1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Condor Elite Titan vs. Kelty Map 3500

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by mlm2588, Jul 6, 2016.

1. mlm2588

mlm2588 Empty Pockets

Looking for experiences with these two packs.

Currently looking for a versatile go bag to replace the various packs I currently own that are geared towards specific roles. Im looking to replace: the various mil surplus packs (Italian mountain, Alice, ilbe), cheapy hunting packs, a Merrell top loader, gym bags, work laptop messenger, old college EDC, and cheap knock off of a few maxpeditions. I want to replace them all. I want to only have three bags instead of the 8+ I currently have.

The roles these two packs will play is:
    Weekend traveler - mainly visiting and staying with family.
    Carry on - for longer traveling both local and beyond.
    Hiking pack - this should fulfill both a simple woods scout/ property maintenance trips, 1-3 days.
    General EDC - should fit a 15"-17" laptop, tablet, change of clothes and footwear for gym.
    Hunting pack - I mainly hunt white tail, turkey, small game. These are normally dawn to dusk hunts fairly close to the car where my walk is only 2-3 mile hikes one way. I have gone on hunts that are farther away where I'll hike in the day before with a planned overnight leading in to the hunt.

I may later on end up with both because for some reason I always find myself researching buying bags but for right now my intent is this will be my go to bag to end the hunt. I'm literally on the fence on both these packs; both seem perfect for what I'm looking for.

The one has the tactical versatility of being able to expand the exterior of the pack and break gear up in to kits for hikes (I.e. first aide kit, fire kit, etc). I love the different pockets. Afraid it may turn heads when traveling, nor do I want to portray that I'm something I'm not which is military.
    The other has the Grey man look, which is nice for when I travel it won't turn many heads.

Aside from these packs, I am open to any suggestions you may have that are similar to these packs but I have researched many different packs. I'm really fond of the TAD Fast Pack EDC (if only they existed), Tenzing TZ 2220, and Direct Action Dragon Egg & Ghost. For nit picky reasons I weeded them out.

Thanks in advance for your participation. My goal is to hopefully stop the never ending pack search to fit in to my lifestyle. Your experiences on these two packs and how they fit in to your lifestyle will hopefully tip the scale for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I don't have any experience with the Condor (although it looks like a nice, capable pack), so I can't comment on it. As for the MAP 3500, it's one of my favorite packs. It will easily handle all of the roles you've listed, plus some, and in my experience do it comfortably and reliably. I like the MAP 3500 enough that I bought a 2nd one a few months back. Mine has primarily been used for overnight/weekend travel.

Given that the price is equal, it really comes down to your preference. Personally, I can recommend the Kelty without any reservations.

3. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

No experience with Condor (nor any desire to acquaint myself).
    I have a slightly older commercial focused version of the Kelty, the Redwing. Mine is too large to be a legitimate aircraft carry on due to the frame sheet. I also dislike the pocket organization.

I am on my third trip with a recently purchased Vertx Gammut Plus that seems to be close to what you were seeking. I really like the ability to swap out Velcro backed organizers and the Gammut works well.

Key question is what volume do you need?

4. mlm2588

mlm2588 Empty Pockets

I'm looking for a larger EDC 35-45 liters.

Thanks for both of your replies. I am leaning towards the MAP just for a more subdued look, less noticeable in public. And I really like the Vertx Gammut Plus, never looked in to that pack, seems like it's a really nice cross between the tactical and grey man applications.

This post may cost me more money than I intended

twin63 likes this.
  5. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

The Map is a great pack. I haven't had any experience with the Condor pack, but I have purchased some Condor gear over the years that was hit and miss. I've owned/own a number of Kelty packs, the Map, Falcon, Peregrine, Raven, and Redwing 50. All of them have been well worth the price I paid.

twin63 likes this.
  6. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

The MAP is my favorite 3 days pack. It's not a bag full of options, not a lot of pockets, not a lot of organization possibility, nothing really special about it. It's in fact more a camping/trekking bag. Very simple but efficient bag.

What I like:
    - does not look too military
    - very comfortable even fully loaded
    - ajustable bottle holders
    - fleece lined pocket for glasses
    - admin pouch well organized
    - quite good water resistance

I wish it had a couple molle loops however.

7. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

I've owned both at some point. Didn't like the harness or the organization on the Kelty.

Didn't like the small side pouches on the Condor. The Condor could've used taller and/or elastic side pouches to hold a water bottle and it would've nearly been an awesome pack. Good materials (YKK, 500d Cordura, blah blah), nice padded waist belt and solid construction.

8. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Place all your rocks on the ground as I say this. This is only my opinion. I have had a couple of small things made by condor and they were junk. I have carried a MAP 3500 as an EOD tech and they were navy issue.

Do you want a wright flyer or a super hornet.

9. mlm2588

mlm2588 Empty Pockets

Recently got the Condor Elite Titan everyone. I will agree with the majority of comments regarding condor equipment. The only thing I've held on to is my rip away first aid kit, I like the layout.

BUT this Condor Elite Titan definitely lives up to the Elite name. It is far superior to what we have all known. I'm by no means a reviewer and don't have extensive experience with a huge variety of packs, but my initial impressions are that it's going to fulfill my outdoor needs and hold up very well.

This is me just loading this pack up with everything I could possibly need for a weekend camp and to much of what I don't need. Went on a short one mile walk with it and it road well.
    [​IMG]

This was taken on its first hard hike day. Went out to some property I hunt on to check cameras, throw feed, and do some maintenance on some shooting lanes for the upcoming archery season. Had this pack on for over 6 hrs of hiking. Can't praise this pack enough on comfort. I have a Deuter Act 65 for week long+ hikes that is extremely comfortable. The Elite Titan is the first pack of its size that I'm not afraid to load up to max capacity; the hip belt does its job very well.
    [​IMG]

This is just a patch I put on it that's pretty special. Perfect patch for me.
    [​IMG]

As I said, I'm by no means a reviewer not even going to try. But in the upcoming months I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the woods and traveling so I'm going to be posting pictures and comments. Hopefully it'll give everyone an idea of practical/ common uses for this pack in the applications I'll be using it. Mainly hiking, camping, scouting, woods maintenance, hunting, and a basic go bag for travelling. If anything happens to the pack I'll post those too. My impressions are it should hold up well, I'm not going to be torture testing this thing but it will see a lot of hard use in thick wooded areas where I hunt. Updates to come.

I still might pick up the Kelty MAP 3500 pack to serve more of my traveling go bag type needs. The Titan is a little to tactical for my taste so I'd like something more subdued and grey man. But I am going to give the Titan a fair shot in all roles before getting a MAP.

If anyone has a Kelty MAP pack they use on a regular week to week basis as their go to bag I invite you to do the same. Take pictures on how your using it. I think it looks like a great pack and am very interested in it still.

343KD and twin63 like this.
  10. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Glad you like your new pack. The stitching looks pretty good in the close-up of the patch. Looking forward to updates.

11. pieceofwork

pieceofwork Loaded Pockets

The shoulder straps on the Kelty MAP are very (very) close together where they attach to the pack. I had to return mine because this made it unwearable for me. It bothered my traps within minutes with very little weight in it.

Having said that, the rest of the pack was well built and it can pass for a civilian pack without drawing attention.