1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cold Steel Talwar?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by baconboyrlz, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I didn't, had no idea.

But, I can't say it really surprises me... :(

GiraffeHooves and Sriracha like this.
  2. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

Given that some of their greatest products including the tri-ad lock came out in the last ten years, I'm not going to take that criticism too seriously.

The Voyager and Recon Tri Ad folders? The Espadas? The Tuff Lites? Their Laredo and Natchez bowies?

Even some of their economy models, like the Tanto Lite or the Outdoorsman Lite are extremely good value for money, and people who've tested them have found that the 4116 Krupp might be cheap steel, but it's also quite effective.

As for the Mini Tuff Lite, there's nothing wrong with them. I carry one every day.

EDIT: Here're my Talwars.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Freman, Sep 25, 2014
    WichitaJLJ and Montani like this.
  3. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

There is what looks like a pretty good Chinese copy of the Cold Steel Spartan. Of course Cold Steel aren't exactly expensive knives so the Chinese copy is only about half the price of the original. Why buy the copy for that price difference?

It's not like a Spyderco Southard or something like that where there's a price difference of hundreds of dollars.

4. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

It arrived! I like it a lot as I thought I would, and some comparisons with my other Cold Steel Knives.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

My dad, unwittingly I'm sure, bought a CS Black rhino or white rhino or something and gifted it to me during the holidays. I had never seen one before, looked it up, and sure as you know what, it was a knockoff. The F&F were slightly off, but is massive, a quarter inch thick blade, like 7 inches long closed, just huge. So as a conversation piece, it is great, but even if it was real, I can't see myself ever, even if NYC become occupied, carrying around that much weight in steel. Unless that weight shoots bullets.

GiraffeHooves likes this.
  6. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

What are your impressions of the new knife? I have yet to see one other than in pictures.

Auxiliaryjohn and baconboyrlz like this.
  7. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

I really like it! It is very lightweight for such a large knife. It does take up quite a bit of space in your pocket, but it is light enough to not notice it as much. It came extremely sharp out of the box as expected of a cold steel knife. It is easily one of the comfiest knives I've ever held in my hand, the others being the large voyager, code 4, and ZT 0562. What surprised me the most though, was that I didn't have to bend the pocket clip out a bit so that the G10 wouldn't completely destroy my pockets. The wave feature that you can do with the Demko thumbplate is a little different from a normal Emerson Wave feature, but works just as well, if not a little better. Overall, it is a fantastic knife, the only gripe I have is I wish they made a 3.5 inch bladed version. Hope this helps!

GiraffeHooves and Montani like this.
  8. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

Much help, thank you for your thoughts. Looks like you made a good purchase...so if I have to get one it's not my fault!

9. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

Well, this forum is full of enablers.

GiraffeHooves and Montani like this.
  10. Auxiliaryjohn

Auxiliaryjohn Loaded Pockets

Tell me about it.;)

baconboyrlz likes this.
  11. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

I picked up an interesting knife today.

Cold Steel Scimitar, fully serrated 4" with a titanium liner lock. I don't know whether it's the VG-1 or AUS8A version though.

[​IMG]

WichitaJLJ likes this.
  12. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

I have the 4" Talwar and it's one of my favorite CS knives. It is a bit bigger than I typically carry... but it's so good that I can overlook the extra size. It's light for it's size, it's ergos are outstanding, it's blade is an awesome slicer... and it's just dead sexy. :)

As for CS's G10... it does smooth out some with use and it's not nearly as bad as it is when brand new. And a little sanding under the clip (and I actually pull the clips on all my CS knives out a good bit to loosen them up some) and it's no longer a pocket shredder.

All in all a great knife... I highly recommend it.

As for Lynn Thompson... I think people take him (and CS's marketing in general) far more seriously than he himself does.

Montani and baconboyrlz like this.
  13. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

4 inch Talwar owner,....and Tuff lite, mini Tuff lite, and American Lawman old model and new. All decent knives for the money. People gripe about the lock, but really, are you in a hurry to unlock the knife? I have been in a hurry to open knives before, but closing one is usually a deliberate task that I am not in a rush to do. Yes, they are a little stiff, but I would rather they take a little effort to close, than fold up on my fingers.

jon1all, Montani and baconboyrlz like this.
  14. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

And with any Tri-Ad lock you can disassemble the knife, remove the leaf spring that causes the lock bar to be stiff and carefully bend the spring to loosen its tension (and then re-install it of course). Several of my CS knives were overly stiff from the factory, but after tweaking the springs are very nice now and smooth as butter. :)