1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Compact, lightweight, portable hearing protection?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Tru7h, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Hey All,

After just getting off a 737 (with screaming children, engine noise, etc) and about to board another, I’m REALLY interested in getting some kind of over-the-ear type of earpro.

I have several pairs for shooting, shop tools, and so forth, including the Howard Leight Impact Sport, but even the foldable Impact Sport model is WAY too bulky to carry in a shoulder style carry on bag. I would be using this over earbuds or Surefire EP earplugs.

Anyone here with a recommendation for a very lightweight, reasonably durable, reasonably comfortable over-the-ear earpro that folds down to a very compact package?

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I know you asked about over the ear. I edc flanged earplugs. Just so much more compact. Not perfectly 100% sound cutoff, but gets it down to a dull roar for me...

Sorry not to be more helpful.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Same here, got a set on my keychain and that's awesome because ive needed them in situation i could never have thought beforehand i would ever need to bring any kind of hearing protection.

4. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

I also edc some "earasers" ear plugs on my keychain as well. Super comfortable, as I don't like the feel of 'flanged' plugs and most mushroom shaped plastic plugs for long periods. They are medical silicone plugs which lower db without cutting out frequencies, they are normally for musicians/concerts. But they do make solid versions as well.

Great for noisy car rides, concerts, race tracks, etc.

Andrew

5. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Peltor makes a folding slimline ear muff, but even my peltor tacticals are a little bulky when folded down. You might try and clip them to the outside of a bag while traveling. It won't take up any space in your bag and will be easier to access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing Airsofts for a long time for travel. I use them for about everything.

I have been looking at the Leightning L0f folding muffs for working with my chainsaws and brush cutters but swithched to helmet mounted instead.

Take a look at those. They are about as slim as I have ever seen.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

7. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Well, after not seeing any better options, I did go with the Howard Leight L0F. They’re exactly what I expected, but still nowhere nearly as compact as I was hoping to get. Anyways, here’s a shot of them on the bag:

[​IMG]

WillAdams, Nick4305 and adnj like this.
  8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Maybe a little pouch added to the bag or strap would keep the muffs out of the way.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

It’s a special purpose carry item, so I don’t think I want a whole separate pouch system for it. Compression buckle strap goes through the headband. Done.

adnj likes this.
  10. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Part of my PPE since years: 3M E-A-R series, either the Tri-Flange or UltraFit.

They do not cut off sound completely but reduce the dB's significantly - come with a string (so it's hard to loose them), can be re-used (after cleaning/washing) and are very light-weight and small.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, May 26, 2020
    #10 FiaOlleDog, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  11. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I have some Howard Leight Impact Sport attached to my bag. They are in a semi hard case I got off amazon.

12. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I habitually carry a pair us US Army-style dual-mode E.A.R Combat Arms ear plugs. These are the green/yellow ones, good for shooting range and industrial use; they sport a carry case (small), and cordage to keep the plugs attached to each other so you don't lose one by accident. I've found them quite effective (I work in a noisy environment, driving buses).

13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Aint there a big lawsuit going on with those not being effective and people loosing their hearing?

WillAdams likes this.
  14. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

When I travel I have Bose active noise blocking over the ear headphones so I can listen to the provided inflight entertainment system or pair with my own portable devices.

15. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Not over here in the UK; claims for hearing loss over here are retroactive to back in the 70s-90s, and are based on the single-use foam inserts (yellow plugs), which weren't all that much effective, apparently (I had no issues with them when I was a reservist in the 90's). In the early 90s we were also issued Peltor foam cup ear defenders, and they were utterly rubbish. Plastic body and a 5mm foam lining. "Ear defenders" my [insert body part]. I got my own active ear cans. Cost me a bit, but they, at least, worked.

However, for current use, the duel-end yellow/green jobs do me just fine :)

#15 RogerStenning, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    neo71665 likes this.
  16. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

For flying I use Bose QuietControl 30 neckband noise canceling earbuds. Maybe the best $300 I ever spent.

For other activities I prefer the Howard Leight Impact Pro over the hear earpro, which don't seem to fit your needs.