1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Copper ID Tag - pict heavy

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by adimag, May 6, 2013.

1. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

Those look great! Being from New Orleans, I love the fleur de lis. This is one reason I have not posted in a while. I have some etching ideas that I want to combine with the the letter stamps. I just have not gotten the ferric chloride yet. Great work!

2. mntnbkr1968

mntnbkr1968 Loaded Pockets

This is outstanding!!!

Question for y'all....

Do you solder the brass and copper? If so how do you keep the solder from going everywhere?
    I frequently end up with silver all over the copper etc

tyia

mntnbkr

3. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

I have started to use solder- it. It is solder and flux mixed together in a syringe. It makes it a little easier to control, but a little harder to make sure you have enough there to make a solid connection. It took me a few tries to get the amount to bond without too much spill over right. I like using it because I do not solder very often and it you can get it to work with a simple jet style lighter.

4. Exodus

Exodus Loaded Pockets

Made a few more :)

[​IMG]

5. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

Finally got around to making another tag. After seeing some of the tags that have been posted here, I wanted to try something different. So, I combined the letter stamps with ferric chloride etching. The back story on this tag is that I am a high school, chemistry, biology AP, and environmental science teacher. Hence, the biohazard tag! Have seen this symbol more times than I can count.

Here is the front.

[​IMG]

Here is the back.

[​IMG]

6. Kuscoot

Kuscoot Loaded Pockets

Very cool! l bet your students love tag making day!

7. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

i have never seen a tag on this thread that was not awesome

8. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

I just picked up some copper rounds to mess around with. What do you guys use most often for etching?

9. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

Ferric chloride also know as pcb etching solution. You can get it from radio shack or any place that sells computer board etching solution. My mother-in-law is an artist, specifically a print maker and gave me a large bottle of iron perchloride crystals that she got from an art supply store. It is the same as ferric chloride solution, you just have to mix it yourself. Just be careful and mix slowly. The reaction generates a lot of heat and can boil over if you try to dissolve too much at one time.

Last edited by adimag, Aug 25, 2013
  10. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

Have not done it with students yet, but this year they are going to make a copper periodic table. Each student will get a copper square to draw whatever they want to represent their element and then we are going to etch the copper and construct the squares into the periodic table. This won't happen for a while, we have to get to that chapter first. But, once it is done, I will post some pictures of their work.

billybag, scbubba and vegassprky like this.
  11. mntnbkr1968

mntnbkr1968 Loaded Pockets

^^^ coolest teacher ever!! ^^^

billybag likes this.
  12. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Seeing all these cool tags on here, I decided to try my own hand at it. I want to make some personalized retirement gifts for a few buddies of mine who are about to retire. This was my first attempt. A little too square, but it's close to what I want. On the back I am going to have inscribed Matthew 5:9
    [​IMG]
    Once I get the patina right, I might try my hand at etching the Master Chief anchor on the next ones.

13. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

That's a great looking tag! And I'll bet you will have some really happy buddies... :D

14. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Finally made one with some heavy copper plate I had. This sucker is 1/8" thick.

[​IMG]

15. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Looks good. Love the Nitro Express case head.

16. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Not really a true tag but they are all copper. 2 car rear view mirror crosses that I made today. And yes I've got time on my hands and try to keep busy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. criticalnate

criticalnate Empty Pockets

I really enjoyed following this thread and after all that lurking I decided to give it a go... I tried to be a little different and this is what I ended up with...

Version One:
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't really happy how this one turned out so I ended up removing the case heads and drilling holes for the eyes and nose area. It is now used to keep sets of keys separated in each eye socket. I need to get a better picture to show off in the morning....

EDIT: Here is "Version One" in its current usage, which turned out pretty handy:
    [​IMG]

Later that day I came up with a more experimental Version Two: [​IMG]

I tried my best to engrave the design into the skull but I could not get it to cut deep enough to be as visible as I wanted, so I filled in the scratched design with ink. After somewhat unsuccessfully attempting to modify the color of the copper I have found that a side effect of the heat was making the ink bulletproof. It hasn't scraped off in the least after being tossed around on my keychain for a few days. I am trying to figure out how to achieve a more patina'd look for my next copper/brass tags.

8/30/13--Edited to add photo.

18. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Very cool. You could etch that design also.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

19. criticalnate

Thank you! I am very interested in copper etching after seeing some wonderful examples in this thread, and was just searching around for ideas. How might a beginner etch copper safely and effectively (and inexpensively)?

20. criticalnate

amacman, how did you achieve this dimpled surface? Did you use a ball peen hammer? Thanks.

thefrank likes this.