1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CR123 and AA Flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SOS24, Oct 22, 2016.

1. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I like the brightness and power of CR123 lights but like the availability of AA, so I've been looking to see if there are lights that can do both for an emergency bag or BOB. I know of two lights that have the capability to run both CR123 and AA - NiteCore SRT3 and Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA.

Is anyone aware of others that are possibly worth a look?
    If you own either or both, can you tell me how good they are?

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Fenix HL-50
    Sunnwayman V11r
    Zebra SC-80-though no longer sold.
    Peak Logan 17500

McGizmo Haiku AA can take both battery packs

You can also use 2-aa in many 3-123 size lights.

Just off the top of my head.

Last edited by EZDog, Oct 22, 2016
    SOS24 and Water-Rat like this.
  3. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

if brightness is not an issue, I highly recomend the stream light sidewinder compact 2 but max output in white is 50 lumens, no mode memory. but very versatile light anyways

Kev2488 and SOS24 like this.
  4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I am hoping for a at least 2 brightness levels with preferably 150 lumen minimum on high.

Kev2488 and Moco like this.
  5. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

I own the Compact II, Protac 1l-1aa and the V11r. If I could only have one light in a BOB it would be the Compact II. If I could add a second it would be the Protac. The V11r is a very nice light and if I still wore a suit and tie to work every day it might be my EDC.

One of the things that’s nice about the two Streamlight’s is that you don’t need an adaptor to use either battery. I don’t really want to be dealing with an adaptor now, I sure wouldn’t want to be screwing around with one in an emergency.

Kev2488, ZMZ67 and SOS24 like this.
  6. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

The fact that you don't need an adaptor, is what is causing me to lean towards the ProTac.

7. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

You could probably get by with an adapter for a BOB but I agree with Tusk it is not really something I would want to deal with in an emergency. The Streamlights both look like winners to me although I wish the ProTac 1L-1AA was available with a neutral led.The Compact II can be easily modified with filter material so that is not a concern for me with it.

SOS24 likes this.
  8. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I guess we all have different ideas of what emergencies and bugouts will be like, but my priorities include some efficient low low modes for battery conservation/runtime, night vision preservation, and stealth camping. Magnetic rings consume power (in the V11Rs case, more than the LED in the low low modes) and if I read that right, one of the Streamlights only has a ~40 lm "low" while the other only has a 55lm "high?"

How about a Quark that'll run ~300 hrs on a bright moonlight (AA Alk) and ~350 lms (CR123)... but you'll need to buy/swap tubes. (Actually, it's easy to rig to run on ANY battery with tinfoil and/or a paperclip).

Kev2488 likes this.
  9. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I would really like a light with ~350 lumens on high and <10 lumen low for long battery life that run with both AA and CR123 but I don't see what you are talking about on FourSevens site. I am only seeing the Quark Smart or Click that take 2 batteries. How do you achieve what you are talking? Do you have to buy all parts separate?

10. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I agree about the adapter aspect, I'm surprised that the likes of Sunwayman haven't made a belt pouch to take the torch, spare battery and extender tube.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think this is about what your particular needs and use will be about and there is no way we can all agree on a best light as our needs are each our own.

I mainly stick with the AA light in my EDC and I am committed to this overall(tiny olights seem to be the recent exception though)and so my needs for these convertable lights is that they are an AA light first.
    So carrying the extender tube for AA from the smaller lights normally a 123 is no issue at all. I will need to deal with the adapter or tube if I ever use a 123 but this is not real likely most of the time.
    So that is the V11r,HL50,etc. for me.

The ZL SC80 needs its adapter regardless of which cell you stick in it so it is not too hard to track as it will always be in the light anyway.
    Sure this light is no longer produced but I think is my favorite of this type overall as it does go very low and very high all in a one size package.

The Peak adapters are tiny delrin beads really and not that hard to stick in my pocket and the sleeves that keep an AA cell centered in a 123 diameter light are not really required in my experience anyway and so I rarely use one anymore or give it too much thought.

So the clear winner for the format simplicity war is the Streamlight where there is no real thought needed about this anyway but then this light has a pretty high minimum lumen level too for my true EDC where the 40l low is a decent and practical high level for me a lot of the time.

There was also the Gerber Omnivore which was interesting but has the opposite problem and is only really low level output.

There are just always trade offs which is really why I carry 2 lights every minute that I carry 1.

I also love the mcgyver-ish simplicity in a sense that Reppans remains loyal to but talk about tough to remember to always be ready,at least for me on a practical level.

So the obvious answer is the one we always come back to..........

We must have them all.

How hard was that?

SOS24 likes this.
  12. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Whoops.... too late now, sorry :(

Long story short, the original Quark line was sued for patent infringement by Surefire who had a patent on the loose/tight bezel UI (yes, lots of manufacturers use a loose/tight bezel UI, but they are not US domiciled companies).

