1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Confession: I EDC a Hobo Knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by post tenebras, Aug 21, 2021.

1. post tenebras

post tenebras Loaded Pockets

I'm a full-grown professional who has never lacked for eating utensils; nevertheless, a hobo knife has driven all others out of my normal rotation.

This is a recent development. The pandemic imbued me with a heightened awareness of infection control resulting in a desire to avoid eating with my fingers whenever possible. I used to be a normal person who ate fruit hand-to-mouth, but now I cut it up and spear the pieces, untouched by human hands.

Then, late one night, I embarrassingly impulse bought a cheap Chinese FURY MUSTANG NOBILITY! two-piece hobo knife (for twelve bucks you would be hard pressed to find a more regal and high horse-powered product name). I took it on a road trip and fell in love with the form factor, forking fast-food fries like a fastidious fool with my foully fitted and finished friend.

Being an EDC nerd, I commenced the quest to replace the pakkawood and pot metal FURY MUSTANG NOBILITY! with a higher-quality two-piece hobo. I liked the minimalist design and had no desire to add unnecessary bulk with a spoon (I'm looking at you, heavy half-pound, 1" thick Case Hobo) or a corkscrew (I'm not in the Swiss Army). I came *this* close to ordering the delightful A.G. Russell Boxcar Jack, but I balked at spending $80+ to support another Red Chinese manufacturer.

Ultimately, I selected a Friedrich Hartkopf "PickNick" knife from the family business that has been making cutting tools in Solingen, Germany, since 1890. The blade is hand-forged 1.4034 stainless steel. The fork looks like a golf divot tool (this two-pronged design is the century-old standard across all German hobo knives). The handle scales are stag horn. It also has a nice locking feature: closing the fork secures the two halves together; thus, unlike the FURY MUSTANG NOBILITY!, it will not separate unless I want it to. The fit and finish is pretty good, not great, and the blade was quite dull out of the box.

EDC'ing a hobo knife is a bit silly because telecommuting is my new normal, and my weekly average number of opportunities to eat outside of home has dropped from seven to one. Nevertheless, I am well-pleased with my "PickNick" knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

microbe, HarryD, kukla and 3 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

That's a nice knife. I thought about getting something like that myself, a couple of times. But with a spoon. For now, I just bring a spoon to work as I always carry a knife anyway.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

3. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I have a (similar but much more mundane) Kabar picnic’er which is a welcome addition to ventures into the desert, and assorted camping trips, but otherwise not an EDC for me. I like it very much, but for it’s most well suited purpose. OP’s is…how you say….a beautiful piece.

4. InLine4

InLine4 Loaded Pockets

I just went all out and I keep it in my pack.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryD and post tenebras like this.
  5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I went through a hobo knife phase. Then I discovered the Light My Fire titanium fork/spoon combo. Now I use the heavier County Comm version.
    [​IMG]

heck333 and post tenebras like this.
  6. NotYetOld

NotYetOld Empty Pockets

I buy a large pack of wooden chopsticks from one of the local oriental stores. I have become quite proficient with them over the years. They can be used for several things besides eating, are cheap, disposable, and I don't have to worry about cleaning them after use. I always carry several with me in my work/lunch bag.

jackknife and heck333 like this.
  7. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Good call.

I take a “brick” of disposable chopsticks with me when I travel to a country which customarily dines with ‘sticks, as the local hygiene aspect of them isn’t typically up to my (most Americans’) standards in say Vietnam, etc.

I also take palm-frond based, one-time use, soup spoons for the same reason. Although we’ve found that locally spoons are non-porous, stainless steel or ceramic/melmaline and less vulnerable to the poorish washing standards as the community-use bamboo’sticks you often find in SE Asia.

We have been admired by other westerners we’ve met and dined with overseas for having these (we share, carrying half a dozen fresh pairs each day in our daypacks) and the locals don’t really seem to take offense. The palm spoons are found on Amazon, although some won’t ship into California for some who-knows-why reason, except that California is California.

NotYetOld likes this.