1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Concealment in Dress Attire

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ModrnDayMcGyver, May 9, 2013.

1. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

I have recently had to start wearing a button down with slacks to work everyday. This poses a problem for me in terms of conceal ability. For those of you in similar situations, how do you conceal your firearm?

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I used to use an ankle holster under dress pants, and briefcase when in a skirt.

Sent by Owl Post

Fukurai and SAKplumber like this.
  3. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

Get a IWB holster that allows you to tuck in your shirt between the holster and your pants. I carry a Beretta Nano in a DeSantis Pocket-Tuk and it disappears even when I'm wearing slacks with my shirt tucked in. A shirt with patterns also helps break up the outline of the gun.

Fukurai and keeper like this.
  4. thooks

thooks Empty Pockets

Fat guys (not calling you one) don't do well with tuckable holsters. I won't even think of trying one.

Next choice for 'dress' wear is an ankle holster with a KelTec P3AT or PF-9 or a Kahr. Don't even think about anything bigger. I tried a Glock 26. It is similar to duct-taping a brick to your ankle. You don't even notice the P3AT. I haven't tried my PF-9, but I assume it a little more noticeable as far as weight. Size probably wouldn't be an issue.

Other than that, a man purse if needed or a briefcase. Or pocket carry a P3AT. Desantis makes a darn good pocket holster.

When I say P3AT, that or the Ruger/etc copies would apply...

5. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I'm a fat guy, and my Pocket-Tuk IWB is very comfortable. It's not a hybrid Kydex/Leather though. I have honestly forgotten that I am carrying my Nano at times with the Pocket-Tuk. YMMV.

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

I would vote ankle holster, up to a Glock 19. I've never considered a tuckable IWB, but that is because I have other options.

7. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Dress attire is the easiest to conceal in, IMO. My glock 19 goes in a crossbreed supertuck. Tuck in a tshirt over it (pro tip: if you tuck the shirt between the barrel/frame and the holster leather, it holds the shirt in place), then the dress shirt goes over that.

It's very helpful to wear dark colored shirts. They don't show through, and they hide printing much better.

ac7ss and ChrisJ like this.
  8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

This, only when I wear a white button down I wear a white tank tee over it too. I dislike the possibility that a big black thing under my shirt will be noticed. Just be sure to tuck the Tank over it too:) 2 layers of material will also keep the tritium sights from glowing through when the lights go out:)

Fukurai, scbubba and keeper like this.
  9. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

I have a tuckable IWB for my SR9c, works great. Would you look out of place with a sport coat? You could wear a sport coat, if you need to keep it casual, skip the tie. With a sport coat you could use a shoulder holster. Sometimes if you wear a sport coat you can get away with a polo shirt under it, instead of a buttondown.

10. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

FWIW, an IWB holster will typically work better with a sport jacket vs. a shoulder holster. Works peachy. Depending on how long the jacket is many OWB holsters work fine too.

Note there are more casual sports jackets so you don't appear over-dressed.

Heat can cause you to be uncomfortable, but that's how it goes.

-john

keeper likes this.
  11. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

SmartCarry

12. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

Wearing tucked is tough. I'm a small guy and I wear a tuckable HBE holster that is thin and has an offset clip. I tried carrying a 1911 tucked but it looked like I had an ostomy bag under my shirt. I downsized to a sig 938 and with the HBE carefully tucked and the shirt bloused lightly at the waist, it's all but invisible worn at 4 to 5:00. I sometimes pocket carry a j frame in a PCS holster. This works better with dark slacks, but you tell I have something big in my pocket, but you can't tell it's a gun although one might wonder.

13. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

If I have to wear business clothes (which isn't often really) I drop back to carrying my Colt Mustang .380 in a pocket holster from Ace Case if I want something on my person.

I'll also carry my 9mm in the CC pocket of my bag if I know I won't have to leave the bag somewhere unattended.

14. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for something similar as my next job will probably require a similar dress. Smart Carry tucks in the front of your pants is an option but I've heard its terrible, pocket carry would work but I currently don't have a pocket gun, my best option for now is ankle carry.

15. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

I have a similar situation. During the winter my dress code allows for a sport jacket, which of course makes it quite easy. I would recommend a "tuckable" holster such as the Crossbread or a Galco King-Tuk. These still leave little metal clips showing one your belt. If this is not an option, go with a belly band style holster, or a Pistol Wear.

16. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

You can get V-clips from Crossbreed and others which utilize a velcro lined belt. As near to invisible as it gets since they attach to the back side of the belt. I haven't gone there yet but intend to in the near future.

Idaho Gunslinger likes this.
  17. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO CARRY AND HOW YOU WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

18. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

shoulder holster, leave your jacket on all the time.

filjos likes this.
  19. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

I have used those, but mine always ended up making noise. Plus they still showed over the top of your pants. For undetectable carry, a belly band is hard to beat.

Kilted1 likes this.
  20. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I'll also suggest belly band. If you're going to wear it right around your waist, you'll have to remember to get your pants a size or two bigger. I forgot that when I got dress clothes, and the pants don't stretch at all.