1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 and Masks...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Moshe ben David, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So... it is looking strongly like the wearing of a mask of some sort will soon become a standard thing, like it or not.

There have been here on edcf numerous threads discussing wearing either shemaghs or buffs especially in winter for warmth.

Anyone want to chime in with thoughts on wearing either of these as an alternative to known medical style masks? Not in terms of if you are infected nor in terms of if you need it because you are a first responder, medical staff, etc. But in terms of being an 'average Joe' and wanting something as a prophylactic.... And if so what kind of material as the months grow warmer?

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

EZDog likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just wonder exactly what we are expected to use since it seems we are screwed for the obvious masks that are unobtanium right now?

It is just another in the continuum of screw ups here to suggest face covering but with zero guidance on precisely how or what they think our options are?

I dont own a Scarf or bandana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fisk-king likes this.
  3. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

#3 SOS24, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I kinda feels that way. The CDC is recommending that anyone venturing out in public wear a "cloth face cover", but they don't go into detail. My guess is that they just want people to take at least some measure of preventive action, without causing panic because people don't have the "correct" materials.

5. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I don't mind wearing a mask of some sort when I go out. Can you direct me to where exactly I am supposed to get some?

6. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Based on the article that @SOS24 linked, it doesn't look like a shemagh is terribly effective from a filtration standpoint, but...it will check the box as a "cloth face cover" if you're out in public and want to avoid getting noticed by authorities for being uncovered (it feels weird typing that). I think I have enough cotton material at home, plus a sewing machine, that both my wife and I can operate, so it looks like we have some projects to look forward to.

7. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

how about a hijab?

Ixoye likes this.
  8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Every mask works. The idea is not and cannot be, to take N95 away from medical staff. It all about reducing particles and droplets that you exhale, or cough out, or sneeze out. Remember guys, you can be sick, not knowing it. So the masks should help protect others, not you.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+sew+a+face+mask

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes I understand this entirely what I do not understand at all is where we are supposed to come up with one?
    I am a pretty clever DIY guy as are most of us here I bet but I rarely if ever work in the realm of fabrics and face coverings and pretty much have ZERO resources or ideas about how and where to start?

It does not seem as simple to me as you seem to find it for yourself.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. ffmedic245

ffmedic245 Loaded Pockets

Joann Fabrics.
    Michael's.
    Or if it's your bag, Hobby Lobby.

Patterns abound online. Your main issue will be finding elastic, but I've seen people posting about being able to use hair ties. You can also make fabric ties to go around your head and tie instead of elastic ear loops.

11. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I found local cloth designer collectives and seamstresses producing some. Ask neighbors or search on the web. No one needs to make them.

Plus, you got thread and needles and cloth and you are locked in. So just be patient and take one step at a time.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

It's really not rocket science...anyone with functional hands and needle & thread can find some kind of cloth and make one..... and now's the chance to use that paracord for the ear straps...or just sew 'em. It doesn't have to be pretty.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Funny but around here these are all stores that are closed and some even in the news for forced closings.
    I have no elastic,hair ties or fabric of any kind other than used shirts I guess.
    I am sure I can rig something but......

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ummmm,single guy here,no thread,needles or skills.
    Maybe will use Staples for paper and see what happens?

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Not sure what being single has to do with anything. At minimum you probably have cloth you can cannibalize from a t-shirt, shirt, pillowcase, old sheet, etc. You can bypass using needles if you don't have them by using twine/paracord for the ear pieces. All you have to do is punch holes in the basic mask, tie a knot and use the paracord for ear/head pieces...leave enough for adjustment. It may not be pretty, but it will be functional. If you need instruction on how to make one, they're all over the place...and sewing is a simple skill. Here's a brief tutorial: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/health/how-to-make-your-own-mask-wellness-trnd/index.html

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just trying to get some hot female seamstress to feel sorry for me and come make me a mask!

Like I have said now many times,I am sure I can figure something out but also will say again that there are none available in my area that I can turn up premade unless I am willing to send money blindly to places that have now magically sprouted overnight promising to send me one.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

A laudable plan..:bounce: , but in case it fails, whip out a bandana for a little motorcycle gang mojo...or ninja juju....:cool:

18. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

If you need supplies then plenty of firms on eBay are still trading and delivering. If you get creative then you should be able to sort something out.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I had a Bandana I would already be using it.

[​IMG]

nosuchagency, Gary Gross and Moco like this.
  20. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I used a Buff (stretchy neck gaiter) and several layers of different materials with small pores. I turned the Buff inside-out, layered the materials on the center third (alternating layers so there were two layers of each material, but not next to each other), then folded the top and bottom thirds of the Buff over the material to hold it in place. Since the Buff is a stretchy tube, it holds itself in place relatively well, although you can't fit to shape around your nose. I have no idea if it is effective, but it is probably a few steps up from a plain bandanna and it gave me a way to entertain myself.

SOS24, Gary Gross and Moshe ben David like this.