1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 and Masks...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Moshe ben David, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Many, many thanks for doing the 'legwork' that I could have and shoulda done if I weren't so lazy!

Surprising to learn actually that a mask sold at places like Home Depot in some ways is better... but given the folks who would use it and the type(s) of work being done I'm actually not surprised.

I've got to visit Home Depot for something else; wonder if they're stock out on these? No plans to buy but I'm betting with the panic response all over the place they've been cleaned out for weeks!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

adnj likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same here,I have only recieved masks from Tom Bihn of all of the orders that I was promised.

ran23 likes this.
  3. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

just an update. my no touch covid tool arrived but not my SOTech facemask. Currently awaiting callback from FedEx by tomorrow. Apparently, the delivery guy has already went home. Weird though, I received an email from FedEx that the package has been delivered, but when I went out, there was no package on my front dooror, not even a Fedex truck nearby.

ran23 likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

One wonders 'where' was it delivered to......?!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

5. nursetim 40

nursetim 40 Loaded Pockets

I’m not settling for anything less than P-100. Even then, to properly implement REAL infection control, it is so laborious that most hospitals have a difficult time doing it properly. It’s like fighting terrorists, they only have to be lucky once, we have to be lucky 100% of the time. One misstep and you are contaminated.
    I wear a buff with Guy Fawks on it. I don’t care. It’s the kabuki theater of infection control, play acting.

6. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

Indeed. Currently waiting for feedback or a call from their office who promised me yesterday to call be back for progress. Also saw 2 FedEx trucks pass by the street. Hopefully one of 'em will have the facemasks.

7. Moshe ben David

Normally I might say something trite like "...don't hold your breath..." Just realized it might be taken as a silly form of healthcare advice, so this time I won't say it...;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  8. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, yeah, I have already considered it lost. FedEx insisted that the parcel was delivered but refused to provide proof. Awaiting for refund from SOTech. I currently have unused 2 facemasks and 1 KN-95 left. Been reusing 3 by leaving them on sunlight to disinfect after every use.

9. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I nave two orders that I’m waiting on. One I new was going to be a while because the date range went out until the beginning of may. The other keeps sliding the expected ship date back 3 days to 10 days to 3 weeks. I haven’t requested a refund yet because the ones I ordered are reusable with replaceable filters and the company at least is communicating. think it was like a lot of companies who underestimated production times and customer response so no they are overwhelmed, but trying to get products out.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I got 6 masks yesterday from a local company that I ordered a month ago and they are so tiny that I can not wear them?

Now I do not manufacture masks at all myself but it seems that there are sre plenty of masks in the wild to sample measurements from if you are designing masks to sell on the market and I have seen plenty of people walking around with masks that are clearly big enough and also clearly way too big so I am sort of baffled about now receiving masks from 2 different sources that are just too small to be useful to me at all?

One maker is already offering a new larger size that might likely actually work for me but I doubt I will throw more money at those honestly after essentially throwing money away at them already?

The other local company has yet to reply to my problem as I only told them through email yesterday but I imagine I will NEVER buy from them again either if they will not offer to make them right in some way for me and hopefully without needing to wait another month too?

Anyway I have worn a lot of masks for many years for work and have NEVER had one that was unusable due to size,that I can remember?

Very frustrating.

11. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I didn't read everything here . So I may be repeating stuff . I have said this before but I work at a hospital as maintenance , we get weekly emails on updates and how to protect ourselves ..
    First thing the recommendation for the general public to wear mask is more to keep the mask wearer from spreading it than to filter air for you . Unless they are doing an " aerosol generating procedure " Covid19 is not considered airborne and you don't need N95 mask. We use contact and droplet isolation protocol to work in a room gloves, gown, surgical mask and face shield
    This is all information sent us from infection control
    So if you are other wise healthy you are fairly safe if you wear a mask glasses maintain social distance and practice hand sanitizing .

If you are in the high risk groups stay in and have what you need delivered

I found some large hair scrunchies that work for the elastic to make mask

I go out wearing a mask to protect others because working at a hospital , I am more likely to be a carrier than most people

[​IMG]

ThaMac, jcombs and Moshe ben David like this.
  12. Cristobal

Cristobal Loaded Pockets

I've been using a half face respirator mask with N95 filters.

[​IMG]

For my mother I ordered a textile mask (others are on the way) in which the same N95 filters fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ran23 likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Textile mask from where?
    I can not seem to get his done.

14. Cristobal

Cristobal Loaded Pockets

Aliexpress

15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Bear in mind, just this week Chinese authorities have confiscated 89 MILLION sub standard masks. Whether that’s all if them or not I don’t know.

16. Cristobal

Cristobal Loaded Pockets

I don't know what "sub standard" means exactly, but the kind of masks I ordered are made of fabric, so basically they do not protect who wears them and just prevent the wearer from spreading the virus if infected by blocking droplets.

Last edited by Cristobal, Apr 27, 2020
    #116 Cristobal, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So just an update from my mask hunting.
    I received yet another set that were unusably tiny and thus worthless for my use and though the supplier claimed that they would make it right I can now not get them on the phone or through email if my life depended on it?!?!?!

On the Positive side,Tom Bihn does not want us to have masks that do not work and have developed a new larger size and are replacing the tiny ones with the larger ones if you feel it needed!
    I am not at all surprised at this as they are the benchmark for customer service that I have long compared to other companies and I fully expected that this is how they would respond!
    Long Live Bihn!

Moshe ben David and echo victor like this.
  18. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

May be off topic, but for the diy mask folks, have you been successful with finding filter inserts? If so, which?

19. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

In the process of making a few from buffs (cheapo ones) and I’ve seen some hepa filters on amazon, so I’m waiting for them to come in - but they aren’t dispatched or sold by amazon so I’ll have to wait and see. Can’t find any Uk based ones on eBay at all. I fear I’m a couple of weeks late.

I’ll report back.

20. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

same boat here. My Amazon shipment either will come in May or June. *shrug*

I picked whatever was out there. Zero due diligence.