1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cold Steel?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by troutster52, Oct 20, 2017.

1. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

I have recently become more aware of the Cold Steel brand of knives and tools. Looking around youtube, it seems like people have strong opinions and love them or hate them? What are your experiences with Cold Steel? Have one? Love it or hate it?

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have a couple cold steel knives and a machete by their hand. They don't make the best products in the world but they are relatively cheap giving them still very decent value for money all things considered. 'You get what you pay for' applies here.

3. troutster52

curious what models you have

4. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Their old stuff was pretty good, at least their fixed blades in Carbon V were, and their Japanese built knves were also quite decent. I have a very early run Recon Tanto which is simply a tank, and a couple of more recent other fixed blades, but none of their current offerings ddo absolutely nothing for me. There are a few specific past models I would happily buy if I could find them.

Honestly, I cannot see ever buying a new knife from them ever again though.

Many people dislike them for a few reasons; primarily their pushing much of their manufacturing to china, or taiwan, or where tf ever in Asia it is now. Their move to cheap steels also put off more than a few people. Oh yeah, their ' proof' videos are ridiculous and pissed off more than a few people. And don't forget their legally threatening people for using the term San Mai, even though it is a process older than the companys owner - who somehow managed to trademark the term.

As a company, they have their fans, but many people avoid them due to the above reasons - and others I have not mentioned...

5. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Yes, I had an American Lawman in CTS XHP. It’s a f-ing tank, for real and came sharp as anything out of the box. Nothing to complain about really. You can love or hate their bold style. But that’s a different story.

Why did I say “had”? Well I sold it. Just a little to clumsy for me. You can open it one handed, but it’s not snappy. Releasing the lock takes some pretty good force, which is good. There is, I guess, no way to accidentally release the blade. But as I said, to “clumsy” for my taste. Plus I wanted to pair down. Actually I am down to seven knives and if I need a folder that I can shake if needed, I stick with my XM-18.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Pocket bushman, some kind of old recon, kukri plus and some fixed blade of a model i cant remember.

7. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I have an old Outdoosman, which was a solid field knife at the time and still serviceable nearly 20 years later. Have also used a number of their pocket folders, which eventually got lost.

Recently I have purchased a half dozens of their Sharkie markers for me and gifts. They make some quasi novelty items which are neat, but I haven't bought a CS knife for years.

I lose or damage knives, so I stopped buying upscale knives awhile back. Generally I will buy a CRKT as my first choice these days. I recently got a Minimalist Bowie which has grown on me.

8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Most of their knives are too large for my tastes, but I recently picked up a Tuff Lite plain edge. It's a great little utility knife. Fits well in the hand, has a big thick blade that came sharp and cuts well. The clip is a little tight and won't grab onto my sweat pants, but it's fine on jeans. It is very easy to open one handed. The Tri-ad lock is very interesting. It locks up very solidly and holds on very tight. It takes a lot of pressure to release the lock, to the point where it is very difficult to close it one handed. I like that there are a few color options for the tuff lite and mine is the green, which is a little friendly looking than plain old black. It feels like a bigger, badder version of the Spyderco dragonfly. The ergonomics are similar, which means they are excellent. I picked it up with the intention of acquiring a blade that can be used easily with gloves and it's not too bad to use with my cheap work gloves. It's fairly easy to open with gloves and only a little difficult to close and return to my pocket. It's just a great, little rough use blade for a decent price.

Moshe ben David and HVACn00b like this.
  9. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

All of my Cold Steel products have been sharp out of the box, and have held up quite well to the tasks I've put them through.
    some of their stuff doesn't appeal to me, but the ones I do have fit my hand, and wallet nicely.

10. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

^This^
    I've owned Cold Steel products since the late 80s. I've never had one fail.

11. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

I have/had a handful of Cold Steel knives. Fit and finish and build quality are all impeccable.

Triad lock can be sticky on release. They’re also on the lower side of the blade-to-handle ratio scale. Clips are usually too tight - a lot of the blame for that goes to the super grippy handle material.

A lot of people don’t like their marketing. A lot of people don’t like their owner. A lot of people don’t like their tactical aestethic. But I would not hesitate to buy a CS knife I liked the look of - I know I’m going to get a well-made knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Biolabob

Biolabob Loaded Pockets

If I could sum them up in one sentence: the strongest locks for the best price.

With the new CTS XHP Steel these things are built to last even with abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Just thought; there is a German word that works for them “unkaputtbar”.

14. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think Cold Steel once had a decent katana...not that I've ever had a katana. My knife friend told me about it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

15. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

I have a Finn hawk. Very good blade, easily beats my mora knives edge retention wise. I also have a peacemaker in the same steel, it’s tough and holds a great edge. I have a leatherneck SF in D2 and it’s the same story but it holds its edge forever. I got the SF as a gift and never believed the D2 would hold up being long and thin. I’ve beat it through the toughest knotted oak, honey locust and hickory on below zero F days and it was still shaving sharp after splitting enough wood to run a fire several hours.

They are good knives, the steels are great, they really are. Steel snobs who cut nothing but cardboard or paper might not like them but for actual users they are better than other brands in the same price ranges.

troutster52 likes this.
  16. troutster52

I had my eye on a Mora but saw they have a knock of it. Finn hawk is the mora competitor, it sounds like, and I am happy to hear it works nice. Price point is pretty comparable Mora and Cold Steel right?

17. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER Loaded Pockets

I got several Cold Steel knives,they are sharp and take a beating, some old carbon v knives were some of the best.

18. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Heyyyyyy! Don’t talk like this about us. We need at least S35V to open a letter or *drum roll* break down an occasional card board box.

No, but seriously, all cliches and false romantic ideas aside, I wish I was born and raised into some kind of farm situation. When you have a job like me, you create nothing, make nothing, and achieve nothing. Yes, I know, farm work (or any other physical labor) is harder than my job. But it (so I assume) gives you pride and satisfaction. Mine only gives me the hollow feeling of nothing, but maybe anger.

19. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I have several Cold Steel products. I'm no fan boy but I do believe their stuff to be of great quality. I have several Spydercos, Kershaws, Benchmades, CRKTs, 1 San Ren Mu, 1 Buck, a couple Bokers, a couple Shrades, 1 Queen Steel, and I have to say my Cold Steel knives are my go-to dirty job rough and tumble knives.

20. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I've never had any knife fail on me - unless you want to count the disposable blade of a folding utility knife popping out. I've yet to be able to embrace Coldsteel's styling so I've never owned one.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk