1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 and Masks...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Moshe ben David, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Wish I could say I'm surprised....NOT! ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is certainly the Happy Talk we are being fed it seems.

It is not Rocket Surgery to imagine that we should all have better masks for our use but instead of facing this reality we are required to pretend that these minimal masks are the deal,we just do not have enough masks to do it the right way in my mind is the simple truth.

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

No we shouldn’t. FFP3 are for trench soldiers that are on the front of the battle. If you wear one of those, you need the correct size and you gotta fit them tight and properly. What we should do now, is reducing the spray. Is it perfect? Of course not. But an FFP3 usually has a valve. Meaning if you are infected, you blow the virus out. The idea is, infected people should spread less, not we should try to protect ourselves. IMHO a mask alone is not sufficient for that anyway. Is it a compromise? Sure. Else a hazmat suit would be an option.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Morse code.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is just silly to me.

I already stated that I understand that we do not have enough real masks to get by and that obviously front line workers who are known to be at risk should have these if we all can not.'

So are you honestly of the opinion that if we had enough to wear everywhere that it still is not what you would do or suggest?

If so then agree to disagree.

I feel certain that if we could we would.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Yes, that’s my opinion. The mask alone doesn’t do it. You would at least need a face shield and gloves. Which, by the way, you would need to change regularly. All that as a minimum. As I said, a hazmat suit would be your best bet.
    Better to protect others if you got the virus. Plus, and here comes the important part, distancing is still key.
    There will be a second wave. This talk about flattening the curve. People forget that the number of infected remain the same. Only the distribution over time changes.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Morse code

6. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This is my big concern. I fear as time goes on many people will become more lax in their distancing and self-isolation which will lead to a spike instead of maintaining a flattened curve. I have also seen videos about the shutdowns and stay-at-home orders possibly extending this for even longer than the social distancing. If that happens some say it could result in a recession/depression that results in in even more deaths. I’m not sure how much I believe all that, but if true it definitely is concerning.

7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

This is, from my layman’s perspective, to some extend a danger of this situation. Especially when some people really think it’s a great idea to fire Fauci, the voice of reason. If you didn’t read yet, I recommend https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Morse code

8. Moshe ben David

Right on brother!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

9. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Seems like he hit the main points and explained them with some clarity.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

10. Moshe ben David

Doesn't help to have the Con Artist in Chief suggesting that social distancing is somehow tied into the 2nd Amendment. And worse openly formenting rebellions against Governors doing their best based on medical advice to protect their states' populations... He is such a self-serving cynical bastard!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You seem determined to both dismiss my thoughts and take them entirely out of context?

I simply feel we would all be wearing actual manufactured rated masks if the were enough of them to go around,thats all.
    I am not suggesting any of the other stuff that you keep layering on or redirecting.
    Nothing that you cite in written or research form negates my simple assertion in any way.

Further I feel we are being mislead about this because the powers that be simply will not be honest about the shortage and I really can not understand how anyone could argue that?

The rest of your statements are tough to argue which is why I have never started to.

12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Social distancing is tied to the Second Amendment when you need to keep the herd back a safe minimumof 6 ft. *sarcasm*

13. njpreps

njpreps Loaded Pockets

Yeah though if I wanted substantial I would just wear an N95 or equivalent. These are meant to keep me from spraying everywhere. Covers my mouth and nose and a good bit around.

14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

First of all, if you think you are getting dismissed, there is nothing I can do about it, it seems.
    Again, even if N95 (FFP3) masks would be available for everyone, we should not wear them. They are hard to breathe with and seal tight. Breathing out, would probably lift the mask where it seals against you face. To avoid this, they have a valve, where you breath out through it nearly unobstructed. This but means, if you are infected, you are protected but you happily spread that little efer.
    Considering we don’t know the estimated number of unknown cases, at all, and the fact that a mask alone doesn’t cut it, the virus would be still spreading. This is why I cringe when I see someone smart with a mask with a valve.
    We have to try to contain the virus to its current host(s) if possible, without making our life miserable and stopping absolutely all of our contacts, which is impossible. Therefore the simple masks, which help to prevent the particle travel, simply by slowing down air speeds when you breath out, cough, or sneeze, in combination with distancing, are a good idea.
    Wash your hands with soap (I will not go into the whole hulled virus, soap over hand sanitizer ever day discussion) to avoid smear infections and your chances to protect the uninfected part of the population are already way better.
    Lastly, don’t understand the mask and hand wash and distancing thing as measures to protect yourself. It should protect others, should you be infected. Now this, is not rocket science.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Morse code.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

