1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cold Steel: Novelty or Quality?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Thunderwood, Jun 12, 2014.

1. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

2. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I have a few Cold Steel larger knives, I love them.
    Most of their stuff is well priced, and I have not had any issues with the abuse I have put mine through.
    They arent known for small pocket knives, but if you want something larger, large camping fixed blade, machete, kukri, axe, they are great.

Thunderwood likes this.
  3. azJim

azJim Loaded Pockets

I have used the Voyager folder for years. The tanto point works well as a chisel or carbon scraper, blade cuts boxes, rope etc. with ease, and the serrations are perfect for stripping wire.

Thunderwood likes this.
  4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

@bleh
    I find that annoying too, and the proof videos are kinda jokes now (IMHO). The solid proof videos and the other older ones were actually decent and focused less on weapon and more on abusing the knife to show what it'll take.
    If you can get past the mall ninja part (and the funky looking crew- they were all dressed in full pirate costumes at the NRA show) they're decent knives.
    I'll add to my previous comment and say that Cold Steel is really the only company out there that is doing what they do. No other company makes these off the wall, huge, menacing, tough knives with any semblance of quality, not to mention at a decent price. The marketing is annoying and mall-ninjaish but the products are decent for what they are.
    Also, I unfortunately didn't have a chance to buy one of the Carbon V fixed blades- they were made by Camillus and I've heard from many people that they were great. Camillus closed before I got a chance to buy one.
    I also wanted to try one of the Country Classics... those looked interesting.

LustrousaurusRex and Thunderwood like this.
  5. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

Okay, I was going to bash CS and tell you they are anything but Quality but now that I think about it. I really miss my CS Voyageur Tanto first gen. I sold it and now I regret it, cause it came out razor sharp when I sent it in to have it re-sharpened.

Still kicking my self over that decision. The only thing I didn't like about the blade I had, was the inability to switch the clip, cause it was molded to the scales.

FACE

snaplok and Thunderwood like this.
  6. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Loaded Pockets

Not a big fan but the Spetsnaz shovel is a great piece of kit saved my bacon a few times this winter getting my car unstuck. [​IMG]

Thunderwood likes this.
  7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I'm not really a fan of the Cold Steel marketing and aesthetic, that said they do generally make pretty well-made knives. They aren't likely to fold up or break on you although some models can be pretty rough around the edges (Ti-Lite, my torn up pants pockets and I are looking at YOU).

I think F&F is generally superior on the big three (Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw) but Cold Steel are more than just serviceable knives and they offer all sorts of designs that the big three don't usually touch on. The prices are often pretty good too, at least from the last time I looked at their gear.

thatotherguy, Blerv and snaplok like this.
  8. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

CS are anything but novelty knives (which implies that they are junk knives). You may not like their marketing tactics... you may not like their style/aesthetics... but the knives themselves are well built using good quality materials... and can take a beating. No novelty....

9. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

my first CS came out of the last pass-around box... a beast of a fixed blade and I love it already. I'm not sure the model, but I've used it several times in the short time I've had it and I think it's a swell knife.