1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cowboy Boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by skip0911, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

Leather boots don't cope as well when it's wet -- they slip more and also deteriorate faster. If you get some boots you like with leather soles, at least think about some thin Danite glue-on rubber soles to protect the leather sole and heel. Leather makes most sense in an actual riding boot, where the leather sticks to the stirrup but also slips in and out easily.

Fancy boots are not for daily use, at least unless you don't mind wearing through them quickly. To look good they need to be in good shape, and they lose that with much use. Ostrich and a couple other leathers are durable as well; many finishes are not. But if you want to wear them day in, day out, get some nice but plain boots that are above all comfortable. Ariat makes some very good boots for daily use.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Same pic, different camera setting
    [​IMG]
    From left to right, Ariat Workhogs, Laredo Python Skin, Lucchese Caiman Skin, Lucchese Lizard Skin, Ariat Boots, Red Wings 4416 Logger Boots, Danner Stryker, Red Wing Steel Toe Romeo Boots (which I wear under my suit to the office).

Leather soles might be ideal for riding horses, but they're terrible for everything else. I slip on carpet and wet grass. If I buy a pair of leather soled boots, I add to the budget aftermarket lug soles right away.

3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I briefly had a pair of Justin Stampede boots with round toe and rubber sole. The footbed was great! Water proof too. I just couldn't get past the ridiculous upper and the way they rubbed my lateral calf areas.

I thought since I finally had that style of boot I could wear a boot knife. Total discomfort and quickly abandoned.

4. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I've had luck clipping a folder inside the top of a pair of boots, but haven't found a good fixed blade setup.
    I would definitely like to see some better fixed blade boot/knife options.

5. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

The last pair I bought were Carolina Well X Loggers. Before that it was a brand named Kodiak out of Canada but they discontinued the style I liked. I always had a pair of Chippewa Engineer boots around as well. Living in Buffalo, NY at the time I needed warm and dry more than beauty. Now I live in Florida with 65 year old feet so it's casual friday every day.

#25 wazu013, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

My ropers are also Justin; somewhat rounded toe; but leather sole and stacked leather heel. At the tallest, the upper is just under 10" -- significantly less than the uppers were on my 'regular' boots. Don't chafe my calves at all.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

My primary pair is Twisted X and the rest are Tony Lama. Tried Justin and Ariat along the way....wasnt a big fan.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Justin Drillers...I have the plain and steel toe versions

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I have two pairs of Dan Post lizard skin boots. A black pair I wore at our wedding in 1994, and a brown pair I bought in 1991.

The brown pair are practically brand new in the box. At the time I bought them, the store had two pairs on clearance sale for $89 each. I bought them both. Wore one pair for years, resoled them a number times. They finally fell apart. I gave the other pair to my dad. Awhile back, I was at my dad's house and mom was cleaning out his closet. I saw the box and opened it up. Brand new, never worn. I walked out with them. Dad said, where you going with those? I said, I'm repossessing them.:D