1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Computer techs, help

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Jan 16, 2016.

1. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Although if you have Dell Basic support, that call might take a while.

2. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Firstly it's a MS product and as such should be treated as alpha / beta ware. Secondly The updates they release for it are always days or weeks later than dedicated AV companies updates. Thirdly i would rather trust a company whose sole purpose is to detect and prevent viruses & spyware, rather than a little department inside of a company doing 100 other things.

Thanks, i'll go find the article and give it a read. Yeah once you've upgraded, you can then clean install without any activation issues, you don't even need to bother entering a key as it registers your hardware on the MS activation servers. You should only have issues if you change a major component (hard drive, motherboard, cpu etc).

Defender isn't actually that bad, it's just constantly out of date when you compare it to 3rd party offerings.

Yes the retail version of windows 10 will clean install without issue, as will the oem on 1st install or reinstall (unless any major hardware changes have taken place). But the free upgrade won't, without actually upgrading first it won't activate and you have to call MS to get it resolved.

MS generally stick to a 1st Tuesday of the month release schedule for windows update. However with windows 10 they have been releasing updates on a much quicker scale, trying to fix the numerous bugs they left in it.

Yeah, you gotta love MS using every windows 10 machine as a peer by default. Saves them lots of bandwidth and server resources.

earthman likes this.
  3. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

Even though I generally agree with you, this is no longer necessarily true, for instance take a look at this about Ubuntu from wikipedia (footnotes removed):

I think it deserves mentioning because Ubuntu is one of the more likely choices for a new-to-linux user coming from a Windows environment.
    This is actually the same reason i will be moving away from CyanogenMod for my phone.

That said, I am in the process of installing linux mint (which is based on Ubuntu, but without the aforementioned issue) on my girlfriends laptop as she upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, without consulting with me, and I soon found out most of the hardware didn't have Windows 10 supported drivers. Instead of rolling back to 7 we agreed she should try a user-friendly version of linux as she only uses it for browsing, documents, spotify and the like anyway, and the original Windows version was full of bloatware (I don't know how many friends have asked me to fix their brand new computer thinking they had contracted a virus or spyware only to find out the pre-installed bloatware was the cause of all the grievance), not to mention the not totally absent, but greatly diminished chance of virus/malware/spyware.

All this said, on Windows i usually stick to Avast or AVGfree (just don't install all the extra stuff they AVG tries to push on you). And please stay away from Norton Antivirus, which in my opinion is as bad as a lot of viruses/malware.

Written on my laptop running Arch Linux with Openbox (desktop also runs arch, and i have a laptop with debian/Windows 10 in dualboot)

4. TonyNoOne

TonyNoOne Loaded Pockets

I get that and never liked the Amazon results but, to be fair, it's a one click opt out AND we're less than a month from 16.04 which is opt in by default. Jus' sayin...

xbanker and Montetobuso like this.
  5. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

Sorry didn't know it was settled that it would become opt-in, but that is great news (news to me). Nothing could be better. I guess i still think it is a valid point that not all linux distros will necessarily be respecting your privacy, and that some distros have large commercial interests even though they are free to use. The reason why I mentioned CyanoGenMod even though that is strictly not linux, but an Android fork, is that microsoft invested in them, and as of Jan 2016 you will get commercials for Microsoft (which is probably the company you are trying to get away from by switching to linux/android). I'm sure you know all this, so I guess my point is that new-to-linux users should be aware that not everything that looks like open-source or privacy respecting distros necessarily will be. And even though most of them are to this day, we should be aware of the future (its always good to worry a bit when stuff happens like when the Ubuntu Manifesto suddenly disappeared from their website).

Edit:
    And also, sorry for straying from original posters question :)

Last edited by Montetobuso, Mar 6, 2016
    TonyNoOne and xbanker like this.
  6. MoighonFweeman

MoighonFweeman Loaded Pockets

In newer computers that ship with Windows 8 or 10, the Windows activation key is stored in BIOS. Therefore, if you don't do any major hardware changes, you can install and uninstall all you want. I recommend doing a clean install with the USB tool - it works fine and actually does a clean install. Keep in mind that it won't install your drivers, so you might want to download those beforehand, otherwise you'll have to use another computer or an Ethernet connection to download them.

Panda Free is a great antivirus. It's unobtrusive and works very well.

ran23 and xbanker like this.