1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CPR discussion

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by filjos, Jul 19, 2012.

1. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Would that be 1 breath 15 compressions or 2 breaths 30 compressions per cycle?

2. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Sorry double post
    Blackberry internet slow

3. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

30 compressions 2 breaths per cycle.
    15:1 was the old protocol for two or more responders ;)

sungame likes this.
  4. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

I see. Thanks :)

5. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

My training consists of a Red Cross CPR/basic first aid course, a specialized version of this for children, and the training I received as a boy scout many years ago. The last course was in 2009. All of these courses took place in Norway.

If I am not mistaken, the official guide lines from Norwegian health authorities regarding non-professionals still include rescue breaths, and the ratio is 30:2. I believe that is also true for infants and children. However, with adults (except for drowning or suffocation victims), you start with compressions, with infants and smaller children, you start with the two breaths. As someone else have already pointed out, the reason for this is that children don't normally suffer heart attacks.

6. _jedi_

_jedi_ Loaded Pockets

I am an AHA BLS instructor... in fact I just taught a class today. As has already been mentioned, the current guidance from AHA (considered by most to be THE source in the USA) is:
    • Single HCP Rescuer - Adult | Two HCP Rescuer - Adult
      1. 30:2
      2. 100+ Compressions Per Minute (30 in 17 seconds)
      3. 2"+ (5cm+) Depth
    • Single HCP Rescuer - Pediatric (>8yrs) | Two HCP Rescuer - Pediatric (>8yrs)
      3. 1/3 to 1/2 Anterior to Posterior Depth or 2" (5cm) Depth
    • Single HCP Rescuer - Infant (<8yrs)
      3. 1/3 to 1/2 Anterior to Posterior Depth or 1 1/2" (4cm) Depth
    • Two HCP Rescuer - Infant (<8yrs)
      1. 15:2
      3. 1/3 to 1/2 Anterior to Posterior Depth or 1 1/2" (4cm) Depth
    • Two HCP Rescuer - Advanced Airway
      1. Breaths every 6-8 seconds (8-10 per minute) asynchronous with compressions
    • Untrained Rescuer
      1. Compressions only until help arrives
    Now, one of the biggest changes is in the sequence of initiating CPR. The A (Airway), B (Breathing), C (Compressions) sequence has changed to C (Compressions), A (Airway), B (Breathing). Doing so makes the time to initiation of compressions much shorter. The theory is that it is more important to circulate the blood which has already been oxygenated to keep things alive.

bnoland, Djjonny, filjos and 2 others like this.
  7. whoozle

whoozle Loaded Pockets

That's a lot of information !:eek:

Thanks for sharing though :)

8. ta2edff

ta2edff Loaded Pockets

Phoenix Az. Paramedic.

Not sure if this explanation from a paramedic stance helps or not. Here is what we are taught and do on 9-1-1 calls and off duty. We either do CPR or CCR. CPR is unwitnessed arrest or inadequate bystander CPR. If the down time is unknown it is assume down time is long and last bit of oxygen in the brain is used up and there for we need to apply O2 , OPA , endotracheal intubation and BVM to reoxygenate the brain. CCR , Cardiocerebral resuscitation , this is assuming pt was a witnessed arrest and/or adequate CPR in progress . CCR is 200 hard and fast compression to perfuse the brain with the oxygen in the system from their last breath. At the beginning of compressions we apply a non-rebreather high flow oxygen mask. With compressions we expelled CO2 and passively fill the lungs with O2 with rebound of the chest wall with recoil from end of a compression. After 200 compression we give epinephrine . After 3 rounds of this we go into intubatation and respirations with BVM . This doesn't include shockable rhythms . So you see if you witness an arrest just check for a pulse and do compressions if indicated and you'll be just fine, ( Not medical advise , just an opinion).

whoozle likes this.
  9. ta2edff

ta2edff Loaded Pockets

P.M. If you want to see a pdf my cardiac arrest protocol.

whoozle and filjos like this.
  10. smellypaddler

smellypaddler Loaded Pockets

Many thanks to ta2edff for the information he sent through on his service protocols. Knowing what else is going on in the world can be really helpful in shaping clinical practice.

ta2edff, whoozle and filjos like this.
  11. chrisemt
    • In Omnia Paratus

chrisemt Loaded Pockets

What is your area's cardiac arrest survival rate? By survival rate, I mean survival to discharge neurologically intact. Do you do thereputic hypothermia? Who created your protocols and what science are they based on?

-Chris

PS: Please PM me a copy of the PDF. Thanks

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

12. ta2edff

ta2edff Loaded Pockets

It is AHA . Hypothermia treatment at all our cardiac center ER's . Info coming your way.

"Catchy slogan not included"

13. ta2edff

ta2edff Loaded Pockets

Survival rate, I had 4 saves with it last year personally. In 17 years most saves in one year. Others crews in my dept have seen saves also. Seen a lot of great treatment advances with pre hospital with in the field 12 leads and STEMI notifications to ER/ cath lab and CCR.

"Catchy slogan not included"

14. ta2edff

ta2edff Loaded Pockets

15. ta2edff

ta2edff Loaded Pockets

16. Alistair Hammond

Alistair Hammond Loaded Pockets

RLSS Award of Merit and Bronze Cross lifesaving awards. Life Support 3: Adult, Child and Infant, including single and twin operator CPR. I also have a Red Cross First Response Cert which covers basic CPR and First Aid. I'm currently partway through my National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ), which includes CPR and AED certification, as well as first aid and spinal board rescues.
    E2A: Our CPR procedures are those recommended by the Resuscitation Council.

Hopefully I'll pass on Saturday!

P.S: If anyone wants me to, I can scan in and uplaod the CPR/AED flowcharts from my training manual.

Last edited by Alistair Hammond, Aug 16, 2012
  17. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

My background is in EMS and I currently work in an Emergency Room. The following is how I would personally treat a given situation, this is not in anyway advice. A typical adult has 3-5 minutes of oxygen in their blood stream. If you see someone collapse from an myocardial Infarction and they have no pulse, I would immediately and only begin compressions for the first 5 minutes then 30:2 there after. If the patient has an unknown down time I would then use 30:2 if a mask were available. Even if I were by myself I would still use the 30:2 method. I know there is some debate whether a single rescuer should only do compressions or in combination with rescue breathing. The reason for this is the average lay person takes 8 seconds to go from compressions to breathing and then 8 more seconds to return to compressions. The heart has less than 30% efficiency when doing compressions and it only decreases from there, so those are precious seconds that can't be wasted. For someone familiar with CPR and comfortable, I would do both compressions and rescue breathing strictly due to the fact that it would more than likely not take them 8 seconds. If no mask were available I would only do compressions. Like I said in the beginning these are my opinions and how I would personally treat a situation off-duty.

_jedi_ likes this.
  18. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Seems that every time I get recertified, something changes. (I guess that's why we have to get recertified, right?)

My work gear has a mask in it. I should move that to my EDC.

My favorite line was about the timing of compressions. "You can use a common song for the timing, 'Stayin alive' is one, but my choice is 'Another one bites the dust'."

Dok J likes this.
  19. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Your glass is half empty isn't it ac7ss:unsure: :p