1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Convince me to buy a sony nex 5n or 5r

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by bud760, Apr 19, 2013.

1. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

As the title says I'm looking to upgrade my photo equipment from my little sony point and shoot and camera phone. Not really wanting a full dslr. Been researching the nex5n then the 5r comes out. I want something I can change the lens. Open to suggestions.

2. Travis Branch

Travis Branch Loaded Pockets

It is a step up from point and shoot. I have DSLR and wish I had waited about a year when these compact lens changers started to come out. I personally think the Olympus (can't remember the model) is of better quality than the Sony's. Just my honest opinion though.

3. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have the 5N and love it. Small, takes great pics.

bigfoot and bud760 like this.
  4. villaphoto

villaphoto Loaded Pockets

I've heard great things from the Sony, but I feel myself leaning towards the Fuji line. That new x100s is looking nicer and nicer everyday.

5. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

is the fuji line small/lighter than a full dslr too?

6. villaphoto

villaphoto Loaded Pockets

It sits more like a classic Leica M would, fairly small, but not nearly as small as the Sonys are. The Sony almost seems too small in my hands compared to the Fujis.

7. thaeffman

thaeffman Loaded Pockets

The sony nex5 series is a great cameras for beginners. It has a whole host of features for advanced users but is usable enough for people who want the camera to do the work for them.The overall package is sleek and slim and Sony's electronic view finder is the best in the business. Plus with the short flange distance you can buy a myriad of adapters and use other companies lenses, anything from canon ef to old screw type lenses from the 60s. autofocus usually wont work this way but the sony cameras have a peaking mode which highlights areas in focus. The sensor is a an aps-c like the ones found on entry level dslrs and the image samples ive seen look great. All of this is coming from an olympus omd user, I love my omd but frankly you cant go wrong with any of the mirrorless interchangeable systems. The sony nex series I feel is a bit more friendly for new enthusiasts. The fuji is more for hardcore photo buffs and the micro 4/3 cameras with their smaller sensors and bodies are more for people who want a small overall form factor. They all shoot well and the differences are more so in first party lens options and form factors than in the features and image quality.

ps on the topic of lenses micro four thirds has more lenses and cheaper lenses but the sony and fuji have greatly improved as since their in inception. But if you plan on using the kit lens that might not matter to you at all.

bud760 likes this.
  8. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Yes, much smaller, similar in size to a Leica rangefinder, or an old early 1980s film SLR (not sure on the weight though)
    The leica M series look nice and small and light - they are actually pretty heavy (comparable to a entry level dslr) due to the brass top and bottom plates.
    They do feel very nice though, like a quality tool (the new M typ240 is on my wishlist)

bud760 and villaphoto like this.