A couple of points come to mind....

There is a second version of the 'N95' mask, that at least here in the US has been marketed in places like Home Depot for work in dusty environments (e.g., sanding dry wall seams...). I have a couple; they are marked 'R95'. Not sure if the 'R' simply stands for 'Residential' or if it likely has a more technical connotation. Probably it does; with the '95' indicating again that it will filter at a 95% level...

At any rate, the ones I have and have seen elsewhere do not have the valve. I've worn mine for some work around the house; most notably when I suspected I was working around poison ivy and the like. I was able to wear it and work for hours. Not the most comfortable thing, but breathing was not really an issue.

My second point is this. Yes, all the distancing measures, gloves, masks, etc., are primarily designed to reduce risk that the individual (yourself) will not inadvertently infect others. But let's be real. The mask does give some protection to the wearer; hand washing does play a role to prevent self-infection from whatever might have been picked up on the hands from external contact. Even distancing plays a role; by reducing the probability of walking 'through' (I hate the image of that, but don't know what else to say) a residual 'cloud' still in the air from someone who has passed by...

Let's face it. These are not pure either/or issues!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

ran23 likes this.
  16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah and once again I never mentioned a mask with a valve either?

I am just not going to accept that wearing a mask designed to filter air coming in and going out and designed to any designated standard is simply not a better alternative than wearing any indiscriminate design made of fabric that just might happen to slow the cloud I am breathing out.

Of course any mask that is restrictive in any way will make it harder to breathe,that is pretty much the whole point.
    My lung power pulls and pushes the filtered air through the filter.

And the idea that we would not each be wearing commercially available masks if we could get them is just crazy to me.

Anyway I am done here.

17. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

The entire mask restricting breathing is a very real issue especially for people with respiratory issues.

Many of these people are also at higher risk due to the respiratory issues.

A valve mask may not protect others as well, which is what is being emphasized, but it may make it easier for them to breath while also protecting them.

18. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN N95 AND R95 RESPIRATORS

The difference between the two pertains to their resistance to oil-based particles.

3M puts it like this, "Under the NIOSH classification system, 'N' rated respirators can only be used for particles that do not contain oils. But, 'R' rated respirators may be used in environments that contain oily particles."

This means that respirators with a NIOSH rating of "R" are have a broader spectrum of protection and are in this sense a better mask. "N" rated disposable respirators offer no protection from oily particles.

SO WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A P95 AND R95?

We've seen that the N95 does not filter oily particles but the R95 does. But what is a P95 respirator? NIOSH has two designations for oily-based particle disposable respirators - R95 and P95. The "R" rating is said to be "somewhat resistant to oil". The "P" rating is said to be "strongly resistant to oil".

In other words, the R95 has an 8 hour service life. The P95 has a 40 hour or 30 day service life (whichever comes first). You can read more about this in the following NIOSH article: NIOSH-Approved Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators.

To sum up: a N95 disposable respirator does not protect against oily particles; a R95 does; a P95 also does and has a longer service life than the R95.

https://www.majorsafety.com/blogs/news/whats-the-difference-between-an-n95-and-r95-respirator

19. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

turns out my amazon order of masks is not shipping. Black valve type with carbon filters. So now I probably can't find them anywhere else.

20. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

My ACU and Khaki facemasks with additional 10 filter inserts ordered from sotechtactical just shipped yesterday.
    They will possibly arrive tomorrow.

ran23 likes this.