1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Counterfeit Streamlight ProTac 2AA? Please Help

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Wishoot, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Hi Everyone,

I just received delivery of a new Streamlight ProTac 2AA from our friends at Amazon I'm wondering if the one I received is legitimate.

While the packaging and markings seem correct, it just doesn't seem to have the same build-quality of my previous Streamlights. The 10-tap function works fine, but there are a couple other areas of concern.

If you have a recent version (250 lumen) of the ProTac 2AA, and your sure it's legit, would it be possible to take a look at the color of the o-ring and the inside of the tail-cap? The o-ring on mine is black. The inside of the tail cap reveals a sliver battery spring and what looks to be a white plastic cap separating the spring from the clicker.

Thank you for your help!

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

That's concerning. Note it could be 'legit'. Many companies visit trade fairs in China and contract with various contract manufacturers. In that sense the product can be 'legit' yet have significant variance in build quality... ultimately the onus is on the owner of the brand name to establish standards and communicate those standards to the contract manufacturer. Too many are not specific enough nor strict enough at dealing with the contract manufacturers.

Pity.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Wishoot likes this.
  3. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

The counterfeit scammers have gotten much better at fooling buyers. Darn near every aspect of the flashlight is spot-on, but there are a couple of subtle things that could possibly hint at a counterfeit. Streamlights website does not provide enough details and pictures to help.

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Well, it's going back to Amazon. I may be way off base here, but I suspect it's not the real deal.

I decided to weigh the light on my reloading scale, which is exceptionally accurate. According to Streamlights specifications, the light should weigh 96gr. Mine weighs in at 78gr. The cheap overall feel to the light doesn't tip the scale in it's favor either.

Maybe this is a fake. Maybe Streamlight changed their specifications and/or build quality. Either way, the light is NOT worth what I paid. I've got a few StylusPro penlights that are the most solid, reliable flashlights I've ever owned. The quality of these lights is apparent from the moment you pick them up. I've got Energizer lights that cost 1/3 of this light and feel better built.

ran23 and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I have several StylusPro as well as several MicroStream. Great lights, great build. Whether it is a fake or whether Streamlight started using a cut rate contractor or whatever... if it isn't up to snuff, it isn't up to snuff!

Pity. Hope this doesn't have portents of the future for Streamlight....

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Wishoot likes this.
  6. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Couldn't agree more. They've made some great products in the past and I'll continue to give them my business. I'm hoping what I received/returned was a counterfeit and not an example of their current quality standards.

7. Jocko Tobling

Jocko Tobling Loaded Pockets

I've been wondering if anything is beyond being counterfeit if someone can make a buck on it!

8. Moshe ben David

Nope.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David