1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Countycomm heat shrink tubing

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Spyderco1116, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Spyderco1116

Spyderco1116 Loaded Pockets

Anyone ever mess around with this stuff? Is it worth it? What are some of the things you have used them on?

2. TallNHairyDave

TallNHairyDave Loaded Pockets

Not the stuff from countycomm, but I've used use heat shrink tubing for insulating soldered joints in wires, putting replacement end finishes on boot laces, bundling together wooden toothpicks...

3. Spyderco1116

Spyderco1116 Loaded Pockets

Hmm.. well it's pretty cheap stuff so maybe I'll play around with it, THX!

4. Ollie243

Ollie243 Loaded Pockets

I use this when carp fishing. It's used to put around the hook and the line to give the hook a better chance of setting when a carp sucks up.

I can imagine it to be good for around weak solder joints

5. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Never used the CountyComm heat shrink tubing specifically, but I've used regular heat shrink tubing quite a bit the last 15+ years or so for a variety of electrical projects around the house and in my cars. I usually solder then use the 2:1 stuff, but have used some of the 3:1 and adhesive lined shrink tubing as well. If I am working on a bigger project or somewhere where an open flame isn't terribly safe I use a heat gun, otherwise I just use a lighter to shrink it down.

6. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG]

I used it here to secure the pocketclip of an ITP a2 so it wouldn't spin around the body and scratch the anodisation. Also as mentiond on shoelaces ends, and for electrical work instaid of electrical tape.

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I havent used the countycomm stuff
    But i have plenty of normal electrical shop stuff floating around

2:1 is ok, but i much prefer the 3:1 or 4:1 stuff (it can be a bit harder to find and more expensive)

If your doing electrical work that you need to make water resistant, or want it to stay put on a smooth surface you need the adhesive lined stuff

8. HybridMomentsPass

Does CC still say something about 'military asked for it...' or something to that effect?

Used the regular stuff many times in teh past, its great.
    Go to walmart or somewhere, you should have no problem finding it there or at Advance Auto, Lowes, Home Depot etc etc

9. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

There are plenty of stores that sell the heat shrink tubing. Check in the electrical department at hardware stores, etc.

It's cheaper & does the exact same thing the CC tubing does.

10. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I've used the regular stuff occasionally, mostly when working on guitar electronics. For some more creative uses, I remember others posting about using it to add a bit of grip to a smooth metal pen and a "bite area" on a metal flashlight (so you can keep it in your mouth without having to grind your teeth against knurled aluminium).

11. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

Not the CountyComm stuff either, but I've used a few layers of large tubing (1" or so) to replace the worn out rubber on the wheel of a PC mouse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can also be used to make sheaths for small tools, but the corners and edges wear out from friction.

12. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I've used larger sized lengths to cover the upper legs of my tripod. It adds a layer of protection and warmth without the bulk of the Velcro-fastened Neoprene covers. And it looks trick, which is always a bonus. ;D Amazon has the larger sizes, in lots of colours too.