1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cooking Stoves in a BOB

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Buford, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Buford

Buford Loaded Pockets

Curious to see how many of you pack a compact/lightweight/hiking type stove in your BOB's and if so which make and model.

2. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Loaded Pockets

3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Yes, half the time here it is cold enough that getting caught out without one could be life/death decision. I carry several.
    [​IMG] Aluminum can alcohol stove.
    [​IMG][​IMG]Pyromid pocket stove that takes solid fuel tablets
    [​IMG]8" backpacking size pyromid that will burn pretty much any kind of fuel.

4. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I actually carry two; a sierra stove, works like a mini forge, and a pocket cooker. Both are solid fuel stoves---no need to carry fuel. I also have a vintage Pyromid stove which is larger.

5. Sargevining

Sargevining Loaded Pockets

I use a Jetboil I've had for a couple of years. 4 minutes from start to boiling water. Piezo start, light weight and reliable. Extra fuel canisters light and reliable as well. Well worth the space and weight.

6. Buford

Buford Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies so far. I had been looking at a stove called the Snow Peak I think. It looks really compact and light.

7. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Honey stove a small base plate and some credit card sized stainless steel sheets,when fixed together it amazing one good handful of pencil sizes twigs & it cooks a meal & provided heat.

One occasion i was in a situ were not able to have a live fire due to the location it was really coming down badly with rain,fixed up a tarp pulled out the honey stove & warm me with hot food,others had all kinds if things by the time they got sorted id eaten and was just sat warming nicely.

One of my fav bits of kit

8. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have a Pocket Cooker, a very nice little stove that is very compact when folded, but quite heavy for its size; an Esbit stove that's also quite heavy for it's size and an Optimus Multi-Fuel that's very light if you don't count the weight of filled fuel bottles. All work quite well, but the Optimus heats the quickest and is the most difficult to set up and is expensive. The Pocket Cooker and Esbit stove are quite inexpensive. The Honey stove mentioned about looks quite interesting, flexible and folds small but they are expensive and I haven't yet found a US vendor.

9. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

The honey stove is great and very adaptable you dont need to take all the parts is shows here ,some or if you want to use with grill or a meth cooker,i just take the basic wood burner kit which is next to nothing and has never failed me come rain or shine.

try these guys im sure they will export and make sure your ok ,one of the best online buying experiences ive had.

I ordered got it the next day with some candy packs throw in and then a follow up call to make sure im happy with it.,worth an email to see if they can assist
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product397.asp?PageID=118

10. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

11. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

I want that alcohol stove from that guy that just recently posted his stove with an extra fuel tank!

12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Looking at it needing to be light, shelf-stable and inexpensive, I ended up with an Esbit folding emergency stove.

13. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

the DIY alcohol stove with aluminium pot is the preferred method for me.

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry a Jetboil PCS. Its in my EDC bag because I need it at work. I get tired of fastfood and like to make my own coffee in the field too. I just ordered this: http://www.planetarydesign.us/products.html?paction=doubleshot

I love the Jetboil! Lightweight for all you get. Compact, too.

As far as food goes. Mountain House in mylar bags, online and at local Dicks Sporting goods. Re use the bags for instant oatmeal. Coleman just add water meals at Walmart are ok, too. Lipton/ Knorr pasta sides are good with a can of chicken breast. Get the cans that have a pop top. The pasta side have to be cooked and that will require washing the Jetboil pot. (Downside) Upside...they're cheap, hot, & filling. And pretty tasty, too.

15. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I carry my trusty old Coleman Apex-II with a 20oz tank and an extra quart of fuel. I've had it for about 18 years and it has never failed me.

16. c.southers

c.southers Loaded Pockets

2nd the esbit folding stove light and does not take up much room

17. HybridMomentsPass

I'll be buying one soon for my new-to-me bag/BOB
    they fold up so small and contain the fuel inside, it seems like an easy choice
    Also, they are cheap - 12 bucks at a local store (REI etc), or cheaper online (bepreparedtosurvive etc)

18. Windex

Windex Loaded Pockets

19. Liveitloud

Liveitloud Loaded Pockets

For light and compact I carry an Esbit that takes fuel tablets and for an all around great stove that will take the trangia or wood the Emberlit. Love this thing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Emberlit breaks down into separate pieces that will fit in a zip lock bag. Very small in a pack. It has replaced all of my other stoves and is really high quality. I keep the emberlit, small fuel bottle, fat wood and trangia all in a small REI bag. Perfect kit! I like the fact that it works equally as well with either alcohol or wood.

[​IMG]

Emberlit in action by the maker, a real good guy btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZwIWj2i2d9w

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

The little square Esbit folding stove is excellent. Keep in mind though, it really is best as an emergency stove.

On a more regular outdoor use basis, I have the G.I. canteen stove from Canteenshop.com

Fits on the bottom of a standard G.I. canteen along with a folding canteen cup. Makes a decent stove. Especially since, unlike the Esbit, you can use regular tinder for it.