1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Convert belt loop to belt clip

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Tripp Hazzard, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Tripp Hazzard

Tripp Hazzard Loaded Pockets

First, if this is the wrong place, please move it and let me know! :)

I found the previous thread on the same subject, but it died back in '07.

I have an Everest water bottle carrier that currently has a belt loop (1.5" webbing, loop is about 2.5" high) that I want to convert to a belt clip or add a belt clip. I want to carry it on my left because my EDC bag is on my right, but that's the buckle side of how I wear my belt. And I don't want to have to pull my belt 3/4's off to place/remove the carrier.

So any suggestions for an add-on to make it a belt clip? I'm open to both a removable adapter and a permanent addition mounted on/in the loop.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I would put a metal keyring on the loop and then put a LuckyLine <?> metal clip on your belt. You won't actually have a clip on the loop but you can still take it on and off the belt easily, attaching the keyring to the LuckyLine clip.

3. Tripp Hazzard

I've considered something like that (with a large D ring), but I'm hoping someone knows of something that'll reduce the "floppyness" when it's on my belt.

Thank you for the suggestion, though!

4. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

If it's a long water bottle maybe a fishnet tied at the top and bottom to your leg might
    stop it from flopping. Or maybe you should wear it on a sling.

5. Tripp Hazzard

Also excellent suggestions.

More detail:

It's the carrier that comes with the Everest bottles, with their name on it. Fabric, some insulation, drawstring top. This one. I use it with a 1 liter commercial bottle

I've just started EDCing water. I already carry a small shoulder bag, slung across my body on my right side, so I'd rather not have another strap hanging the other way. It has the webbing belt loop I described, if I could add a belt clip I could hang it on my belt while walking, pop it off in the car, movie theatre, etc.

I'm going to hit craft stores, Tandy Leather, and cell phone accessory shops this weekend. I'll let y'all know what I find.

6. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

I have been looking to do something very similar with some other items. I am still looking around but I found some useful items at www.theclip.com

Another option would be to get some velcro and convert the existing loop to one with a double velcro closure as used on camera bags, etc.

7. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Are you looking for a quick detach belt loop or can you live with a more solid, but a bigger :censored: to open, clip type thingy? If the latter, possibly you could attach some MALICE clips with a good cement, or something along those lines. Dunno, just a thought.

8. Tripp Hazzard

Well, local stores were a bust.

But that "instaclip" at theclip.com looks like exactly what I want. Thanks for the link!

9. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

No problem. I'd be very interested to hear how it works out. :cheers:

10. Tripp Hazzard

It'll be a week or so before I order it, but I will post.

11. Atrain

Atrain Empty Pockets

My dad is one to use what he has as Mcgyver always did. He has wanted a clip for something that he had already and tried to figure out what he could use for a clip instead of driving to Wichita to buy a clip from Tandy/Leather factory store. He looked around and what do you think he found? Just on an everyday Item everybody probly has at home a tape measure has a clip on it and it will work just fine. Take it off and either use a small bolt and washer or a rivet from Tandy used for leather he has used 2 of these now on different items.

This might work for what you are wanting and if you want to kepp it from swinging get you a 1/4 inch grommet kit and but 2 grommets in it and tie it to your leg like a holster.

Atrain