1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Columbia River CRKT M16 - Any good ?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Millman55, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

I was wondering if this knife any good for outdoor casual use and durability.
    I am looking for something not very expensive, but not cheaply made like a few of my SW folders.

This goes for around 20-30 dollars brand new.

Worth the money ? It sure passes the cool factor.

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Some people seem to like them.

Maybe I got a lemon but in my opinion it was singularly the absolute worst knife I have every bought in my life.
    The only worse knives I have ever seen was one that was given to me.

Again some people seem to like them.

3. Sealegs

Sealegs Loaded Pockets

What constitutes "outdoor" use?

I bought a M16-13T for use as a service folder. For my purposes it was rubbish. Everyone swears by it but I'm not feeling it. Not awesome in the cold, gets slippery with a bit of mud or blood on it. Got crap behind the liner lock once and it wouldn't close. Any crap you have on your hands/gloves will stick in the holes of the handle and strange enough it's not really a flow through design so washing it out takes a bit of work and q-tips. The blade comes in different shapes so I wont harp on it too much, at least the serrations work as they should.

It's a nice (cool) pocket knife but for camping/whitling/work I can't really recommend it. I seem to be the lone gunman on this though, everyone and their grandmother loves this knife and for the money you can afford to find out for yourself. Just don't get the Ti one. (I did it by mistake, just took a knife from the rack in the PX and then wondered what the heck I bought for more than $100.)

4. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I have one of the smaller ones, if I am correct the CRKT M16-10kz or something like that.

I paid 18 bucks for it, and it is bad, I have it on my tool box as a beater knife, stay away from them!

5. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

Not worth it. Had an M16-13 desert folder for a few weeks. Luckily sold it without any loss. The blade wasn't sharp at all. The quality just isn't very confidence inspiring. Spend a little more and get a Spyderco Endura or something like that. You won't regret it.

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

7. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

Hmm I see.
    Will a boker Magnum serioes knife be better ?

8. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

I have the M16-10KZ. It's pretty crummy, but for less than $20, it's ok... I also have the M16-13DSFG. I like that one. The veff serrations are pretty aggressive. If your going to get one, get a higher end series! The cheap ones are crap. CRKT mails out free catalogs.

9. ct.swampyankee

ct.swampyankee Empty Pockets

I agree.....m16 is junk. Bulky, doesn't feel good in hands, etc. Personally not a fan of boker mags, although never owned one, just not into these low grade low price items with a name stamped on em... leave. 'Em for the flea markets. Have you thought of the kershaw ken onions? Its your pricerange and pretty well made.

10. Yek4

Yek4 Loaded Pockets

It is somewhat upsetting to hear the negative feedback associated with CRKT knives. I'd had a few of them and personally use the M16-12z for my work knife. I use it daily for light to moderate chores and have never had a problem. In fact, for one reason or another the main screw holding the blade to the frame fell out. I contacted CRKT customer support via e-mail and within a week they sent me a new screw absolutely free. I was impressed....

It isn't the most durable knife and for a survival situation I'd certainly choose another one, but for daily use around town you can't beat the price. I'm a happy CRKT owner. :)

11. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

For $20, it isn't a "bad" knife. But, IMO, one can do better. For example, I prefer the Gerber Paraframe. I don't like the M16 because of how it's actuated for opening and it's definitely a two handed close. For me at least.

I wound up mailing it to a friend of mine. He thought it was good. But, his wife claimed it for her own. Most CRKT knives are pretty decent for the money.

12. Sharpone

Sharpone Empty Pockets

I have a m16-01k, which is the AUS8 blade and aluminum handle version. It's a good knife IMO. I hear the zytel handle ones werent that good, since the blade is AUS6. I think it's a decent knife. My M16-01k is still very sharp.

13. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

How is the "M16-13SFG" model for the money ? It promises better quality handles, better blade, better design than the cheap 10Z.
    You cannot ignore how nice this piece look :)

The 13SFG is around 30$ which is also reasonable.

14. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

it's ok to enter the knife world, was one of my first knives
    but after a while you keep searching

quality is low, better than gerber but pretty low, edgeholding is low and the serrations are BAD
    Maxx

15. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

Any of you guys want to sell me his FSG ? Pm me

16. cutter17

cutter17 Empty Pockets

I don't think that the Boker Magnum lineup would be much better. Now the Boker Plus lineup would be better, IMO of course. I would take a look at the Boker Plus line, and also look at the Spyderco Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious, and the Resilience. These are some VERY well built Spyderco's that go for around $30 to $40. Blade size is 2.25", 2.75", 3.4", and finally 4.25", a size for everyone!

17. rambo4hire

rambo4hire Empty Pockets

I think CRKT makes great knives but you just have to consider what you want. If the blade steel is not a concern and you are looking to beat the knife up then I say go for it! Like cutter said for the price you could go with a spyderco.

18. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Double post.

19. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I have one of those and have to agree, it's not worth the money. One problem I had with it and some other users too, (quick search) griffinhawks for example, was the thumb stud. It serves as a blade stop and does a bad job at it, mine got loose and i got some serious bladeplay, griffin lost his. Don't buy it.

One blade I would recommend thet is in that 20-30usd range is the spyderco byrd cara cara. I have both the 1st and the 2nd generation and they are great knives for the outdoors. You get a choice of a grind too. And it is a backlock which is a very secure lock

20. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

I never got as far as buying the Cara Cara but I sure should have, read this here (includes q&a by yours truly :)) )

http://www.woodsmonkey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=518:spyderco-byrd-cara-cara-review&catid=34:knives&Itemid=55