1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Compact Umbrellas

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by CaptCarrot, Aug 5, 2013.

?

Which brollie?

1. Blunt XS Metro

31.6%
  2. Knirps Minimatic SL

10.5%
  3. Knirps Fiber T2 Duomatic

5.3%
  4. GustBuster Metro

10.5%
  5. Fulton Windbreaker 1

10.5%
  6. Senz Mini AO

5.3%
  7. Other - Please suggest

26.3%
  1. CaptCarrot

CaptCarrot Loaded Pockets

I am in the market for a new "decent" umbrella. I have been using "recovered" brollies for some time now.

In the past I have shelled out on a Fulton Open & Close 11 and a Knirps Big Duomatic. But both have suffered broken struts. From memory I may have use the "paperclip rivet repair" on one or both of them, but my biggest issue is that one of the struts on each has snapped around the middle joint in one of the ribs.

I am trying to make an informed decision and am struggling with the mixed reviews I am finding.

There are 2 requirements and 1 optional requirement that I have.

1. Must be a telescopic model - space is at a premium and it needs to be carried at all times.
    2. Would like automatic opening.
    3. [Optional] Would like automatic closing

I have created a shortlist of the brollies I am considering, but am also open to suggestions. Price wise, I don't want to spend over $75 USD, unless it looks like it will be worth it - but I will consider anything up to $100 USD.

So here is my list:

Right now I am leaning most towards the blunt.

r-ice likes this.
  2. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

Are there any stores close to you that carry any of these. Some hands on with some of these would be the best thing.

3. CaptCarrot

Unfortunately not. The only experience I have is with the Fulton and Knirps.

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

This is what I carry. Mywalit elephant camp. Real quality infrastructure. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375812396.416625.jpg

Sent by Owl Post

5. CaptCarrot

Interesting - does it come in black? End can you provide a link?

6. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I own a fulton windbreaker, and its done me well. It is a bit on the large side, and is quite heavy, but it has taken a beating from the wind and is still perfect.

7. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

They have quit making them. You can get them on eBay still. Blue and black is as close as they come to black.

Sent by Owl Post

8. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Have you considered a GoLite or SnowPeak?

9. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Hey Capt. Carrot, you can use "nutnfancy" for 20% off the Blunts at Blunt's website fore a limited time.

CaptCarrot and Todywayne like this.
  10. Todywayne

Todywayne Loaded Pockets

I wasn't in the market for one of these, but after Nutnfancy's video... I'm thinking that a Blunt XS_Metro will be headed my way...! lol

11. Kuscoot

Kuscoot Loaded Pockets

Ok...somebody please tell me what I'm missing? 50 bucks plus for an umbrella? I bought one this morn at a local store. 8.99 and it is so compact it fits right in the side of my bag. It flipped right open and closed up tightly. Seems good to me but clearly I'm missing something. I'm all about buying quality items so I only have to buy it once. I've never even known there were 50 dollar umbrellas:eek:
    I would love to understand what I'm missing. :)

12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Totes is a big name in the US. However, umbrellas never last me more than a couple of years. Thats when they begin to fail, be it the cloth coming off at the ends or a structure failure.

Personally I like the Knirps Fiber T2 Duomatic. For myself I really like stick umbrellas and the last Totes I bought was advertised on a Department store an auto Open/Close. It came as an auto open only. When I emailed them they sent me another and instructions to return the first. They gave me a credit and when I returned the first one to the local store they gave me a refund, despite my protest:rolleyes:
    Since I've got a couple of of folders and now a stick to wear out, I don't have the desire to pay for the style that I originally wanted. www.Totes.com

13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for that link, THC. Nice umbrellas! Time to put one on my list.:)

14. CaptCarrot

Simple - while your 8.99 bargain may serve you well, there is a high chance that it will fail real quick.

@SAKplumber - I too prefer stick umbrellas, but alas they are too cumbersome for a bus driver to carry all the time :(.

That Blunt is looking even more tempting now - wonder if that 20% will apply to UK orders?

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. T.H.Cone

So, I call Mrs. Cone over to take a look at the umbrellas last night after I post here. She says, "The two, half broken ones are good enough and who would spend an $50+ on an umbrella? Besides, we are a gore tex family." She also mumbled something about how I should follow Chopper's advice and har...

I immediately start formulating a plan to sneak one into the house. When I got home from work today, she says, "I hope you didn't order any umbrellas this morning before work- I think she is catching on to "the plan"- because I took a second look and ordered up two (the Classic and the XL-2)." She even used the TNP code. How awesome is that?

Anyway, we will have samples in hand soon and will let you folks know if Nutn is full of it or not.

She also said I should never tell anyone how much we paid for umbrellas, so mums the word.

SAKplumber and kertap75 like this.
  16. Kuscoot

Kuscoot Loaded Pockets

Well, after watching that video and counting up all of the $8.99 umbrellas that are dead in the car-hole . . . I NOW know I need a $50 umbrella! Thanks all ;)
    That savings code ROCKS!
    Seems like Mrs. Cone had the right idea! Congrats Mr. Cone!

T.H.Cone and CaptCarrot like this.
  17. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think he is, personally. Looking forward to the review.:)

ParTimeBourne and SAKplumber like this.
  18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Perhaps you should ask kd7dvd...he's a bus driver in Seattle. If anyone here in the States understands the rain, Seattle does. :D

19. T.H.Cone

For being smart enough to marry Mrs. Cone, right? Probably the only thing I ever got right.

I have to say that while I don't subscribe to any UT channels, I watch most of his videos. I find that he isn't always trustworthy honest unbiased correct in his reviews. For example, he raved on and on about the Ka Bar Dozier- "TNP hall of fame", "highly recommended budget blade"- but the three samples I own are all POS. That raises a red flag concerning credibility for me. And because of the size of my knife collection, that isn't the only example I can point to. Kind of makes me wonder what his deal is with the so called TNP knife suppliers.

On the other hand, my boys and I all picked up the MAP 3500 (basically a Militarized Kelty Redwing) after one of his reviews and discount code offers. Fantastic packs.

When all is said and done, I admire him for his service, being a family guy, creating a little side business from scratch, and his political views, I don't even mind the selling of TNP gear and chachkies, but I could really do without all the E-panhandling. Maybe worse of all is the fact that he pretends he is going broke making videos for us. Because I find that sooo hard to believe, it is hard to fully trust the guy.

Like everything else, your own personal due diligence is required.

Anyway, we've been billed for the umbrellas, so the order went through, however, as of yet, no email confirmation. Mrs. Cone emailed them with a "what's up" after the first 24 hours. No reply yet.

So, not off to a spectacular start, if you ask me.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Aug 9, 2013
    kertap75 likes this.
  20. T.H.Cone

Well, oddly enough, the email from Blunt literally just came through. It has a link to my order and tracking, which is all great, except the link sends me to a page that says "Unauthorized".

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because I imagine that all the TNPs are snapping up umbrellas at a pace they likely were not ready for. My bride says that lots of choice that were available yesterday are now out of stock, so perhaps they are just swamped.

Really? Back to back posts?

Well, at least I didn't quote myself in this one.