1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 and Masks...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Moshe ben David, Apr 3, 2020.

1. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Just put 'Japanese Black Face Masks' in the search. less than $20US. The 50x black ones will not be here until May, all say US made.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I did exactly that and couldn't find anything that would ship any sooner really?

4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

My black Face Mask with Carbon filters is coming the 14th. maybe everything is sold out already.

5. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After 9/11, I started keeping masks. I gave some to a clerk at the PO yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ran23 and godcode like this.
  6. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

yeah i think it ran out right away. face masks are very very in demand right now. you're lucky to be able to buy them on time.
    I was thinking of bulk buying face mask in chinese online stores for future use but did not proceed. Caveat Emptor:
    https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/04/09/finland-discovers-masks-bought-from-china-not-hospital-safe.html?fbclid=IwAR1zDGgCb4Orf5gEjonIqYiBnn48TvwLzguIpwuRaRqpgir8r4gxPS_VxIA

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Can't say I'm surprised. Considering so many folks are wearing cloth masks of who knows what performance, they ought to still be OK for just things like going to the market:

"...health ministry permanent secretary Kirsi Varhila told a news conference.

However she said that it would be possible to use the masks in residential care facilities and for carers making home visits."

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

godcode likes this.
  8. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

true. I think it can't be avoided anymore because there is a rush of demand from the front lines and in all corners of the globe, quality will decline.

BTW, some KN95's are being sold in LAPG but with a Caveat Emptor also.
    Hopefully demand will be met sooner and 3M will be able to provide for us civilians. I actually tried using those tactical multi wraps as alternative to the hankie, but it was too tight unfortunately.

9. Moshe ben David

No reason for quality to decline assuming two things are true. (1) manufacturing processes well designed and managed; (2) material properties continue to meet specs. The better factories (anywhere in the world) are a combination of automatic and semi-automatic processes which should not result in lower quality. Hand-made (especially if factories in some places farm out to people using lower grade sewing machines in the living rooms :(! ) could. Turning to lesser materials could also.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tom Bihn evidently has enough masks made now that they are selling them and they are in stock!

ran23, jbj and SOS24 like this.
  11. jbj

jbj Loaded Pockets

Ordered some just to show support (and also did their Buy One, Give One deal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZDog likes this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I ordered a few as well both to support the effort and also to actually get a few masks for my face!

I ordered from other vendors over a week ago and none have shipped or responded to me wanting to know when or why they may but my experience with Bihn tells me that if they say they are in stock that they are actually in stock!

There is a company local to me though that is selling T-Shirt like Buffs for $1 in 25 packs and you can just go there and pick some up!
    Seems like a great alternative to the unknown and higher priced more complicated masks out there that you might order but never get and it is refreshing to see a company selling cheap to provide an essential service with no other strings or bull-:censored: attached!

https://stores.inksoft.com/facemask/shop/home

Last edited by EZDog, Apr 14, 2020
    #72 EZDog, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Seeing all these morons out an about with poorly fitting masks or DIY snoods/buffs...and STILL touching their faces, noses, eyes and mask constantly. I despair. Totally pointless exercise if you're going to behave like this.
    Also, people wearing gloves, like they're NOT wearing gloves. Again, touching their faces, phones, keys etc.
    I'm an NHS nurse and someone at high risk of becoming seriously ill if I contract covid19.

14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Well, we all do what we can and we are not trained. Still better than nothing. We will learn and get better.
    Maybe my routine is wrong but again, I try. Try to fit a mask, any mask. Not touching my face and when I shop, I take what I touch. My shopping list is no longer on my phone, but I print it out and dispose it (properly) there. Against advice I wear gloves, as carts are not sanitized where I shop. When I do, I only touch “dirty” things (no phone, keys, anything). When I take them off, I do it the proper way and drop them in the trash can there. And so on and so forth. Hand washing and distancing is a must anyway. Actually, I can get pretty b*tchy when someone comes too close.
    As I said, maybe I make mistakes, but I try to protect others. Mask will not protect me, I’m aware of that. Gloves I have the same idea about, but like a 50/50 for me and others. Yes I know, some people say not to wear gloves, but I think I’m doing it ok-ish.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

15. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

It isn't the wearing of PPE that bothers me, but the lack of awareness of the other behaviours that people need to adopt alongside it. It creates a false sense of security.
    I Was watching a guy (in his 60s maybe, no PPE) standing in a supermarket queue earlier today. Wiping his mouth, nose and eyes with his hand (front and back!), having a pretty good time of it it seems. Nice.

16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

In the States there is Dr. Fauci and then there is a version of the Government that says “it’s just a panic” and “let’s open again” and “the economy is the problem, people will be ok” and so on and so forth. What message does this send? Older people, maybe less educated, what can they make of that? I’m not bashing anyone here, but that’s the way it is at the moment. Send a clear message, as a country, as the legislation. If WWE seems to be essential, that’s one of those messages as well. It’s not only words, but actions.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

#76 ThaMac, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  17. njpreps

njpreps Loaded Pockets

My Tom Bihn masks arrived. The material is a bit lighter than I expected but they are pretty comfortable. The ear strap is the best I've seen so far.

18. Moshe ben David

Did anything come with them indicating what filter capability they have? I'm thinking in terms of particle size often expressed in microns but could be other units; also in terms of what percentage would be 'filtered out'.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nothing at all and they are much much less substantial than I was hoping or expecting too?
    I am also thinking I must have a huge face as mine seem pretty small?
    Nicely made for sure but not too inspired by mine really either.

20. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Guess we are rather at the “keep yo spittle to yourself” level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk