1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Compact Survival Cord from Gearward

Discussion in 'Gearward (EDC, preparedness & survival gear)' started by Mark Greenman, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Mark Greenman
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Mark Greenman Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, this is something I've developed in the last few months. It's called Compact Survival Cord. The goal of CSC is to allow you to carry significantly more cordage than you could with traditional 550 cord, in a package small enough for you pocket. And, unlike a paracord bracelet, you can actually bust it out for daily use in seconds, and then re-roll the cord when you're done using it.

Compact Survival Cord will be featured in The Forum Store in the next week, and so I wanted to give you guys a rundown of what it brings to the table in terms of EDC capabilities.

CSC is currently available in 3 sizes: Micro, Mini, and Small. Here they are, compared to a 50' hank of 550 Paracord:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Micro CSC holds 25 feet of 200lb test Kevlar. Kevlar is the same material used in bullet proof vests, and Kevlar line is currently specified for use in the new Navy SEAL survival kits.

[​IMG]

The Micro CSC fits perfectly into the change pocket of a pair of jeans:

[​IMG]

Or into an Altoids PSK

[​IMG]

The Mini CSC holds 60 feet of the same Kevlar 200 line, in a container about the size of a pack of floss:

[​IMG]

The Small CSC holds 50' of Technora, which is 600lb test. Technora is a Japanese variation of Kevlar, and is 8 times stronger than steel by weight. It is less than 1/2 the diameter of Paracord, while just as strong, and is very heat resistant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50' CSC Technora vs. 50' Paracord:

[​IMG]

The reason I created CSC was that I wanted a way to EDC more cordage than I could with my Survival Bracelets, in a package that I could actually deploy and use. Here they are compared to a 14' and 20' bracelet:

[​IMG]

The CSC spools flip open, making it easy to deploy and re-wind the cord as needed:

[​IMG]

Compact Survival Cord can obviously be used any way you would normally use cordage.

For example, the Kevlar line can be broken into three seperrate strands, each about 60lb test, suitable for shelter building, sewing, or fishing:

[​IMG]

However, the unique properties of the Kevlar/ Technora, and the deployment spool, make for some interesting urban options.

Both the Kevlar and the Technora are extremely heat resistant (800+ degrees), allowing you to friction saw through plastic. I cut through 1.5" PVC pipe in about a minute (and yes, those are pajamas and boots :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another urban application is to use CSC as a security tool for securing doors against an attack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It works very well on securing hydraulic doors, which is nice if the door doesn't have a lock and there is not other way to rapidly barricade the door. This would be especially useful for classrooms that don't have locking doors.

[​IMG]

When secured this way the door can only open about 2":

[​IMG]

The natural pale yellow of the kevlar line is very hard to see in low light, making it ideal for temporarily blocking stairwells from being rushed. See if you can spot all 3 lines; this was set up in under 1 minute.

[​IMG]

In terms of strictly EDC, non-tactical use, one of the most common things I use mine for is holding open springloaded doors. This is from a few months back when there was a power outage in my building. When the power went out, all of the electromagnetic doors failed and slammed shut on 40lb firedoor springs. This made it very difficult to coordinate with my neighbors down the hall.

But, by busting out the Micro CSC I keep in my change pocket, I was able to quickly secure the door open by tying it the wall magnet:

[​IMG]

It's also really handy when you're helping a friend move:

[​IMG]

So far, the feedback I've gotten from other users has been overwhelmingly positive, and I think that you will find Compact Survival Cord to be a worthy addition to your EDC. :cool:

-Mark

Last edited by Mark Greenman, Feb 8, 2014
  2. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

^^^Very, very cool...:) ^^^

Another must-have...

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

Nice! This would be something I actually use and carry. I will never carry a paracord bracelet. Great Idea! Thanks for sharing

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

Since it is so heat resistant. Can you melt the ends to keep them from fraying, or does it not fray all that much.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Loaded Pockets

I currently have some type of Kevlar cord and it frays at the ends real bad. How does this new stuff do? I love the container that will come with it. Great idea !

Cobra 6 Actual and Syy like this.
  6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool, should be just in time for my tax refund JSB order. To be honest 90 percent of my needs could be met with simple cheap twine do I am most interested in the spools. Are they available separately? Even if they aren't I'll probably pick up a few of these. One for the emergency kit and one for EDC with the thought of reloading with more appropriate (for me at least) twine when it runs out. Thanks for selling through the forum store!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. Mark Greenman
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Glad you like it guys!

The Kevlar and Technora are insanely heat resistant. Even when exposed to direct, 2500 degree flame from my Blazer Torch, they will not melt or burn - they just sort of char. That's what allows them to be used as such an effective friction saw through plastic, and some types of wood as well.

The spools prevent them from fraying - see below.

Good to hear from you Paulie. If left exposed, Kevlar line will fray like other twisted line. This is advantageous if you need to quickly break it down for use as a fishing/sewing line, but not ideal for EDC.

Compact Survival Cord solves this with the little "cordinizer" spool. The flip up/flip down design of the spool pressed down on the edge of the cord, and completely seals it off from abrasion in the pocket. You can carry one for months without it fraying.

For my personal EDC, I tie the end of the cord into a 2" wide loop, sort of like a yo-yo. This a) prevents the cord from fraying and b) allows you to deploy it into a slip knot very quickly.

[​IMG]

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mark, you forgot to mention that your product will be available in the Forum Store soon.

Thanks for working with the Forum Store! I've been hoping this would happen 'cause I really need this :)

T.H.Cone and vegassprky like this.
  9. Mark Greenman
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Hi SAK, that's actually mentioned in paragraph #2 of my post ;) I'm very pleased to be working with the forum store, Jon's a really great guy and I'm glad to help support the EDC forum.

T.H.Cone, kertap75 and SAKplumber like this.
  10. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Plumbah...here's what Mark wrote in his first post :

Thank you Mark for working with Jon and the Forum Store...btw. :)

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Looks like I skimmed right over that:D Sorry. & Thanks! :bounce:

SurvivePenna likes this.
  12. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

This thread is now in the dedicated Gearward forum. Let's help Mark feel welcome!:)

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Those spools are pretty clever, and the minimalist size options are taunting my credit cards....

bring forth the tax returns, and sacrifice them to the forum store. 8)

14. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Excellent stuff! Love the mother-of-invention friction saw demo.

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dang it! The amount of 'little stuff' I need from JSB's just keeps getting longer and longer!

kertap75 and vegassprky like this.
  16. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

17. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Loaded Pockets

Ok....thought bout it all night....I want some NOW :)

Kripto likes this.
  18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

This is a great product! I have two of the 25' rolls. I really like them. I haven't had occasion to use one, yet, but it's a lot more handy than paracord.

thePlumbah likes this.
  19. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

20. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

SAKp, I know you only said that to make me smile. Good one.

SAKplumber likes this.