1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CountyComm peanut lighter versus Bic?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by cosine, Jun 17, 2008.

1. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

Anyone ever do a comparison of the two? Advantages/disadvantages of each?

I usually carry a Bic, but those peanut lighters are looking mighty appealing.

2. e206

e206 Loaded Pockets

Bic is ordinary. That doesn't mean bad, they're really useful, inexpensive and reliable.
    Peanut lighter is waterproof though, stylish, keychainable, refillable, and has that great zippo smell when it goes out.

3. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I have a peanut lighter from EDCdepot.com mainly because I like the Zippo-style lighters. I don't EDC it, but only because I EDC a Zippo. That said, I use mini Bics in my PSKs.

Bics don't need maintenance, and as noted earlier, they are cheap and they just work.

Zippo-style lighters like the peanut lighter are for me, an indulgence. They are anachronistic, smelly and require maintenance. Kinda like me.

4. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

With Bic you need to take precautions against the lever getting pressed and losing all the gas. I also have some concerns about the grind-wheel in my pocket scratching anything it comes against.

With peanut lighters you have take care not to lose the rubber ring. There is no indication of how much fuel remains. However, it is refillable. It's easy to store spare flints.

The form-factors are different. The peanut is a wide cylinder where the Bic is flat. The Bic is longer. I think the peanut is probably more comfortable in a back pocket, provided you make sure you are not actually sitting on it.

In my experience Bic is more likely to light first time, and is easier to use with cold hands.

5. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

I like them both, consider the peanut lighter a better choice for EDC.

That being said, I had one of the transparent bic lighters in storage. The fuel level was still at about 50%, but just the other day, couldn't get the thing to light, for that matter, couldn't even get a spark. I'm not a smoker and I doubt if I'd even used it more than about 20 times before.

Cody Lundin swears by them-do you think this was just a fluke?

6. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

Any lint in there?

Only trouble I've ever had with a Bic that still has fuel in it was from lint in the works.

7. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Likewise. I've had lint problems. On cheaper butane lighters, however, I have seen them fail asymptomatically like this. When I smoked, I would sometimes buy the cheap lighters in the bin at the store, many would not light brand new. Not so with a Bic,though.

8. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I'm a smoker and I EDC a bic to light up. I also carry the peanut lighter on my keychain. It's not as convenient as a bic for using twenty times a day or so. But, once in a while, I find myself without my bic (mislaid it somewhere) and then I have to use the Peanut. It always lights, even if I haven't used it at all for months. It's an odd little thing, clumsy and slow to have to remove the top and then hold it just right to make sure that I don't spin the wheel on the wick side while protecting it from the wind, but it's there and it works in a very simple fashion. It seems to maintain its fuel forever and give that little flame that's all it takes to light something or make a fire. I wouldn't be without it, and highly recommend that anyone who thinks they may somehow somewhere need that small flame get one.

9. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

I agree that for someone who uses a lighter regularly, a peanut lighter isn't the best choice. It's almost too small to operate properly, has a time consuming screw cap, and sometimes requires multiple tries to light. The reason why I carry a peanut lighter is because I rarely use it, but know that it will work when ever I need it. Plus with the screw cap on, it's impossible to accidentally activate it while in a bag or pocket.

10. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

I did consider getting a Peanut, but given the flawless performance of my mini Bics, their durability, reliability, light weight and low price... Plus, they are maintenance free, and it's very easy to keep several stashed around. My last ditch one rides in a utility pouch, with a zip tie holding the thum press off. Never had any problem with lint, the sparks have never failed, and right before the fuel ends, the flame starts gets smaller, as a warning. Numerous times I've found Bics on the street, old and beaten, that would still light up. I think the mini Bic is a EDCers dream. Only thing is lacks is charm and glamour.

11. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Ha, hand them over to my kids, and they will take a Sharpie to them or glue on bling gemstones or figure a way to put beads on them! Works of art!

I have both, precisely for the reasons saniterra states. My Bics are like pens--they walk away all the time.

12. stitch_paradox

stitch_paradox Loaded Pockets

I have both Bic and the Countycomm Peanut lighter. For me the Bic is a better EDC lighter, specially if you always use lighters. I have the Panut lighter in my mini survival kit.