61LLL adn they work nice - versus 3x123, they get lower lumens of course (since you now have only 6V, not the full 9V) **but** greater runtime.

Of course you can stick Li-Ions in it of any size, like 1x18650 plus a spacer, or add an extension and make it a 2x18650 light, or 2x17500 and such.
    It's kind of sad 18500 cell hasn't been developed any in the last 10 years. And still has that low 18500 capacity.

11. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Encroach now has a TA15 model as well. One light that has not been mentioned is the Fenix HL50. It is a headlamp that uses a single 123 and comes with an adaptor for a single AA. The light can be removed from the mount to be used as a right angle handheld

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Unless you look at the 2nd post.