1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Concealed Carry License opinions?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by darth_guy101, Dec 4, 2011.

1. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Yup, and we sure delighted in taking their homelands too! Treaties? We don't need no stinking treaties.

2. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Generally speaking: Yes, yes, yes, no, and it depends on where you are. Confusing but you have to see the US as a conglomeration of semi-autonomous countries much like the EU in design. Interrelated and interdependent with the federal government overseeing things (way more than originally intended). Courts and congress have recognized that firearms aren't the only thing covered by the second amendment, however so far it's been mostly a state issue. In my state, a CC permit also gets you past the few restrictions on knives. The only place that I know of where knife laws are regularly enforced is New York City.

Every gun owner I know is fairly obsessed about safety. We don't need laws and regulations to tell us to be careful. If someone is injured as a result of negligence then there are legal remedies for that without resorting to prior restraint and punishing the innocent.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  3. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i hope you like it when the president ignores a supreme court ruling the way andrew jackson did and you lose all your rights as a sentient being for the sake of profit..

Kilted1 likes this.
  4. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

Yes, everyone is responsible for their own actions. If you make stupid choices, you'll win stupid prizes. I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible. Ideally, yes, I think people SHOULD get training before carrying, or at the VERY LEAST know about firearms. Most people that I know, who start carrying, seek out training. Example, I taught a good friend of mine to shoot (I am a certified NRA instructor) and took my CC course with her. Since starting to carry, she has taken 2 training class on CC. The problem is training is not cheap. At least $200 and if its a well known company, you can be looking at $600+. After you add ammo, transport, lodging (if needed) meals, time off work, etc....its not cheap. Shooting is a skill that diminishes over time, that's why SOF/SF units train constantly. For some people, those costs might be more than they can afford, so does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to carry? Ideally they should get training as they are able, but I do not believe it should be REQUIRED. When you get your driver's license, you only take the class once and then take a test. More people die in car accidents than by guns here in the US. I will always recommend training, its invaluable, but I would not deny someone the right to protect themselves if they haven't. Hope this helps.

11C1P and T.H.Cone like this.
  5. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

I'd say it's already happening. Not so much by POTUS decree (yet), but by our faltering economic system and redistrubution of wealth to a few and not the many of citizens. But topic for another thread . . .

6. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

the only way to achieve equal outcomes is for everyone to have nothing...there will always be one percenters...if everyone is a millionaire then no is...

Kilted1 and hunter s gatherer like this.
  7. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

DavyJ, your questions, and the premises behind them don't come from the reality of the situation. Gun owners are inherently responsible. The mere fact that there is not blood in the streets or even very many accidents given the huge number of firearms in this country is proof enough that the vast, vast majority of gun owners are responsible people who are no way desirous of violence unless there is no other choice.

If we were discussing cars, and your question was-

I guess at the heart of my questions in this thread is the point of personal responsibility. If you are asked to drive your car in a responsible manner would you agree to this? If you don't agree to this, would you accept the potentially lethal consequences? Do you think people who refuse to drive responsibly should still be permitted to drive, despite the dangers to themselves and everyone else? Are we free to act irresponsibly in such a way that presents a danger to others without accepting that there should be consequences to our behaviour?

Can you see how ridiculous that is?

There are already severe legal penalties for doing something "irresponsible" with a dangerous tool, be it a gun or a car or something else. Murder, vehicular homicide, etc.

No reasonable, well adjusted human being wants to hurt another and will therefore act responsible on their own without outside influence. For those that can't or won't, the punishment should be harsh and draconian. But the punishment can be accomplished without restricting the other 99.99% of us.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the Right to defend themselves."

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Jan 27, 2014
  8. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Uncle Ted knows!

SAKplumber and T.H.Cone like this.
  9. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Wow, I looked at one of the links from Uncle Teds video and found this one. Just when you think there is no hope for our future a little girl steps up and hits a Ruthian shot over the heads of those stupefied legislators! I had never heard about that deal in China that happened on the same day as sandy hook about a guy killing 20 some kids with a knife. I had heard about a similar event many years ago in the UK, but the press not surprisingly doesn't like to mention those.

JohnN, SAKplumber and T.H.Cone like this.
  10. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

That's true. As I don't live in the US all I have to go by is what is reported on the news channels and what people, like you guys, tell me. I can hardly be blamed for forming opinions based only on the information that I have at hand. Which is why I got involved in this thread: the need to know more.

