1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

County Comm EOD arrived

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jujigatame, Dec 22, 2009.

1. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

The EOD came in today. I'm happy with the quality of the materials and construction, and at $25 I don't know where you're going to get any more for money. Hooks up nicely with my backpack and admin panel. Gonna take it out tomorrow during what will hopefully be the last of my Christmas shopping.

[img width=640 height=566]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/jujigatame/RushEODOP12.jpg[/img]

Yeah, I know, looks a little funky with three pieces in three different colors. The coyote is a nice shade though. Reminds me of what LL Bean used to call British Khaki on some of their stuff.

2. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I have been planning on getting an EOD bag from County Comm for a while now. I have yet to pull the trigger, but hearing reports like this just makes me want one sooner. How did you attach the EOD bag to your pack?

3. silver x0ne

silver x0ne Empty Pockets

4. jujigatame

I wasn't entirely taken with the placement of the attachment points for the strap so I made a change. Had some nice thick stock metal D rings that were just laying in a box and put them to use. Slipped them under the snap straps on the back and threaded the straps under the first PALS channel. Voila - new attachment points.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Benefits so far are...

> keeps the bag a little better set for my taste
    > the few inches offset in height gives a some extra length for adjustment on the strap
    > keeps the shoulder strap out of the way when accessing the top of the bag while wearing it
    > allows for the original D rings to be used as extra places to hook stuff
    > lets you use the original D rings as grip points for when you want to close the zipper and need some opposite direction resistance to get it up and around the corner

The hooks on the strap are nice, updated with a larger opening and metal gate compared to the pictures I've previously seen of the EOD around the web. The strap webbing itself is a good bit thinner than the one on my Jumbo, maybe by as much as half. This also means it's softer and lighter. Still, I wouldn't mind something a bit beefier since I'm very much used to what was on the Jumbo.

Another thing I like is that you can easily open the top by putting your hands/fingers inside a gap in the zipper and just pulling the sides apart. I think that's an easier and more instinctive motion to do in a rush or with gloves on than grabbing and manipulating the zipper pulls.

5. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

I got one of these a long time ago. It's a decent bag for what I paid, but MAN, are the zippers a pain in the rear to open!
    Anybody else notice this or is mine odd?

6. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

I have one and am using it for my Range Master Bag. Am happy with it - a lot of bag for the buck.

I agree on the zipper - wonder why they made them covered?

7. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

I don't know. Mine bind a lot, as if the bag just wasn't sewn quite right. Quality is pretty darn good, and again, for the price, I can't complain.

8. sapro

sapro Empty Pockets

Yup, I have to second the complaint about the zippers. The protective fabric strip really overhangs the full length of the zipper. I found that in order to open and close it easily I have to first bend back the entire strip to expose the zipper. Not real easy to do because it's so stiff. A real pain.

Having said that thought, I really like the bag because of the roominess and the extra attachment points via all the PALS straps.

9. jujigatame

I find that closing the zipper sometimes runs into a snag with the flap, but not really when I open it. Variations between, and perhaps even within, batches could account for how some zippers seem fine and other seem more sticky. All in all, everything's been going fine with my EOD. Got a Barnacle on the outside for now to carry quick grab items. Will be looking at an aftermarket strap with built in padding (as opposed to using the pad from my Jumbo strap) and some little stash pockets to hang on the inside cord loops when needed.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/jujigatame/EOD1.jpg[/img]

10. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

i really like the D ring setup. so are you gonna suspend it from your backpack using clips or what?

i've always been a fan of having a chest pack so you can have stuff on hand without having to stop and pull something out or pack it in your pants/shirt/jacket pockets. maybe suspend it from D rings on your shoulder straps?

11. jujigatame

I've thought about how it might work as a chest pack but would probably want to use a harness/vest setup separate from the backpack for that.

12. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

i'm starting to lean towards the modular pouch system, mix and match for specific use of that trip or adventure, whatever. add more pockets for more storage, and take stuff off if you don't need as much. then have like one main backpack for large storage, and a 2nd one for like EDC use. that's kind of what i want to do for my new work rig, have a grab and go EDC bag that can clip into or strap onto a larger pack, so i can use it for hiking and camping, but not have to re-pack everything into a new backpack.

13. jemhouston
    • +2 Supporter

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

jujigatame, O0 thanks for suggesting the D ring setup. I tried it, only I used a triangle ring instead. It worked better than the side D ring. I'm not entirely happy, so I may try adding another set one or two levels lower to see how that works. Either that or I'll add an external pouch or two to see how that works.

This gives me something else to play with. ;D

If I have enough rings on hand, I may try it on the smaller Countycomm bags.

14. wacbzz

wacbzz Loaded Pockets

This looks like a great bag.

15. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets

What denier are these countycomms??

16. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Great little bag. I used my black one for years on the back of my scooter to carry stuff (attached to a wire basket), and now use it to hold my netbook and accessories.

17. chris in mo

chris in mo Loaded Pockets

Love my EOD. It works perfect for my Netbook! I was carrying it as a grab and go bag for general stuff I carry when out and about but when the netbook came along it became a computer bag. Now it carries netbook and associated stuff along with whatever book I happen to be working my way though at the moment.

18. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I would like to know what they are made out of too. I've been eye-ing the XL version for a shoulder bag. Where are they manufactured, anyone know?

19. jujigatame

I don't know that I've ever seen any specs on exactly what denier they are. As for where the Maratac stuff is made, I think it's Taiwan.

Looked at a few shoulder straps when I was at EMS last week. Mountainsmith had one with good padding but the hooks were a deal breaker. The gates were these very thin little plastic tabs that didn't look like they would hold up too well. I tried another one from Eagle Creek that had all metal hardware and a good amount of padding but it didn't turn out to be quite right either. I find that the sliding pad is pretty much the way to go for me since it can be so easily moved to whatever position is best based on how the bag is positioned at a given time.