1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CountyComm Bac Sac?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Finnigan, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

Hello all, I haven't been around for a while, but I came across something and thought this would be the place to ask about it. Does anyone here have experience or know of reviews of the CountyComm Bac Sac? I am looking for a new EDC bag to replace the old laptop case I've been carying (I never actually carry a laptop and truthfully I carry way too much stuff and need to pare down. I like the looks of the bag overall but would be interested to get more info than just their page and their video demo. I don't seem to be able to find any though.

Can anyone help or comment?

Thanks!

2. mahler9

mahler9 Banned

Since it's a brand new product, I don't think anyone has got their hands on one yet.

For the price, I think there's better choices on the market. This thing just looks like a potato sack that you cinch at the top. I'd go for a normal backpack form factor. Lot's of good bags by North Face, 5.11, Maxpedition, and whatnot that would probably be a better fit than this bag.

3. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

There are better bags for the money. I was about to recommend the SERT EDC pack at the forum store for less than ten bucks more and a LOT more bang for the buck, but I just checked and noticed it's sold out. I drug my feet too long on that one, myself. SERT is working on developing a second EDC pack on another thread on this forum that might well be worth waiting for, but I don't know the ETA, if there is one.

Right now a retailer I can't name has an Eagle Molle Crossover pack for a price I can't mention. If you were to google the pack, you would probably find it. Having missed out on the SERT, I'm probably going to go that route (I'm looking for a new laptop bag myself) since I'll likely need a new bag before the new SERT is ready. It's a much bigger bag, though, (EDIT -- I double checked and the size is fairly comparable) so I waffle back and forth between grabbing it obscenely cheap or paying full retail for a 5.11 COVRT 18. I'll probably miss out on the Eagle as well at this rate. I swear by Eagle, if you're not familiar with them. I bought an Eagle assault pack 13 years ago at a PX in Kosovo and have used it extensively without a tear or failure of any kind. If it had a padded laptop compartment and some admin organization I would never need another pack. The Molle Crossover has both. Crud, I think I just talked myself into it.

4. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I didn't realize some manufacturers were taboo here. Thanks for the tips!

5. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

There aren't any taboo brands in this forum, as far as I've seen. Maxpedition supposedly just about came to metaphorical blows with Jon some time before my time, and left a bad taste in a lot of members' mouths, but you still see them mentioned often, their gear pictured often, and it even comes up used in the BST threads. You'll hear some disparaging remarks from members who won't do business with them now, but no one seems to be getting censored by the forum itself. Other manufacturers over time have cut ties with Jon or vice versa, and forum members sometimes become vocal about personally boycotting their gear, but others continue to post pictures and reviews without "disappearing threads." Some of us won't buy Victorinox for that reason, and look at all the SAK threads on the forum! I make frequent purchases from County Comm. I EDC a Maratac AAA light. Several forum members grumble about their shipping, and I'm sure Jon considers them to be in competition with his business, and would prefer if they would allow him to distribute their merchandise, but I've never encountered any torches and pitchforks. A lot of members grumble about County Comm's shipping fees. (Find a fee of any kind anywhere that no one grumbles about, though). I wouldn't worry about brands being "taboo." The forum rules are very straightforward, the moderators very helpful, and the environment for discussion frankly the best I've found online. Don't be afraid of mentioning a brand or asking about a particular piece of gear. That's what we're all here for. As long as you aren't shilling, advertising, deal-spotting, or submitting a sponsored review, you may
    without regard to brand name, as near as I can tell. I hope Soulriot or perhaps cowsmilk or thePlumbah will correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

You can talk about any brand you wish as long as its not your own company.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

The EDCForums has never had an issue with them.
    The only thing I can say, I say from experience(because I've bought from them before as well)...the shioppping is high and customer support ain't high priority. So, in the end, I've decided for myself that I will spen my money elsewhere.
    That being said, many Members here buy from them, and even I will occasionally purchase a proiduct of theirs, secondhand, in the BST Forum.
    YMMV so, live your life :D

Last edited by thePlumbah, Jan 29, 2015
  8. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I don't mind paying a fair shipping charge. However, as an example, I just now checked the price of 100 ft paracord on that site. It happened to be $6.50. The additional shipping charge for just that item (I live in NJ)? $15.00.

thePlumbah likes this.
  9. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

10. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

They have a $15 minimum order, and they nail you on shipping if you don't meet it. That is true. Order more than that, though, and you pay 10 bucks or less for shipping. For me, keeping my order above $15 has never been the problem. I've always been after a light or a widgy in the first place, and they always have some neat little gizmo I feel like I have to add on. Come to think of it, I have quite an assortment of little Countycomm tools, beads, or other doodads kicking around the house that I haven't gotten around to using yet. Why go to County Comm for 550 cord in the first place when there's Amazon? I only go to county comm for their exclusive gear.

