1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Copycats

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by RyanMalpiede, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I was speaking in general terms, not specifically about that particular CRK&T offering.

But that was on me for not being more specific. Sorry about that.

2. shecky

shecky Empty Pockets

A couple points.

Does Atwood even have intellectual property? By that I mean patents, which give him the groundwork for defending his ideas? If not, his intellectual property cannot be stolen, since it's not his to begin with. You can't have something stolen from you if you do not own it in the first place.

Furthermore, the burden of defending his intellectual property, assuming he has IP to defend, is his alone. Not mine. I'm under no obligation to police his work, especially if it goes against my interests.

Nobody ever said running a business would be easy.

3. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

As Shecky said Peter Atwood owns no intellectual property. Either by refusing to protect his work or by refusing to litigate on his protections.

Also free market dynamics are better for the consumer ALWAYS.

Also im shocked no one has created a whine thread about this:
    http://www.pockettoolx.com/piranha-pocket-tool.html

Esp as it is clearly more Atwood inspired and has a good shot at eating into his market share for the niche he currently monopolises.

I mean that tool actually seems better than the majority of his work but the CRKT in the OP seems somewhat flawed to me, lol.

4. Larwyn

Larwyn Loaded Pockets

Yep, another chunk of metal bar with some notches, holes and bevels in/on it. Looks just like an Atwood to me. ;D

5. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

dont get me wrong i love Peter Atwoods work :) but i kinda like this little tool i thank it may be worth taking a look at :-X

6. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

Copy cat or not they did a good job with a nice tool that will only cost 20$ sand its mass produced so it will be more readily available, it looks great and I think that a lot of people are biased assuming that everyone copies atwood but i completely understand.

I really like their 2010 line, it looks great def going to buy the gecko/turtle

7. codewarrior

codewarrior Loaded Pockets

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

8. Pheonix886

Pheonix886 Loaded Pockets

Exactly.

And besides, competition is good for us, the consumer. :popcorn:

9. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

i don't think there's any competition- there is very little overlap between the "tool users" market, and the "functional art collectors" market

10. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

For $20, it's a nice option for people who can't land or afford at Atwood or even the Pirahhna tool. If anything, a tool like this is probably going to help Peter. People may get this, and then want the quality/art of an Atwood and become a fan/buyer of Peter. His stuff sells out instantly, so I don't think he's been hurt by the Shard, Pirahhna, nor will he be hurt by this tool.

11. asmalldharma

asmalldharma Loaded Pockets

Came across this today. It's a collar stay/bottle opener/thread cutter/screwdriver. Yeah, I said collar stay.

[​IMG]

Exuvius collar stays

Did I mention it's titanium?

12. dinlong

dinlong Empty Pockets

13. scottyhop

scottyhop Loaded Pockets

all those copy cat tools just arent as sexy at the atwoods. Its hard enough to buy an atwood so if the mass produced copys can satisfy the transient buyer, then it only makes it easier for the dedicated collector to get his hands on the good stuff

14. bigfatton

bigfatton Loaded Pockets

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

15. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

Also, I own 3 ARs that I've never fired

16. KGB

KGB Loaded Pockets

17. kingshoc

kingshoc Empty Pockets

Looks legit to me

18. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

I really like this idea. However, for me, I'd probably just use some Stainless Steel collar stays, so I could add a little edge to the angled sides, while leaving the rounded tip, so it doesn't go throught the shirt collar.

Besides, the price is a little high. Maybe if they came out with a less expensive steel version, but then I don't know if it would be strong enough as a bottle opener.

I just picked up a combo pack of Stiff Stays (2 pairs of 2.5" & 2 pairs of 2.75"), for $9.99 plus $1.95 for shipping, but I found a Promo Code for a 10% discount, so I think it was an okay buy. Btw, the promo code is "TENOFF".

http://www.stiffstays.com/

Oh, they also have Titanium versions, but they're just collar stays, no multi-pupose functions (unless it was modified).

;-)

19. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

No need to whine, but I do put my money where my mouth is.

I think it's a travesty that that ripoff is being promoted by EDCF, and I won't be buying anything from Jon's store as long as that is the case. Hope that's not a bannable offense, LOL.