1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CPR edc?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Water-Rat, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I used to keep a pocket mask handy, but I can't even think of where I may have one now. Frankly, I'm not doing mouth to mouth or mouth to barrier on anyone but a loved one, and in that instance it could be mouth to mouth. High quality chest compressions and early defibrillation are the most essential. If you want a mask get one, but I don't think it's worth having on you.

Water-Rat likes this.
  2. USMA_Hopeful

USMA_Hopeful Loaded Pockets

Being a former Jr BSA Troop Leader, I was able to receive a lot of CPR/AED Training, and I always carry a handkerchief for personal use as well as first aid and CPR in a pinch. However, after reading through this thread, I'm starting to think about throwing a CPR barrier on my key chain just in case. They're cheap and really don't take up much room, so there's really no reason any trained individual should be without one.
    See, that's what I love about this forum, you never know what you might find next. Keep up the good work guys!

Water-Rat likes this.
  3. jfoster

jfoster Loaded Pockets

Whatever you decide to carry, pat yourself on the back, because you are a great person for caring about your kids:)

Sent from the Peanut Gallery:)

Water-Rat and T.H.Cone like this.
  4. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

If I have my bag I have a pocket mask and gloves. At work (LEO) I have a pocket mask and Ambu bag. I am also a CPR and First Responder instructor. My knowledge would dictate hands only CPR if you do not have at least a pocket mask. The little barrier/ shields afford little to no protection. There are way to many diseases that can be transmitted. Meningitis, Tuberculosis, Hepatitis, and any variation of respiratory virus. Not to mention regurgitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water-Rat and thekapow like this.
  5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that Charlie, I had no idea that the face shields didn't prevent disease transmission. Don't most of them have one-way valves like the pocket masks do? I would think that would make them almost as good as a mask.

Well, I think I'm just going to add gloves to my carry for now. The nurse is a quick run away, and I am required to carry a radio, so I'll just go with compressions only till the nurse brings the AED. I might bring my fanny pack kit (mask, gloves, EMT scissors, and boo boo stuff) if I need to go outside with this student though. In addition to having lunch duty with them, I am also the designated substitute so they can make sure they have someone with CPR training for that student. So, I may end up with them during gym, recess, etc.

I have a large phone holster made by CLC that I've used to carry gloves in the past, and I added that to my carry today. It's a little big for my taste, so I had given up on it for a while, but I think I'll go back to using it for now. I made my own version of BenjiSimon's card pocket doohickey that he posted earlier here. I used a couple used up gift cards and wrapped three sides in duct tape. I've got 1 pair of gloves folded up inside. I tested it out and it's not too difficult to remove/insert the gloves. So, I think that'll ride in the CLC phone holster or maybe get slipped into the rubber bands on my altoids FAK.

6. USMA_Hopeful

USMA_Hopeful Loaded Pockets

Good idea. I don't know if you fellas would be interested, but here's a thread I started a while ago about a mini EDC FAK that I made from a Folca Pill case. It's just your generic boo boo stuff but it would be a cinch to add a face shield. It's small enough that you can throw it in a cargo pocket or stick it in some of these new belt holsters that Maxpdeition and others are making.
    http://edcforums.com/threads/folca-pill-case-edc-fak.120939/
    Enjoy!
    Charlie

Water-Rat and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

Water-Rat likes this.
  8. cordova2008

cordova2008 Loaded Pockets

Ill echo a couple posts don't bother with the pocket masks, face shields ect. Breaths are not required, and may even hurt in some cases because you are stopping compressions. Even pro level training is changing to focus on compressions including prioritizing them over advanced airways and IV placement.

9. catenate

catenate Loaded Pockets

I just took the AHA CPR course at work today, and the instructor (15-year EMT trainer) said without oxygen the brain will die, so do the breathing; the actual incidence of disease transmission is low; and face shields work fine for preventing disease transmission. I know I'm much more likely to find room for and carry a folded up face shield than a mask.

Water-Rat likes this.
  10. cordova2008

cordova2008 Loaded Pockets

Your instructor is correct, but take a step back, how does that oxygen get to the brain? Blood. You should follow what you were taught, but protocalls are always changing and I was trying to give everybody a heads up.

11. catenate

catenate Loaded Pockets

Absolutely, breathing is secondary to compressions. I was just trying to say that it is still very important, as I understand it, and I feel it should only be omitted as a matter of squeamishness (which seems a low-risk problem, even lower with face shields or masks), not a matter of course. I think the hands-only CPR idea is intended as an alternative to not doing anything at all, not a just-as-good alternative to compressions and breathing.

Water-Rat likes this.
  12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

i think you are very correct, its not as black and white, as some people portray it if you read the guidelines from American Heart Association.
    this is a quote from the CPR guidelines:

another qoute:
    This is also from American Heart Asociations, but its the CCR protocol, which is the professional approach.
    So these are different situations requiring different cpr.. also its recommended (at least in my algorithm) that you change person every 2-3 mins of compression because your compression's are going to suck when tired. If you are alone, 2 rescue breaths are a good way to relax your arms and ensure your compression's are deep and quality.

Water-Rat and Lou_G like this.
  13. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Since we had an instructor at work, i've have a Pre medical pocketmask in my bag, they can be used with the fittings in an ambulance, at least here in Sweden. Then they don't need to switch out masks to continue with oxygen...

From Northern Sweden

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

I have a face shield in the console of the truck and one with gloves on my bag. Did CPR once 40 years ago before anyone thought about the need for face shields and masks. Almost puked but then thought about the poor guy dying right there in front of his wife and 4 kids. State trooper came along and took over breaths. Ambulance came and bag masked him put him on a gurney and stopped compressions wheeling him to the ambulance.

Water-Rat likes this.
  15. navajojoe

navajojoe Loaded Pockets

Hey all,

I personally carry a ARC, "American Red Cross" pocket mask in my EDC bag and a one way valve CPR mask in my jump bag in my car. I'm a ARC First Aid/CPR instructor and teach my students to at least carry one pocket mask as Murphy's Law will strike when you least expect him to.

Now let me say this, even if you don't have CPR training its a good idea to have it as someone else could use it. They are cheap/small and light weight. However, the added protection it offers you and the potential of saving a life... Beyond worth its weight in gold. But again, this is just my two cents.

Navajo Joe
    "Keep your powder dry"

16. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

Those little ambu / CPR keychain mask pouches are just the right size for EDCing a pair of nitrile gloves

cheeser likes this.
  17. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

I've got one in a pouch with a pair of gloves and alcohol hand wipes and it stays on the outside of my bag on the webbing. Easily accessible for me and others if I have to tell them to get it. Only had to bring it out once, but never had to use.

18. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

thekapow

The reason why breaths are more important for children and infants is because littles usually code because they stop breathing. They will brady down and brady down, but they stop breathing fairly quickly. Thus, most pedi codes are respiratory in nature, not cardiac.

With a child that has a known cardiac issue, compressions will be very important. If the child codes, it's likely going to be cardiac, not respiratory.

brand0n likes this.
  19. brand0n

brand0n EDC Junkie

Compensate longer but crash quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medicevans likes this.
  20. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

Absolutely. But, like my post, probably outside the scope of bystander/layperson CPR.

brand0n likes this.