And now I do know more. Thank you.

Kilted1 and BubbaFett like this.
  11. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

I think some people just fail to understand the lack of firearms knowledge outside the US. I'm probably the most pro-firearms person anyone would ever meet, but I also don't fault people outside this country for not knowing. Now if someone from outside the US comes and starts talking about how guns are bad and should be banned, I'll tell them where to get off because this is my country. However you didn't do that, you simply asked questions, at least from what I read, so I'm not sure what the air of hostility is about. Interestingly enough I was at the range yesterday and there was a guy with 3-4 Chinese nationals (They didn't speak English and someone was translating for them), teaching them how to shoot. It was pretty cool and kinda got me thinking about this. Shooting is just as natural to me as driving to the store, going to work, or camping out in the woods. How interesting it must be for people to come over here from other countries and experience something they can't do in their own country. There are many countries that allow firearm ownership, but none where it is so freely available or guaranteed.

BubbaFett likes this.
  12. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

If this has been mentioned, I apologize.. But I live in Florida. Kinda lax gun laws. You can have a gun in your car, home, etc. Glove box, whatever. As long as you do not literally 'conceal carry' it, you do not need a license. Of course other states laws will be way different.

IIts been said obtaining your concealed carry license can "put you on the radar". I know I see a poster's Sig that says "Big Brother is watching"... I agree. And I believe it applies.

I recently got my first revolver, first gun EVER. Solid S&W .38.... I think it is full Stainless, not really great for Concealed Carry, anyway.. It's older (20 years?) but I've been told it is a gun that will last lifetimes. Newb to the gun world. But I see I need one to protect myself if things get, uhm, catastrophic.

Kilted1 likes this.
  13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

You'll learn that you can't trust the US Media. :) They no longer investigate...they indoctrinate.

11C1P, Kilted1 and T.H.Cone like this.
  14. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Couple of points.

1. RE: being on the radar. Being cautious is good. But don't go overboard. Get your permit.

2. RE: older S&W revolvers. 60s- early 80s were the golden era of S&W revolvers. If you have one from then, you have a great gun. I've got 4 from that era. No locks, pinned barrels. Two .38s, two .357s, all steel (one blued, the others stainless). Couple are the 2" or 2 1/2" round butt k-frames. With the right high-ride pancake holster and a sturdy belt, they conceal just fine under a cover garment. 6 rounds, learn to make 'em count.

15. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thank you for the opinion! I truly am on the fence about getting the Concealed Carry. I just got the revolver about a month ago. I've got some defensive rounds and target practice rounds ($$$$!), so the concealed carry license is next on the 'to do', if I decide to get it. I only own this one revolver, and will probably never carry it directly on me, maybe in the truck...

Been to the range a few times and I'm not a bad shot. it is a solid steel gun, I'm almost positive it was from early 80's. Had someone offer me 900$ for it at the range the first time out. No thanks. 8) It only has a 5-round capacity, not 6. I doubt that will matter much unless I'm in an actual 'gunfight'. I love the weight. My mother carries a newer 38 and it is too light. Feels plastic, and the kick is horrible due to the short barrel and low weight.

16. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

I have another question (groans from all around no doubt!).

Are you permitted to carry a weapon in your place of work? Or does it depend on the nature of the workplace itself?

Okay, that was 2 questions. Whaddya gonna do :tongue:

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Depends where you work. You may be committing a state or federal crime depending on the institution to which you are employed. Outside of those it just depends on the employer and their corporate policy as some specifically state no weapons allowed and other specify nothing, but would likely fire you if found that you do carry while at work.

18. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Anyone from the US.

19. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

@patientcero, does that mean that apart from specific federally covered places, your workplace is classed as private property and as such the 2nd amendment can be ignored? Sorry if that sounds a bit dumb but I am interested in under what rule an employer denies you the option to carry a weapon. Not trying to be argumentative (as I have tried not to be throughout this thread), but the way of living in the US is a bit of a mystery to me. Of course I have visited many times, but as a visitor I don't have the same rights citizens have, and neither am I there long enough to get a good taste of things as they are.

Cheers!

20. pacman

pacman Loaded Pockets

This made me laugh. Solid nugget of wisdom right there.

SAKplumber, BubbaFett and T.H.Cone like this.