Don't get me wrong, either. I'm not a county comm fan boy; I find much of their merchandise overpriced. Their lights and widgies, though, are worth serious consideration, and once you're already paying the flat shipping rate, why then things like titanium sporks, 550 cord, skull beads, etc. tend to stumble their way into the cart. It's clever of them, no doubt.

The first order I placed with them was slow and lacked communication, but those since have been very quickly filled. I have a feeling that maybe they've had to step up their customer service in the past year or so.

Also, since they're located in California, if you order within California you pay the exorbitant sales tax. I think if I lived in CA, I'd buy exclusively from out-of-state companies!

I really can't talk myself into liking that pack, though. The suspension and the laptop pocket all need (EDIT no laptop pocket :frantic: ) needs some padding before I'd find it intriguing, and I don't think they're helping their case by showing it overfilled in most of their pictures.

11. echo victor

I guess I have an issue with a "minimum" shipping cost. Using paracord as an example, stick it in a padded envelope. Total cost: ~$2.50.

I would rather pay the true cost of my shipping, rather than being involved in the socialization, as it were, of shipping costs. These costs are simply revenue generating, IMO. One could make an argument for it ( though not a good one ) if their prices were low, but as you stated, that really isn't the case.

Some time ago I placed an inexpensive order and got whacked on shipping. I sent an email to inquire but never got the courtesy of a response.

No customer should be "forced" into buying more merchandise in order to somehow justify the shipping cost.

MTFatboy likes this.
  12. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I can see why online retailers stick with UPS or FEDEX and ship from their places of business rather than sending employees to the post office, and I can see how this drives up shipping on small orders. What does bother me is how rigidly retailers like county comm are sticking to ground transportation only when it is an incomplete solution. If they invested in some of the newer shipping packages, the ones that often arrange final delivery through USPS, they could ship small orders competitively. County Comm is still better than Sportsmans Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, and countless others for shipping costs, though, and they have the advantage of exclusivity. $21.50 for paracord? Nope, I'll go somewhere else, but either a titanium widgy is worth $25 shipped or it's not worth having. You're not going to find it on Amazon. Frankly, the Ti widgy is worth $25 shipped--I haven't seen many Ti prybars cheaper--and then a 100 ft. roll of paracord is worth another $6.50 if I still want it. My AAA Rev 3 was well worth 40 to me, and then shipping was covered for anything I ordered with it. Anything I'm ordering that isn't exclusive to county comm, I'm not looking there for it in the first place.

13. echo victor

U r correct. I was simply making a point of how inexpensive it should be to send a soft item like paracord. U r correct about the USPS final delivery, and I think that what you pointed out supports my thought that their shipping costs are augmented for revenue generation.

MTFatboy likes this.
  14. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I ordered some stuff from county com a several items were removed from my cart with no reason.I won't be ordering from them again.

15. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

16. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

Okay, so I think you guys helped me decide against this bag. I'm really looking for something smaller anyway. I may have found a new direction to go in. I will do my due dilligence with the search engine here and if I can't find the info I'm looking for I'll start a new thread.

Thanks all!

thekapow and thePlumbah like this.
  17. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    But kinda looks like the most uncomfortable straps in the world :eek: i see where they get their design from, but calling this 'the ultimate edc bag'?

thePlumbah likes this.
  18. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

Country Comm has some of the worst customer service around.If you buy something and it isn't as advertised or simply doesn't work, you are stuck with it.

thekapow, thePlumbah and FL Woods Bum like this.
  19. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

I just bought a Bac-Sac, and it seems like it will be perfect for my intended use, which is replacing/augmenting an REI Flash 18 as a packable travel bag.

The Flash 18 is a very lightweight bag with a cinch top, and only a single small zippered compartment and a water bladder divider for organization.

I find them incredibly useful to throw in my luggage on trips to use for pool bags, laundry bags, or just throwing a few items in that I need to carry around. Since they fold down to nearly nothing, it's an easy add to my travel gear. The size, shape and concept are outstanding.

However, the lack of organization and access becomes a problem if I'm using it more than ultra-casually, as listed above. Actually trying to EDC it for a couple days makes me crazy, and my next alternatives (North Face Animas and Gunnison) are much more structured, really need to be packed flat, and are pretty inflexible about the room inside, which sometimes doesn't work.

The Bac-sac will hopefully work out a lot better as a collapsible, crushable travel throw-in bag that will cover a wide variety of uses, and offer enough access and organization options to make it worth the extra bulk over the Flash 18.

I've only had it for a week, and haven't yet traveled with it, but it seems pretty promising for my specific use. I'll try to update this as I work with the bag a bit.

TiBoy, Finnigan and MTFatboy like this.
  20. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

How do like it now?