1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 and Masks...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Moshe ben David, Apr 3, 2020.

1. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Maybe substandard refers to the fact that they’ve been marked as N95 or N99 but wouldn’t fulfill those requirements. If so, that’s a different story than the basic masks and this doesn’t matter.
    Some people try to get their hands on N95 or N99, although they should be reserved for frontline personal. But I understand that this is a confusing time and it’s not on me to judge if it gives people peace of mind and they feel protected.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Morse code

2. Cristobal

Cristobal Loaded Pockets

OK, it was referring to medical grade masks, that's what I thought in retrospect. However, the alternative for those who need/want N95 protection is to get industrial face mask respirators (for painting/sanding jobs) and their filters (5N11 by 3M for instance), that are/were available in hardware stores. Not only are they reusable but they aren't the type of masks medical staff use.

In France, in order to prepare for the lift of the lockdown, on 11 May, news agents, supermarkets and pharmacies have been selling masks as of Monday; prices vary from €2-5 for textile ones and €1 for disposable ones (made of some kind of hardened paper I guess).

On the other hand, a N95/FFP2 standard reusable mask, developped by Michelin, the tire manufacturer, will be widely available in June for public (about €28, with 5 filters usable up to 100 times, then 5 filters for €10). At the moment they supply only medical staff, law enforcement officers, firefighters/EMT, etc. I will probably place an order in late June.

Looks like a duck which ran into a door, but at least it's safe.

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David and echo victor like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@EZDog: ^^ priceless! Plus a great recycling use of an obsolete CD.... Kudos!

Further kudos to whomever is the gent ... great beard. 'ALMOST' as good as my own! ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

5. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

If still looking for masks Doom and Bloom has some in stock of both surgical style and N95. The did come from China, but they said they cut one open to inspect that it at least looked like it had all the proper layers. Order placed to receipt was less than a week.

MyMedic also has some in stock, but the person I know who ordered from them took a couple weeks and I don’t know the quality.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So my masks came in from SoTech Tactical Today and they are pretty sweet!

I actually do not really understand how the filters are supposed to go in them just yet but just as they ship they are more rugged,substantial and of better construction than any others that I have seen so far.

The Bihn masks are really nicely made too but on the thin side as far as fabric goes where the SoTech are made of actual Nylon Ripstop material like in many bags and jackets and they are also big enough for my now admitted watermelon head and face!

It has only taken getting 4 other failures really to at last get ones that I use right out of the box?

I also saw the Mystery Ranch masks last night and may try them as well I am sure they are as well made as anything else and the design seems to be one shared by many pf the tactical bag makers that now are making masks and seem like they will be big enough as well.

7. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

finally good news. My masks from SOTech finally arrived this morning. This was the replacement for my order that did not arrive.
    Impressed with SOTech in handling my issue.

[​IMG]

ran23 likes this.
  8. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Using any filters with it?

9. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

yeah. it included 3 more filters. I also brought an extra pack of filters, though I will likely use coffee filter for normal grocery runs.

10. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I'm still waiting on amazon orders. turns out one is coming from China. Another smaller order is delayed. I bought some local ones, wish they had filter pouches.

11. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

oh ok. Actually I had a doubt when I tried searching for the facemask you described on Amazon and was not able to find it. Already assumed it may not be stocked on the US. I usually tick the Prime checkbox when I do searches just to be sure that the search results will filter out possible products that are coming outside the US, or are not stocked locally.

more imgs from my SOTech order and the back of the mask.

[​IMG]

EZDog likes this.
  12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I turned on Prime for my Amazon TV Stick. I will have to play with it , next time I am searching for things.

godcode likes this.
  13. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

Hello all,
    I’m sewing masks for my community and have gone through several iterations of pattern refinement. I make a pleated style and also a cupped style. The pleated style has an opening between its two layers to a pocket for adding your own filter. The cupped style can also have a third layer which would allow the insertion of your own filter. Both styles have evolved to have adjustable elastic your loops because I found that fit varied from person to person and this was the best way to allow them to adjust the elastic on their own. Also I have tried out instead of ear loops having elastic head loops which are also adjustable.

If anyone is still not able to find reusable cloth masks in their own community or online let me know.

ran23, godcode, SOS24 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Cristobal

Cristobal Loaded Pockets

Some feedback. After trying a reusable half face piece respirator and a textile mask with a filter, I must say the half face piece is much more comfortable to wear.

Both become very humid after 10 to 15 minutes, but breathing progressively becomes uneasy with the textile mask (wet fabric touching your nostrils and making harder to breath through it, whereas the half mask is rather roomy, so that there's nothing to pressure on your nose and block the air flow).

15. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have used half facepiece respirators for spraying chemicals, spray painting, cutting concrete, etc., around the yard for a long time. The upside is that they have an exhaust valve for easier exhale. The downside is that same valve allows the wearer to spread a viral infection more easily.

Even though I have three or four of the HFRs, I only use a textile mask or a 3M 8210 respirator (bought a few dozen last year for working around the house) in public.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

ThaMac likes this.
  16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Interesting!
    I got the First Responder version and they are a little different it seems but also the best that I have tried so far by a long measure!
    The masks are not just a piece of fabric with ear loops but are multiple layers of heavy ripstop nylon with a pocket folded into the tufts,sort of.
    The filters go in but I can not tell how they are supposed to sit in there,mine suggest using two at a time which I wish they had mentioned before I didn't order enough for not knowing?
    The instructions baffle me too and I just can not understand what they are saying,not even a little bit?
    The great thing though is that these seem to fit my Melon Face and are almost the only ones that have!

[​IMG]

#136 EZDog, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020