1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Color modification..dye, paint, anything else?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Rdog, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

Has anyone really experimented with changing or covering up unwanted/disliked color packs?
    Specifically modern synthetic materials.

Options seem to be dye for synthetic like Rit dye. Doesn't always come out like you hoped. (submerge entire bag is standard method, but what about using spray bottles? Some packs may have high vis interiors you don't want changed)

Spray paint, hard to tape off what you don't want painted, can stiffen fabric (sometimes that good).

Thinned, brushed on paint, again can stiffen fabric, goes exactly (close enough) where you want it, takes the most effort and patiences. (would the thinner damage anything?)

Then there are fabric paints, but not sure they come in colors I'd like or if they are designed to cover an entire object vs. painting on words or a design.

All this can be avoided by not buying a color you don't like, but sometimes those are the cheapest.

2. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

Well this is disappointing, I'd have thought some of you bag nuts would have done some of this already. I'll do some (more) experimenting, and report back in time.

Well I can say I have used Rit dye on packs...with different results. The first didn't take much color, don't think I kept it hot enough, the second did take the color, but the end result is not ideal, still better than bright, Frisbee tossing, granola colors...I think...and I can alway make it darker.

At this point I think Black is about the only way to go, as other colors, at least green, can turn out a bit odd...maybe black would too?

The synthetics also need to be heated, and thats a bit tricky. Need to try the spray bottle method, but its going to lack the prolonged heating, so I think it would only take color very lightly?

Painting, I'm playing with that right now...will report back on that.

3. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

A while back I dyed a Camelbak Trizip, and a Deuter Freeride. Both came out ok, but like you said, it is hard to get the colors to soak into synthetics. The Camelbak was multicam, and turned out dark blue the first time I tried with green/black dye. Another round of black/black dye turned it a dark dark green, with some of the pattern still visible. Interestingly parts of the webbing and zipper material didn't take, so they stayed tan. I detailed my methods in the thread as well. If you want pics I'll try to dig them back up and find a new place to host.

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/dyed-a-camelbak-trizip.134074/

Rdog likes this.
  4. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

I saw a pack in ACU that someone had tried to dye using RIT - It just didn't look right to me.

I have seen packs that have had camouflage stripes sprayed on in Krylon, and they can look effective.

5. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I did an experiment with a UCP camo pack, dyed it with Rit charcoal color I think? I can't remember now...not all that nice, I may try again with darker and more concentrated mix.

Another pack I used Rit on, that time using a green, although it took better, is still not ideal in my eyes, sort of has a sheen to it I'd rather not be there. That was a civilian hiker with the eye catching colors to begin with so maybe thats part of it?

I am still on the fence to try another Rit dye attempt on another UCP pack I have... or just paint it. Its not a pack I'd be carrying around town or back and forth to an office...its a hiking pack, doesn't have to look pretty, but I don't want it to stand out because of me being retarded with spray paint either. Am wondering about a couple of different colors sprayed on?

I did start to try and hand paint some of the bottom, keeping the camo pattern but changing the color...I think its doable, but I should have picked up a few test objects to try different colors first, in the end I don't really like the digital pattern, even when the colors change...so I started to change it.
    (being the bottom on the pack I don't have any fears of mistakes yet)

6. bnate

bnate Loaded Pockets

So think of this like a lady dying her hair at a beauty salon ....if she's a brunette, you can't just throw a blonde color on her hair and have it take. It's too dark to begin with. You need to remove the color first; strip the color AND THEN apply the blonde. (that's why it's so hard on their hair when they go blonde; the chemicals used in a multiple stage process).

Use RIT Color Remover, then apply the dye you want.

Good luck.

7. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

I dyed a MARPAT ILBE beaver tail black with Rit. I had the water just boiling when I put the tail in and kept the water close to a boil for the entire hour I soaked it. It took the dye pretty well except for the edges of the MOLLE webbing which is lighter but only visible when you look at the webbing on edge (so it’s not too obvious).

Perfect? No, but black with caveats is more useful to me than MARPAT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quino171 likes this.
  8. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I have thought about, but never attempted the color remover. I may have to pick up some practice pouches to work with.

9. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Re-hosted a few of the shots sorry they are pretty big, Imgur won't let me select a size to embed and I don't know how to forum... Details in the original thread if anyone is interested. Haven't done one since though.

Here is a before & after of the dueter bag;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a shot of the camelbak along with a pair of un-dyed multicam pants.

[​IMG]

karlito and Rdog like this.
  10. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

On one hand I think multicam is still a good camo and I wouldn't want to dye it, but on the other, that turned out very nice.

11. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

There is a dye called I dye that is made for nylon and plastics. Look for that.

12. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I don't mind multicam too much, but I was trying to make it blend in a little bit more. Really just wanted it straight black, but the dye wouldn't take well enough for that. I may try again some time, but it is a process and I've lost the drive for the moment!

13. Joe S

Joe S Loaded Pockets

I've had pretty good success with RIT dye. My most recent was turning a Foliage Army Air Warrior SKRAM bag into a much darker grey, with a quick soak in boiling Dark Green. I was trying to make it darker and a little more civvie looking without going black and I feel I succeeded. MOLLE and buckles and thread almost always take the dye differently.

I've had plenty of experience with spray painting nylon: the trick is to do more very light coats, than one big coat. If you are going for a camo pattern, whether stenciled on or just rough stripes and splotches, generally use the lightest color as base. And plan on airing it out for at least several days.

14. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Closest I ever came was using permanent marker to cover up some white on an otherwise black pack. The Navy required the bag to be all black if you wanted to wear on your shoulder. It worked ok, but doesn’t have a large selection of colors isn’t going to work on all colors.

15. Quino171

Quino171 Empty Pockets

Any pics? I have an older Camelbak BFM in ACU I would like to turn into an GHB. Trying to lose the MIL look

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk