1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Concealed Carry License opinions?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by darth_guy101, Dec 4, 2011.

1. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Yes, a private business (be it your employer or a merchant) you choose to do business with may elect to not allow firearms, even when licensed, to not be allowed on their property. An employer may choose to terminate your employment if found to be carrying and as a customer a business may ask you to leave.

In some states a posted "no firearms allowed" sign carries the weight of the law and you're "guilty" by ignoring it and continuing to enter the establishment. In thus case if you are reported because they see your gun for whatever reason, you can be charged accordingly to that law. In a place where the sign carries no weight, all they can do is ask you to leave or remove your weapon before returning. If you fail to comply, then they can try to cite you for trespass and get law enforcement involved.

2. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Ok then, I guess the short answer would be yes, yes and yes.

3. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Those people are called Darwin award winners.

4. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

Correct. Places like Federal buildings (government, post office, court buildings, etc), police stations, schools, churches (depending on the state), and airports are all off limits. Places of work that fall outside these, are considered private property and its up to the discretion of the owner. My office, I can't carry, but I leave it locked in the car for when I leave. In my state, my car is an extension of my home, so even though I can't carry into my office, I can leave my firearm locked in the car and they can't legally do anything about it. Now, I am totally pro Second Amendment, however private property and the rights to be able to deny access to your own property is just as important. I just simply do not give business to companies who do not allow me to carry into their establishment....and I politely tell management why.

T.H.Cone and BubbaFett like this.
  5. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16 Loaded Pockets

In America, most people have what are called "at will" employment. Which basically means you can get let go or fired at any time for any number of reasons. No contract to keep you there if you want to leave or your company wants you gone (blatant discrimination aside).

Most employers I know do not allow guns on the premise due to the combination of the increased insurance they would have to carry on the property should something happen as well as the thought of someone they were firing going off the deep end and not being rational, which can happen in times of stress. Ever heard the term "go postal"? It is common over here and due to circumstances like that I believe, high stress causing mental instability.

In my state if an establishment posts a no gun sign, it does not carry legal consequences. If they notice you carrying, they can ask you to leave (and you must leave) but I do not believe you can actually get charged for anything. This does not include hospitals, schools, post offices, etc where the state defines them as no carry zones.

6. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't. It has however become one of my proverbs :D

7. patientcero

It's an arrestable offense of criminal trespass and it is usually a misdemeanor (if you refuse). Not to mention a good way to get a gun drawn on you given the circumstances.

8. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16 Loaded Pockets

How do you suppose you would get a gun drawn on you if you are being peaceful in a NO GUN ZONE. Some hypocrite is going to pull on you? :rolleyes:

I don't know if you were saying I was wrong or if you were backing what I was saying...

In Iowa cases and statue dictates that it is not illegal to carry in a place marked a no gun zone unless it is designated that way by the state or federal law. They can ask you to leave, but it is not an arrest able offense.

Last edited by Hawkeye16, Jan 29, 2014
  9. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

In Texas it becomes illegal (criminal trespass) if you are asked to leave and refuse. I think that's where the thought was going (but I'm in another state & might be wrong).

10. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16 Loaded Pockets

That makes sense. Although that is the case whether you have a weapon or not!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

True I guess, but here I think it comes under a different law code if you have a conceal permit. If you don't have one & you are carrying on someone else's property, that's illegal in and of itself.

12. patientcero

I was backing what you are saying, noting the result of deciding to refuse and forcing their hand with calling you in on a trespass.

Or in the rare case you have an over zealous security guard, etc. go full-retard on you. There is a notorious YouTube video of a guy trying to actual be disarmed before he could even attempt to peacefully leave from a Whole Foods in Louisiana. Then the case of Eric Scott here in Las Vegas at Costco in 2012, that is whole other thread on its own however.

Sent via satellite from outer frickin' space!

13. deusvult

deusvult Loaded Pockets

Well, a bit late tot the party, but I have had my CCW permit for about a year now. Seeing that Texas recently enacted a photo ID requirement to vote, it has been nice to have another method of proving my identity to the poll workers. Also, in Texas (as in some other states) the CCW permit is, in effect, a "good citizen" card. Go to the state house in Austin and take your weapon and permit to bypass the security checkpoint. Leave them at home and stand in line with the great unwashed masses. It is for this reason alone that many state employees and legislators carry.

14. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16 Loaded Pockets

I will have to look those up. There are definitely some crazy stories. The ones I like are the Buffalo Wild Wings that ask on-duty police officers with badges showing to leave because their firearms were showing. :D

BubbaFett likes this.
  15. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16 Loaded Pockets

I am loving Texas more and more every day...

BubbaFett likes this.
  16. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

There are definitely lots of crazy stories. There was one a while back where an employee at a Circuit City tried to forcibly restrain someone because they wouldn't submit to the door bag check while leaving (no firearms involved).

People are very fuzzy on these issues and they vary from place to place.

-john

17. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

1) What potential outcome are you worrying about?

2) Don't let any FUD get in the way of you legally looking out for your physical well-being.

3) A CCL also says that you can pass a background check and wish to do things legally. As another poster has said, often considered a "good guy card".

-john

BubbaFett and Hawkeye16 like this.
  18. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Everyone has the personal responsibility for their own safety. That being the case, it would be immoral to deprive them of the means to do so.

As such, I don't think CCLs live up to the spirit of the Constitution, but life is imperfect and this one is something I can live with as long as they are SHALL ISSUE.

-john

BubbaFett, Hawkeye16 and T.H.Cone like this.