1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Conceiled Carry Gun - Ruger SR9C

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by olletsocmit, Jun 14, 2013.

1. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

I picked up a Ruger SR9C a month back for a gun to carry every day. I am starting to find that it feels to heavy and is soo uncomfortable. Is this a big gun to conceil carry daily? Should I go with a smaller single stack? I got this thinking I could carry everyday and also shoot at the range all the time. I want a CC gun that I can shoot a lot.

My 2nd thought is that could it be fine and maybe I just need a better holster?? I just have a universal holster for it now that I carry inside my pants on my right hip. Should I get a Glaco or crossbreed? Or... Should I just sell now and take the loss in $ and go smaller.

Here is a link to info: http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9c/index.html?r=y

Do you guys carry a smaller or bigger gun daily??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |

2. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

Definitely need a better holster! Makes all the difference in the world. No adjusting, and feeling uncomfortable all day long is what you are after, and you won't get that from some universal cheapy.

3. Schapendoes

Schapendoes Loaded Pockets

100% agree, a cheap holster is good for going to the range or as a short term solution but find one that works for you. You don't have to spend $75+ on one but a holster/beltcombo can make all the difference. You also might want to try a different carry location, try anything from 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

4. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I have had good holsters and junk holsters. The junk holsters don't hold a candle to the good ones. I have also found that a sturdy gun holster belt helps.

Goose

5. Ross Thompson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ross Thompson Loaded Pockets

One of my handguns that gets a turn is a Para Black Ops P14-45, double stack 1911. It's a brick, but awesome to shoot. Get a good holster and a good belt. A good holster is just as bad as a junk holster hanging on a $15 Walmart belt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

6. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

If you don't want to go crossbreed, go check out foxx holsters. they make a "hybrid" holster, that is similar to a crosbreed supertuck, but is cheaper. I have also seen and read good reviews on the foxx hybrid.

7. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

I carry the SR9c almost daily, I love it. I use an IWB tuckable holster. My holster is similar to a crossbreed. A local holster maker made it for me. I have been able to carry this gun inside jeans, cargo shorts and dress pants. I love the ease of carry, but when I come home, I can change out the magazine for the 17 round magazine and have a great home defense pistol. Going smaller puts you in the LC9 category. I also have that gun. The LC9 is very easy to carry, but is not very easy to shoot. I agree that the gun you have with you is better then the gun you leave at home, but I think the SR9c is a much better balance of carry and shoot, then the LC9. I think the gun is worth risking the investment of a high quality holster.

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like my Crossbreed. Also worth mentioning: Lifetime warranty. I have been wearing it for a couple of years and a belt clip was wearing out so I went online to buy more and saw the warranty. Emailed and they sent a whole set for free:D Sweet.

9. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

I've spent a lot of time carrying a full size Xdm in a crossbreed holster and it is very manageable. Besides a holster a good belt makes a world of difference even with a small gun and pocket carry. I carry an Springfield emp with a steel frame and almost forget its there most days. I know there are a number of crossbreed style holsters out the from good companies. Try one I'm sure you'll find it far more comfortable then what your using now.
    [​IMG]

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I have a SR9c and a Kel Tec PF9. The PF9 is easier to concelle but I'd much rather carry/shoot the SR9c. I use an Uncle Mikes IWB holster and never had an issue. And like Keeper said, as soon as I get home, I swap out the 10 rounder and carry the 17 rounder. I don't use the finger exteension on my magazines though. Makes it harder to concelle. Like others said, get a better holster..

11. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

eh sr9c is a great gun, but i would CC it due to its size. I like CCing smaller guns like the LCP or LC9 would be another good option for a thin, smaller gun.
    just my opinion.
    that said - the sr9c shoots great! nice pistol!

12. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

Holster and belt. The SR9c is extremely easy to conceal with a decent system.

Equally importantly, if you ever have to shoot to live... What do you want to be holding? The SR9c is a vastly superior weapon to a pocket 380.

13. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

Thanks for all the great posts guys I am going to order a Crossbreed tonight! Anyone else have pics of their crossbreeds?

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

I just ordered one... It says it will take a min of 8 weeks to ship!! What?? Really take that long??

15. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Loaded Pockets

To directly answer your questions:

-I have historically carried nothing but pistols/revolvers larger and heavier than yours.

-Unless you are dissatisfied with the pistol itself, I think keeping it and investing in a better holster and/or belt would be a wiser investment.

-The position in which you carry should also be evaluated.

I routinely CCW a full-sized Colt 1911 with mounted SureFire X300 light in a Raven Concealment Phantom IWB holster. Two reloads OWB on the opposite hip. Most of the time, I use a Columbia Sportswear leather belt.
    [​IMG]

My first CCW was a Springfield Armory 'service' (4" barreled) XD9. From there, I moved to a Sig Sauer P220R in .45 ACP. I then carried a Commander-sized (4.25" barrel, full-sized grip) Smith & Wesson 1911 with a scandium frame. After a low-light/no-light shooting course revealed the scandium .45 to be borderline uncontrollable, I transitioned to the Colt/X300 pictured above.

Right now, the .45 is out being refinished (my sweat rusts the stainless steel because I'm a mutant or something), so I'm CCW'ing my Glock 19 in a G-Code Incog holster. Same belt. One reload OWB on reaction-side hip. I have also, on occasion, CCW'ed my 4" barreled Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum revolver. Ironically, a salesman showed me a GP100--while I was wearing mine--and told me that they were fantastic range or trail guns, but were 'too big' to carry concealed.

The holster, belt, and physique of the carrier play just as much in the comfort of carrying concealed. I'm 6'5" and slender. I carry at the 3:00-4:00 position. The location in which you carry is also important. If you're carrying SOB or something and you have a job that entails a lot of sitting or driving, I think you'll need to re-evaluate your carry position. While I personally have not taken the plunge in attempting to carry in the 'appendix' IWB position, it may be worth looking into, so long as your holster is compatible with this method of carry.

Finally, how are you carrying your spare magazine(s)? Are you carrying spare mags? If so, how? I find that the reload(s) help 'balance' out the weight of some heavier pistols, like my 1911/X300. This may be something to consider as well.

16. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

IMO, don't wait that long for a Crossbreed. Check out every local gun or outdoors store you can, and get something that you can try immediately. Failing that, shop around online and find something that won't take as long. There are a huge number of holster makers that make that style of holster, there are also companies like Galco (and many others) that make high quality holsters that you can get much faster. Don't get too locked in to one brand, shop around. Also, like others said, move the gun around on your body to find the most comfortable spot, then find a good holster that works with that spot.

If all of that fails, then I would suggest moving to a smaller gun.

Schapendoes likes this.
  17. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

If you're a lefty, I have an IWB sr9c holster in my BST thread...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

18. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

I am right handed. I called today an they said yea, 8 weeks till ship. So so annoying. When I spent $103 shipped on it!! I have this crap $10 holster till then

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ross Thompson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ross Thompson Loaded Pockets

The last holster I ordered (still haven't received it) the quoted lead time was 20 weeks. All good things come to those who wait.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

20. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, ever since the gun run kicked off after Newtown, anything related to guns is harder to get. Even the guy who makes mine custom went from a two week lead to cutting off orders completely for a couple of months to catch up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2