1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Considering the Kizer Cutlery KI4403

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mike Prettyman, May 5, 2014.

1. Mike Prettyman

Mike Prettyman Loaded Pockets

Hello. I admit that I buy a lot of items through eBay. Knives, flashlights, batteries, chargers, you pretty much name it and I have made an eBay purchase for it.

In any case, I was crawling around the other night and came across the Kizer KI4403. Now I've never owned a Kizer, much less this model. The ad says that the knife has black G10 handles with a titanium framelock. The blade steel is CPM-S35VN.

I have been looking round various vendors and I do see (China) after the description. I know that CPM-S35VN is a Crucible steel, made in the United States, so I am guessing the knife is assembled in China.

All that being said, do any of you have any knowledge of this company? Even better, have any of you owned or at least seen this knife?

Thank you so much in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Mike P.

2. Samuel Sturm

Samuel Sturm Loaded Pockets

Kizer is a new name in the knife world, and is considered to be a promising up-and-comer. There is some noise about them stealing designs, but I haven't seen any proof that that has been done yet. Don't think they're allowing anyone to claim basic shapes yet. ;)

The only Kizer I've handled is the Ki3404A, which seemed very well made to me. S35VN is a relatively new steel, and shows some promise for "normal" use.(Or at least what I understand normal use to be. I'm given to understand that I'm a bit of an edge case. ;)) I will note that the clip on the Ki3404A that I handled dug into my hand horribly in use, but not all of their knifes use that clip, and the attachment point looks pretty universal. Other than that, I liked the knife. Reminded me of a Cyro, but meant for heavier work.

Also, just because a knife company is from China doesn't mean it's bad. We can talk plenty of bad about every country's products, if we wanted to. China may have made some bad blades at times, but they also designed and made the Jian and the Liuyedao. One of my favorite camping tools, the Etoh Machete, comes from backwoods Thailand, not an area known to most as a place for good blades.

Overall? Go for it! If you don't like it, there's always the B-S-T, store returns, and Ebay!

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The pocket clip..... YIKES. :eek:

Materials sound fine, the knife just strikes me as a tad uninspired.

Maybe not stolen designs, but when you rapidly scroll through their offerings in Amazon's listview it's easy to see what might be bothering some people.

ATB,
    Sam

4. Samuel Sturm

Samuel Sturm Loaded Pockets

Yeah, at least in my hand that design of clip digs into my hand quite painfully when I'm gripping firmly. Clips are easy to change out or modify, though. I wouldn't let an otherwise great knife with a minor problem completely stop me. Whether or not these are that great is a very personal thing. Just like all knifes, one man's :censored: is another man's priceless jewel. Some like Sebenzas, for example. :p

Me personally, I'm waiting on the Ki5414A1 to come out. Looks like a nice piece for when I want to go with a heavy folder.

5. payton206

payton206 Loaded Pockets

I have the knife posted in the video above. I was pretty skeptical but I must admit it's a :censored: fine knife in terms of fit and finish, especially since I paid under $100. It's also quite light (yet sturdy) for a blade over 3.5 inches. I haven't cut too much to comment on edge retention but it was sharp out of the box. Using the thumbstud the blade rockets out, lock-up is early and solid. Blade is easy to center by adjusting the pivot. I did flatten the clip out a bit.

The blade grind is something to behold. Flat near the tip but high hollow on the cutting edge.

[​IMG]

Mike Prettyman likes this.
  6. zephyr11

zephyr11 Loaded Pockets

^^^^^^^^

this one is wicked!

this is what i got from them, risked a little, got something that was a tad pricey, but from all accounts, it is MORE then worth what i will be paying.

http://edcforums.com/threads/kizer-knives-ki401b1.120394/

i think from the pictures, you will get a better understanding for quality. Flips SOLID, once broken in, on washers, not bearings.

as for edge retention, i don't get to use it much as i usually only carry something under 3". whereas this is right at 3.5".

but it does have TIP-UP carry, which is something new, they have listened to customers requests and started with this.

problem i DO have is that the torx are all locktite, i can't seem to open ANY ONE of them, enough after using a hairdryer blowing at them for a minute or two. and also the pivot bolt, i can't find any tool that can fit into it. flat screwdrivers if they are wide enough, then they are too fat (thick). was to re-lube everything, feel it could be smoother.

so that's all i got for you.

they ARE quite very value for money.

;)

7. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I definitely do see some designs that seem to take inspiration from other makers. One looks very close to the 0560, another much like a Fehrman Peacemaker, and one that is close to the Benchmade Axis Flipper. Nothing identical, though.

This said, Enlan knives seem to rip off designs to an even greater extent and I've heard a TON of praise for them.

Just sayin'.

As long as they aren't selling direct copies, I don't take any issue with them borrowing design ideas and giving them a different spin. There may be billions of different knife designs out there just waiting to happen, but to some extent the number of knife designs that can be implemented into folders must be finite. I think there's room for knives to be similar to each other as long as companies aren't ripping each other off completely.

8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

To the best of my knowledge Enlan is one of the production companies for Spyderco and other "name brand" manufacturers and have received the applicable permissions.

ATB,
    Sam

9. Mike Prettyman

Mike Prettyman Loaded Pockets

Thank you so much for your input. An excellent point was made to not necessarily fault the company simply for being Chinese. I think I may actually get one of these. My only 'larger' folder at this time is a Kershaw 1930ST. It's blade is Chinese 8CR13MOV which of course is substantially less than CPM-S35VN. However, I feel you'd be hard-pressed to find a better knife for the $17 and change that was paid for the Kershaw!

Thank you again for all your feedback on this one.

Mike P.