1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Comics lovers?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by GrayMouser, May 25, 2013.

1. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was browsing willydiggers thread last night and saw some pictures of a new comic, I've been out of the loop for a LONG time.

Who's into the new stuff?

What's worth picking up?

If you're into the older stuff only, what do you find yourself going back to re-read?

The last things I bought were the Fables collections by Bill Willingham. Beautiful art and a really interesting take on Fairy Tale characters in the real world. Some of the ideas from this series were incorporated into the TV series Once Upon A Time.

As far as the old stuff (70's-80's) goes I'm really into X-men ( the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne run is as close to perfection in a superhero comic as I've encountered), Avengers, New Mutants, Warlord, JLA, Legion of Super Heroes, Teen Titans, Anything that Neal Adams drew for Marvel or DC in the late 60's early 70's esp. the supernatural stuff.

In the 90's I was a huge DC/Vertigo fanboy. I digested all of it: Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Sandman, Hellblazer, Books of Magic, Shade the Changing Man, Vamps, Jonah Hex, Enigma, Moonshadow. AWESOME time for comics.

I'll post some pics later...

reppans likes this.
  2. zeppo
    • In Omnia Paratus

zeppo Banned

I dont like the new DC, dont like the new Spider Men either, Peter Parker is Spider Man, not someone else...
    Liking the Avengers books, the X books...
    Liking Jennifer Blood by Ennis...

Older stuff I read are the MASSIVE crossovers done by Marvel the last few years like Civil War, Secret War, Fear Itself, the Ennis Punisher run, everything by Warren Ellis...

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

If you are ok with webcomics, try Girl Genius, Questionable Content, Dinosaur Comics (aka. Quantz), Wondermark, Unshelved and Troops of Doom. Except for the last one, they've also been published as books, although not in their entirety.

GrayMouser, sungame and killroy360 like this.
  4. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I collected and read the original Firestorm series, Ghost Rider, The Unknown Soldier (which was a mini series), and Ninjak, a series from Valient Comics.

GrayMouser likes this.
  5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Aquaman

Sent by Owl Post

GrayMouser likes this.
  6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I had a thing for comic books, my older brother was subscribed to a lot of Marvel stuff in 70s so I had followed the soap operas - loving the Marvel Movie fad going on now, brings back memories. Spidey, Iron Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Thor of the popular ones and lesser known favorites like Submariner, Kazar, Silver Surfer.

My favorites are when they pit superhero vs superhero... I have a DC vs Marvel book somewhere where they pit Superman against the Hulk, Wonder Woman against Thor, Etc, etc. I paid a few hundred for a couple of "Secret War" series where it was Marvel vs Marvel battles.

I also have a bunch of "Zap" comics from college... those are seriously sick!

7. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

The Banana Splits

Sent by Owl Post

GrayMouser likes this.
  8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Amazing, but also incredibly sad short run series.... We3

Basically comics just got too expensive. Loved some of the old artists Cockrum, Claremont, Gene Colan, John Romita, Jim Steranko....

There was a time though where it seemed like a lot of the artwork became a morass of lazy garbage. Was painful to watch that inflicted on some of my favorite titles.

ATB,
    Sam

GrayMouser likes this.
  9. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I have been into comics since I was very young. Button (look it up!), Eagle, 2000AD the onto Marvel, DC and Dark Horse.
    I have a large collection of digital comics and graphic novels. Current favourites include:
    Age of X
    Wolverine- Old Man Logan
    Injustice - Gods Among Us
    Venom Dark Origins
    Dark Avengers Assemble
    Age of Ultron
    Deadpool Merc with a Mouth
    ABC Warriors
    Batman
    Aliens vs Predator.

GrayMouser likes this.
  10. RexHavoc

RexHavoc Loaded Pockets

Those Annoying Post Brothers, Matt Howarth.

GrayMouser likes this.
  11. Allgrave
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Allgrave Loaded Pockets

The only two I read with regularity growing up were Power Man & Iron Fist and The Savage Sword of Conan. I've gotten back into comics fairly recently. I enjoy the noir genre, and have really gotten into Ed Brubaker's work. Some series I've enjoyed are:

American Vampire
    The Boys
    Chew
    Criminal
    Criminal Macabre
    Desolation Jones
    Fables
    Fatale
    The Goon
    Hack/Slash
    The Immortal Iron Fist
    Morning Glories
    Northlanders
    Planetary
    Preacher
    Saga
    The Savage Sword of Conan (I treated myself to the set of Dark Horse reprints)
    Scalped
    Sin City
    Sleeper
    Thief of Thieves
    Transmetropolitan
    Unwritten
    Wormwood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GrayMouser likes this.
  12. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

The only thing I read regularly...THEE Walking Dead.

I occasionally pick up a cool weird graphic novel like Sullivan's Sluggers. That is a premium GN though.

I have read a couple Sin City GN that were good. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was very good too.

GrayMouser likes this.
  13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I forgot about "Usagi Yojimbo".:)

GrayMouser and RexHavoc like this.
  14. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Started collecting them in the eighties... managed to kick the habit by the late nineties!
    Got a couple of coffin boxes full of all sorts. No surprise that one box is nearly full of just Wonder Woman :rolleyes:

Don't think I saw Preacher in the OP - well worth a read. Also really loved Transmetropolitan, Swampy, Sandman and the good stuff.

Got an excuse to tell a story to demonstrate how stupid I am too.. I worked in a music shop as a teenager, opposite Forbidden Planet which is the premier comic shops in London. I used to hang with the comic guys and ended up sitting all night getting drunk with Alan Moore the day he was signing copies of the brand new Batman, "Killing Joke" book (an absolute must read for anyone who missed it). I had a copy, sat there all night, and never asked the man to sign it. Superb evening though :D

15. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, I didn't see that one coming....:D

GrayMouser and nuphoria like this.
  16. killroy360
    • In Omnia Paratus

killroy360 Loaded Pockets

A few more Good ones
    Slightly Damned
    Goblins
    Gunnerkrig court

GrayMouser likes this.
  17. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Holy crap! :eek: I'm totally jealous. Another good one of Moore's is the Superman story "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" which he worked on with Curt Swan and George Perez.

I've been reading comics since I was just a wee tot (again, shocking given my avatar). I was mostly into DC stuff with some Marvel and the occasional issue of Groo thrown in the mix. I think a JLA comic was one of the first things I remember reading as a kid in the early 70's.

I just bought my youngest a Superman cape for his birthday tomorrow. He's about to burst at the seams to see Man of Steel. :)

GrayMouser and nuphoria like this.
  18. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

walking dead and sweet tooth

GrayMouser likes this.
  19. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

I like The Simpsons comics lol

GrayMouser likes this.
  20. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I'm rereading 'Deadpool - Merc With a Mouth' in digital format. Ive just finished the Marvel Zombies chronology, so it ties in nicely.

GrayMouser likes this.