For the last couple months, 47s has been selling off their stock of old Quark line in the $20-25 (no warranty) range on eBay (I bought a bunch).... but sadly it looks like they just ended that - TODAY (they were literally there yesterday when I checked). Maybe SF found out?

The old Quark modes were ~0.3,3,30,100, and 250or330 (for XPGorXML) with very efficient drivers fully regulated for 0.9-4.2V, so you just needed to buy and swap battery tubes to run the different battery configs - in your case 1AA and 1CR123 tubes.

My favorite rig uses a 2xCR123 tube running 16650 Li-ion cell (which will charge my smartphone) since I can easily MacGyver it to run 1AA, 1CR123, AAA, or AAAA (from 9V) - clicky.

The Quark Clicks will work too, but 47s won't program them for you anymore - I figured out how to do it, and as a result love it's UI, but I can't recommend them to others.... this will likely be another line that is dropped.

Now I think I would recommend the Peak Logan with battery adaptor kit, EZDog recommended in the first post. The QTC is quirky, but it is very efficient (I've tested it), and Peaks are bomb proof, although I'd might get a backup QTC tab.

I'm personally not a big fan of unnecessary complexity in a survival light (i.e., electronic switches/magnetic rings) - all of my flashlight issues have been with them.

SOS24 likes this.
  13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Oh wow, shame to see the good ol quarks are no more! I came here to suggest them... i better be more careful with my low-voltage heads and aa/cr123 bodies then, finding replacements will be difficult now.

14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I find it funny that you would use such a torch in AA mode first rather than CR123. I came to the CR123/RCR123 scene rather late in life but once I experienced the extra output and run time they provide, why would I prefer running on AA's? Yes AA batteries are more widely available but it's fairly unlikely that I'll be unable to recharge/get another CR123 for longer than a day or two.
    It's still nice to have options and be able to run the light via another power source but I wouldn't choose the lower one has my primary.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Which pretty much makes my point!
    We each have our own way of doing things.

I can go through several cells in a day depending on what I am doing and I also know that I can not rely on my own charging to make sure that I always have charged batteries so........

I use disposable Alkalines mostly and have no issues at all.
    Many lights offer the same output with either voltage so I just get different run times using AA and they are so universal and cheap that it is the way I choose to roll.

16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I like the CR123/16340 format for the shorter size, but actually broad voltage "AA" lights have *at least* the same performance and battery options as the CR123/16340 format.... and quite a bit more. There's a 3v CRAA primary (blue cell) that is of the same chemistry, voltage, capacity as a CR123, and 14500 Li-ions have more capacity than 16340s. Even a NiMh 1.2v Eneloop can out power a CR123 in lights designed to take advantage of it (NiMhs have higher rated wattage than CR123).

[​IMG]

twin63 and CBisch like this.
  17. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Shame about the Quark. The Quark was my mainstay EDC for quite a while until I replaced it with even smaller lights that are a little easier to pocket.The use of a conventional switch and set modes definitely seems to offer higher level of reliability in the long run over some of the more complex lights we have now. I have a AA battery tube for my Quarks but I still think there is a distinct advantage to a light that uses both CR123 and AA without the need for any adapter.Another option for the OP could be one light that uses an adapter and one that doesn't since he is going to use them in a BOB anyway.That would allow a few more options that could be paired up one of the Streamlights for example. If we were talking about EDC then I don't think the adapter is all that practical.

SOS24 likes this.
  18. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I myself am looking at a 2 light EDC system and the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA looks promising there with its ability to use either battery. I just have to figure out the best way to carry and of course get the ProTac. I have plenty of small CR123 lights to fill the second EDC spot.

Not much of a Gerber fan since they ruined the CMG Infinity IMO and have too much mass market stuff like the Bear Grylls line but the Omnivore was a pretty good idea at least. A modestly priced reliable,simple,single mode, low output/long running light that could use CR123,AA and maybe AAA without the use of an adapter would be on my want list.

19. Sigdog

Sigdog Loaded Pockets

Hi SOS24 & ZMZ67,

I just purchased a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA, nice handy size and (as you know) can take an AA if you find yourself somewhere where you can't get a CR123A when you need it. It has a nice spot in the middle of a larger illuminated area. The flashlight has a nice quality feel to it.
    I programmed it just to be on low at first tap and high on second (don't need a strobe involved).
    So far the only negative thing I've found is that it's a bit slippery in the hand when pushing the button with mu thumb, I'll have to find some self adhesive grip material to wrap around part of the body........

http://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/info-sheet-with-part-numbers/protac1l-1aa_sup.pdf?sfvrsn=0

cheers, John

Last edited by Sigdog, Oct 27, 2016
    ZMZ67 and SOS24 like this.
  20. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I was looking at the Peak Logan. Do you have it and have you used the adapter kit? I’m curious how well it works with the adapter kit using a single 123 or AA. Also, have you had any issues with it accidentally turning on? Some lights I’ve had that do the twist, come on easily if you don’t turn them far enough for of or press on the bezel like shoving in a pocket.