1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Coolest thing you have found or dug up?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by brennan73, Dec 4, 2008.

1. brennan73

brennan73 Empty Pockets

So what is it?
    Post up with pics.

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I became interested in metal detecting 20+ years ago and it taught me a lot about paying attention to what's on and under the ground.

While metal detecting, I found gold rings, engagement rings, other jewelry, tokens, pocket knives, compasses, watches, oodles of coins -- some dating from the 1800s. Dog and chauffeur licenses (medallions) from the early 1900s. Civil war era ammunition.

Haven't used the metal detector for some time, but I am still in the habit of paying attention to the ground wherever I am. Just by eye, I've found lots in the last few years: coins, paper money, cell phones, wallets, credit cards, ID cards, tools, complete fishing rods/reels/gear, lighters, license plates, ammunition, key rings and chains w/keys, DVDs, CDs, photos, multitool holster, etc. Most items found during daily walks and bike rides.

3. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

when i was a kid well back in 87 , we were digging a tree out of the backyard , we stumbled across Ranch Stable styled tools , sickles, shackles ,meat hooks , ETC . and in another location was like a glass pile Old Medicine bottles ,Poison( those were kool ,Scull & Crossbones) , exlirs , Wiskey bottles , balsam salve ,ETC i remember the names cause my mother had the on displays for many years , she now has them in storage now , all kinds of colors ambers,greens , dark blues some almost black traslucent , purples , aquas

4. Jeff

Jeff Empty Pockets

When I was a kid, my brother dug up an old cannonball of about four on five inches diameter from our backyard. However, there is no history whatsoever of any military activity in that place.

Jeff

5. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

I found a dagger at a campground once. It looks nice, wooden handle with brass trim. But it's a cheap Pakistani knockoff of someone else's design.

As for the best thing I've found, I'd have to say cash.

6. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Arrowheads on my uncle's farm when I was a boy. It's been years since I've done that, but I would still enjoy it.

7. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

In kindergarten I found a civil war bullet out in the playground, it's sitting in front of me now as a monitor mascot. And in middle school I went diggin at a friends farm and found a neat bottle, I went rifling through my parents basement when I moved out and found it, despite my mom's advise that it's buried with boxes of stuff that haven't been opened since her and dad got married.
    Pics forthcoming I guess.

8. VVR41TH

VVR41TH Empty Pockets

Once when I was canoeing, I found a couple of .50 rounds in the sand on a river bed. I have them sitting around somewhere, all cleaned up...

9. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

Neolithic flint spearhead on the Thames foreshore, underneath which was a fossilised shark tooth. And, although not rare, it was cool to find a 1800 year-old Roman coin in my garden.

10. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

My family home was built on land that once had orchards & a large main house & as a kid I found allsorts of things, crystal glass doorknobs, pottery, cutlery but the coolest was a Gold half-sovereign dated 1885.

11. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

um lets see, one day when my kids were looking around they found a horseshoe, and when i had to dig up to put my pond liner in i found a faucet, the outdoor type, solid brass, with a cross handle and a porcelain cap on top, i was going to make a small waterfall out of it, the horseshoe i have hanging up on the porch for good luck, as my grandfather said, but have had none such,,,lol JR

12. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

I found five logging trucks and trailers dating back to the 1920's or 30's while hiking a some years ago
    when they shut down the logging ops in this area they just parked em and left em they were in prisitne condition windows rolled up
    no vandalism air in the tires like they left them the day before,
    roads are all gone now no way to get them out ..yet, would love to find a way to salvage them
    have not thought of them in years until I read this thread just now

13. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

When I was a kid the house we lived in had been in the family for a few generations. I found an old metal power flask for black powder and an old single shot .22 "pig gun". My parents let me keep the powder flask but the rifle went to someone else in the family. We have no idea who the originally belonged to.

14. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

The coolest thing I ever found was a six-foot tall trident. My brother and I were in a canoe in Newman Lake, Washington and I saw this "odd looking thing" about two feet under the surface of the water. We were in the shallows just goofing around so I reached in as far as I could and grabbed what turned out to be the "end" of the trident where you tie the rope to it. I'm guessing it was for carp hunting. It was one of those "sword in the stone" moments as I pulled this thing out of the lake. To this day I'm still pretty sure it has magical powers. But that's between you and me. ;D

15. peacefuljeffrey

Ninjaclerk, you should try turning someone from mermaid-to-human, or from human-to-mermaid some time. ;D

16. peacefuljeffrey

This wasn't me, it's a story about my cousins.

When they were in their early teens, their Great Dane died. The family buried him in the back yard near the edge of the woods.

My mom told me that some time later, one day, my cousins were out galavanting through the woods, etc., and stopped when they saw what appeared to be a shiny black rock partly embedded in the dirt. They began digging to unearth it, and--you guessed it--it turned out to be part of Baby the Great Dane's hide, all shiny and black from, I guess, decomposition. I'm pretty sure that the story I was told included the fact that my cousins were horrified. Left unsaid is the fact that someone didn't bury the dog at an adequate depth! :rant:

17. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

Hmmmmm....I've always had a thing for mermaids... ;)

18. FinnFreak

FinnFreak Empty Pockets

as a kid i found this old basement,dug in hill,that has collapsed almost totally and as we just started to investigate the ruins,to see if we could make some cool hiding place of it,we stumbled into few 9mm war-time full-auto rifles.wel...we tried to keep those but we couldnt keep our traps shut so my dad stole those and i guess he destroyed those or gave em to cops.later in my life ive discovered some more weapons,sword,brand new 20gb mp3 player,one leatherman,etc.

19. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

When I was in Grade 6, my walk to school took me through a good size field. The subdivision I lived in had of course been farm fields at one time. As I walked along, my foot kicked something up. It looked like a coin, a very dirt encrusted coin. I picked it up and started to rub off the dirt. It took a bit as it was on there good. "Hhhmmmhh, that's odd. The Queen doesn't look like the Queen." Rub some more. "Wow. It's Queen Victoria." What I had found was a dime from 1858. I was to learn later that it was the first year that dimes had been minted in Canada. At the time (this is going back 30 years) it was worth $10. It was pretty beat up, and if it had been in pristine condition would have been worth a lot more. I imagine it isn't worth a whole lot more today, but I really don't care. To me the fact taht I found a dime that a farmer had dropped from his pocket a century or more before was the treasure in and of itself.

20. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Just tonight as I was leaving work at about 10:15pm, I was walking back to my car on the far side of the parking lot from where my studio is (about 2 city blocks.) I was cursing under my breath when I parked there today because it was the only place to park as everyone was doing their last minute panic Christmas shopping, so all parking spots were full. Well, on the way back to my car tonight, I saw something shiny under the melting snow in the empty parking spot next to me. It was a 1887 silver dollar! I can't imagine who would have been carrying something like that around with them and then lose it right there in the parking lot.