1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Collapsible/Pocket Cup

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by wilrader, Dec 30, 2008.

1. wilrader

wilrader Empty Pockets

I searched and searched and was quite surprised not being able to find a topic on this! I've always found it handy to have some sort of cup on my person at all times for when you need one. Most commonly in those dehydrated moments at the water coolers and there being no cups left. I usually just store a crappy little flat paper cup in my wallet, however those wear out quite quickly, typically after one use. I've seen cups like these all around, and in fact just recently found that I have a plastic one in an old junk drawer. However, I imagine something like that is not only quite clunky (all that stainless steel just moving around), but also bulky. Surely the EDC'ers here have come up with some way of storing a cup of some sort on their persons at all time that doesn't wear out and is reusable?

Also, your hand(s) don't count! :rolleyes:

Wil

2. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I have one! Love it!

3. k13pt0

k13pt0 Empty Pockets

i dont happen to have one of these (yet :p) but i have heard of the squishy bowls by guyotdesigns Here ... they just fold up nicely and pop up when released, you can see a couple of videos on youtube on these.

now i dont remember where i saw this (lost the link in my bookmarks) but if i recall someone said that you could use a potato chip bag as a cup... it folds up tightly and doesnt weigh much at all... just a thought though.

-Abe

4. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

To further the squishy bowl design, here is a similar design, only in a shot glass size, that would be even more compact. :)

5. wilrader

wilrader Empty Pockets

That squishy shot glass sized cup is quite an interesting idea... the only problem with it I imagine is how would you keep it squished down all the time?

Bags or containers, such as potato chip bags or ziplock bags would probably work also, this is true. Reading the forums and a few other places a little more and it seems even a condom would work... but let's be honest here: what man would be found drinking anything from a condom? :lolhammer:

They have those origami/foldable paper cups you can do, but I imagine those would fall apart quite quickly. It got me to thinking and I wonder if it would be possible to use a light but flexible metal sheet (like aluminum but thinner.. thicker than foil but less so than a can) where you can fold it and unfold it as you need. Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies!

6. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

I carry the Guyot Designs 6oz cup in my bag, mainly for coffee. I press it "flat," fold it in half & wrap a rubber band around it. Pardon the fuzzy pic. This one is worth at least 50-60 words. Enough to get the idea:
    [​IMG]
    Not flat, but fairly compact. It could go in a jacket pocket.

If I had to go completely flat, I'd try the Flatworld Orikaso Cup.

7. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I liked the Squishy Bowl, but had too much trouble keeping it compressed. These days I carry an Orikaso bowl in the back pocket of my vest and it works beautifully. It stays completely flat, weighs almost nothing, and holds anything from hot soup to cold water.

--Bob Q

8. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

lok for flex-cup=swedish army cup its my option

9. wilrader

wilrader Empty Pockets

Faca: I'm not able to find anything about a "flex-cup" on the internet, unless we're talking about the kind of cup that goes around a guys... package. Soo... perhaps you could provide a link or more information?

bquinlan: Those look interesting, but can you fold them up smaller than they appear to be in their "flat" state? How small can you fold them if so?

dovk0802: A rubber band.. of course! Thanks for the picture!

10. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Squishy bowls are made of food grade silicone so they are very flexible and the photo in DOVK0802's post actually is a squishy bowl with a rubber band around it. That's about as small as the 6 oz. can be compacted but they can pretty much fit in wherever you think something that size would fit. They have a very big cool factor, too.

11. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I don't think they would hold up too well if you folded them anywhere except along the creases. I have a large pocket in the back of my vest that is just the right size for the bowl when flat.

--Bob Q

12. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

bad spelling sorry
    here it´shttp://www.aakamilitary.com/flexi_cup.cfm

13. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I always carry a 1-pint Nalgene. My EDC bag happens to have a water bottle pouch on the outside, but the 1-pint is small enough that I can put it inside my bag if need be. It even fits in the pocket of my Columbia winter jacket.

14. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the squishy cup. I carry a squishy bowl and cup in my bag. Last winter I used them often for canned soups and beverages at work.

15. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

I had a supercompact cup for water back in the 1980s. It was a couple of very thin stainless steel sheets with two rivets holding them together. They were shaped so that you could press down in the middle and the two sheets would form sort of a shallow cone until you flattened them again. It couldn't stand up by itself, but it could fit you your wallet. Don't remember where I got it. Also, the problem was that it developed a small leak in the seam between the two sheets fairly quickly.

16. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

wow now i know im not the only one who shops there at this forum :lolhammer: :p

17. Longsword

Longsword Empty Pockets

18. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

I thought about those fold-a-cups, but I used to work with a fellow who used one for his dip cup... & coffee cup. It made me sick to watch at the time & the memory is triggering a little PTSD :green:

19. GQGeek81

GQGeek81 Loaded Pockets

I saw a cup a few years ago being sold to canoeists paddling in clean water. It was basically a pocket of drybag material that you dipped into the water you were in and drank with. It would be super compact and light but here's my big issue with cups.. I want something that can hold up to a hot cup of coffee or tea and insulating enough it won't burn me while I hold said cup of coffee or tea. It would also be a big plus if it had a capacity large enough to mix in one of the many drink mixes in the tiny packets (like the crystal light singles).
    The telescoping cups always look close to being what I want except they only hold a few ounces.
    I'm probably going to try the squishy bowl/cup product. I've had my eye on it a little while now but I'm not sure that's going to cut it either.

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Please don't ever bring this up again. :green: :green: :green:

I have two of the original Orikaso cups, but I found them to get rather flimsy when filled with hot liquids. Mind you, they didn't actually collapse, but they sure felt as if they could.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Coghlan's makes a small soft plastic Fold-a-Cup that isn't as larg or compact, but is cheap, widely available and performs well, at least in my experience.