1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Compass Bubble

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Prof. Ed, May 2, 2006.

1. Prof. Ed

Prof. Ed Empty Pockets

Is it possible to remove a bubble that formed in my compass? I like the compass, but can not stand the bubble.

Thanks,

Prof. Ed

2. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've found air bubbles in a few of mine as well but I'm not sure how to fix it or if it is even possible. I'd be interested in a way to do this also.

3. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

At altitude (above 500 to 1000 meters) bubbles may form in the compass fluid. The cause is a drop in atmospheric pressure and/or low temperature. This can occur in any compass. The bubble will usually disappear, when normal conditions return or will remain if pressure/temp remain the same. Or it could be caused by a leak which as long as the needle is submerged and free floating doesn't adversely affect performance. So, if it's just a regular compass, you can get over it or get a new one, but if it's an expensive marine(boat) compass where your life can definately depend on it, get it fixed. I don't like bubbles either, but they do seem to develop over time.

4. Prof. Ed

Prof. Ed Empty Pockets

It is a SAK Match Box Compass made bt Recta. Other companies make the same one. I suppose I'll have to buy another. I hate to, but the bubble really bothers me.

Thanks and best regards,

Prof. Ed